Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s BAD Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post of the forums.
I am sorry if I sounded mad, but I am mad at Tesla’s lack of the basic customer service respect.

I have been long a fan of Tesla. I have the Tesla Solar since 2016 (when they were SolarCity), and I bought my Model 3 LR non-AWD in October 2018 under the impression that Tesla has the BEST customer service ever.

This might be a bit long, but you can skip to the last section if you do not care about the details.

Tesla claims they do not pay for advertising their car, but now I strongly believe they target (semi?)famous social media figures with perks and special services to give the illusion of good customer service.

So here is my story, and you be the judge.

- Referral Link: I bought my Model 3 using my referral link that I have through Tesla Solar: Did not get any credit. Contacted them asking about it, no response till this day!

- Delivery: I read about the magical experience of delivering the car to your home. Asked about it, they said I have to go pick it up from the dealership. When I went there, the agent told me they do deliver to “some” customers. These were exactly his words. When I asked him who are these some customers, he shrugged his shoulders.

- Quality of Delivery: The car -as I read on many sites from new owners- did have some quality issues. A paint chip on the side door, alignment was off, some glue protruding from the roof glass, and side mirror modeling coming off (this is a brand new car on a delivery date). I was blown away with the car, I loved it. When I brought these points to their attention, he told me I can leave it to fix them or schedule an appointment for service. However, the car had EAP and Summon Enabled! I did not order them, so it was a big happy surprise to see them enabled. When I asked him about them, he told me to enjoy them (no there was not expiration date for some trial period or something).

- Service: I scheduled an appointment to take care of these things. They fixed everything except the paint chip. They claimed to touched it, but that was not true. They did not even bother doing anything about it. I decided to live with the chip.

- More Service: Windshield modeling started popping up, with squeaking steering wheel and driver window. It took more than a month to find an appointment, but they fixed them.

- Service at home: I always read about the famous Tesla Service Vehicle that saves customer a lot of time by magically coming to your location to fix any issues. I had scree in my rear tire. Called them, and they sent some other third party company to replace the tire (I read people saying the service vehicle CAN fix tires on spot), and he told me Tesla will contact me regarding the tire. After a month they told me they couldn’t fix it, and I owe them $300 for a tire!!! I could have done it (replaced it even) much cheaper at a Tire shop!

Finally:
I was fine with all the above since I got the EAP and Summon for free. Don’t me wrong, I loved the car, and driving it was a magical experience. Until two weeks ago, I parked my car in my very tight garage using summon. Woke up, could not get it out as they disabled summon for me. It turned out to enable summon (I only care about summon), their website says I have to pay $9000!!! Imagine how much I had to squeeze myself to get the car out of the garage.

Adding salt to injury, the same car I bought, I could have gotten AWD with EAP enabled at a CHEAPER price now on Tesla. Yes, the tax credit is less, but even with that, it is still cheaper - do the math.
I read many people who ordered the cars late last year (like me) got the EAP free upgrade to cover for the price difference.

I already contacted them more than three times (email,twitter), and still not even a single response. Calling them will place you on a 30 minute hold.

Meanwhile, Elon’s and Tesla’s twitter feed is flooded by praises to their awesome customer service! Where is that?

PS: I have a neighbor who bought Model S P100D brand new, and had much worse experience than me that he had to beg them to take it back, and they still they wouldn’t. He sold it cheap to Carguru or something just to get over all the issues and bad customer service.
-

their website says I have to pay $9000!!! Imagine how much I had to squeeze myself to get the car out of the garage.

Free EAP as an error has happened to quite a few people, and Tesla usually catches up and corrects the issue later. If Summon was that necessary, you probably should have ordered it with the car originally, honestly. Not sure why you didn’t?

$9k is too much, and Tesla is known for having pricing issues on their website. They fixed the FSD upgrades, but it sounds like they didn’t fix the EAP ones. One option now will be to wait for an Autopilot trial as they usually offer you AP at a discounted price during those.

I read many people who ordered the cars late last year (like me) got the EAP free upgrade to cover for the price difference.

-

I thought that promotion only applied to folks who ordered Jan 2019 when the new AP packages came out shortly afterwards.

Adding salt to injury, the same car I bought, I could have gotten AWD with EAP enabled at a CHEAPER price now on Tesla. Yes, the tax credit is less, but even with that, it is still cheaper - do the math.

You will probably get little sympathy here on this issue. I paid $60k for my 2017 RWD model. I could buy a P model for that price today. Only constant about Tesla pricing is it always gets cheaper over time. Best to treat it like buying a new computer. Buy it then never look at the prices again until you are ready to buy the next one.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Yeah, others have got use to free trails of features not included in the cars, only to see them go away.
If you can't get your car in and out of your garage, I'm not sure any competing car would have been any better in that regard.
Sounds like you've had some issues, but in the long run they were resolved. They certainly aren't world class at customer service, but I think in the long run, you'll find the car much more reliable and less maintenance cost then the equivalent Mercedes, Audi, or BMW.
No $500 oil changes, no $75 wiper replacement, no $1500 fuel pump replacements, fewer $1500 brake jobs, etc.
Any radial tire with a screw near the sidewall is deemed unrepairable, not really a Tesla thing. Maybe there should have been some form or OEM tire replacement warranty, but I'm not sure. Best of luck.

I was prepared to read something worse

When you pay more than $50K for a vehicle that built its brand on out-of-the-world customer service and reliability and get less than-chrysyler-dealership treatment, then yes, I will be disappointed when someone does not respond to my emails/calls/concerns.

Think of the people who paid for FSD. When/if the time comes for their upgrade, will they be listened to?

Free EAP as an error has happened to quite a few people, and Tesla usually catches up and corrects the issue later. If Summon was that necessary, you probably should have ordered it with the car originally, honestly. Not sure why you didn’t?

$9k is too much, and Tesla is known for having pricing issues on their website. They fixed the FSD upgrades, but it sounds like they didn’t fix the EAP ones. One option now will be to wait for an Autopilot trial as they usually offer you AP at a discounted price during those.

I thought that promotion only applied to folks who ordered Jan 2019 when the new AP packages came out shortly afterwards.

I still do not care much for FSD or EAP. In fact, I was very close to make an accident with EAP was enabled. I ONLY care about the dumb summon (not the newly glorified summon). But even then, upgrading to get summon means $8K more. Thank you, I prefer to lose more weight and squeeze myself more lol

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
Sorry to hear about your problems. Yeah, others have got use to free trails of features not included in the cars, only to see them go away.
If you can't get your car in and out of your garage, I'm not sure any competing car would have been any better in that regard.
Sounds like you've had some issues, but in the long run they were resolved. They certainly aren't world class at customer service, but I think in the long run, you'll find the car much more reliable and less maintenance cost then the equivalent Mercedes, Audi, or BMW.
No $500 oil changes, no $75 wiper replacement, no $1500 fuel pump replacements, fewer $1500 brake jobs, etc.
Any radial tire with a screw near the sidewall is deemed unrepairable, not really a Tesla thing. Maybe there should have been some form or OEM tire replacement warranty, but I'm not sure. Best of luck.

Do not get me wrong, I LOOOOVE the car. It is amazing. It just feels sad that I do not know what is hidden to us customers if/when we have issues with the car and have to go to the dealership or deal with CS. I am just saying what is being portrayed is different from real life experience.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
You will probably get little sympathy here on this issue. I paid $60k for my 2017 RWD model. I could buy a P model for that price today. Only constant about Tesla pricing is it always gets cheaper over time. Best to treat it like buying a new computer. Buy it then never look at the prices again until you are ready to buy the next one.
Fair enough, expect it has been less than 6 months since I bought the vehicle and the price went down significantly on the SAME technology.

Listen, I do not expect them to give it for free here to me, and I do not care honestly. I just care about the customer service experience. They already ignored 3 messages, and phone hold times are crazy. That is just sad!

Chrysler -my other minivan- has a much better and respectful response times.

So you paid $49K for a LR RWD and got $7.5K in tax credit right? That's $41.5K and you didn't pay for and shouldn't have received EAP or FSD, but it seems like you got a free trial for a while.

Today you can order an AWD for $48K with a tax credit of $1.9K, so that's about $46K total and it comes with AP (which is different from EAP) and doesn't include Summon.

I don't think you really overpaid that much?

Listen, I do not expect them to give it for free here to me, and I do not care honestly. I just care about the customer service experience. They already ignored 3 messages, and phone hold times are crazy. That is just sad!

Partly because people email them constantly about small price changes!

Reactions: focher
My car does not have AP so if I wanted to upgrade all the way to FSD it would be $3K for AP + $6K for FSD. So $9K sounds right.

The other stuff sounds like run of the mill Tesla stuff. Yes their customer service was better before the Model 3 came out. But now they are just selling too many cars to provide anything beyond average customer service.

Reactions: Vegaforce
I just care about the customer service experience. They already ignored 3 messages, and phone hold times are crazy. That is just sad!

You won’t get any argument from me that customer service and communication is terrible. It has been the worst we have experienced with any car brand so far. We very well may jump ship to another brand next go around.

We very well may jump ship to another brand next go around.

It seems you like the brand, having owned three Tesla's, but I agree customers service needs a lot of improvement.
My hope is they will grow as a car company and better handle that aspect of the business. I think true competition will be the motivation that drives Tesla to improve. It seems they're too focus on expanding product offerings and market penetration now rather than customer service.
I still believe they offer a compelling product with no equal, and fortunately doesn't require much "customer service", after initial build issues are resolved.

That’s crazy...
I do see your frustration with the built up “best customer service ever part.” Tesla has done a great job of promoting this.
They dedicated all their energy to survive the ramp up for the model 3 that they forgot to scale service and quality customer support.
That being said I hope they return to their roots in terms of amazing customer service. If they don’t within a few years there will not be much of a differentiator between Tesla and the rest.

Reactions: DJVoorhees
It seems you like the brand, having owned three Tesla's, but I agree customers service needs a lot of improvement.
My hope is they will grow as a car company and better handle that aspect of the business. I think true competition will be the motivation that drives Tesla to improve. It seems they're too focus on expanding product offerings and market penetration now rather than customer service.
I still believe they offer a compelling product with no equal, and fortunately doesn't require much "customer service", after initial build issues are resolved.

They make amazing cars. However, if you end up with the short end of the quality stick, you have to deal with the service centers a lot. My 3 has only been in maybe 4 or 5 times, not too bad, but our S.... that car is temperamental to say the least. We rarely go a few months before something else breaks, from the power steering to the MCU to major rear suspension work to little things like door handles. When we first bought customer service was great- super easy and lots of communication. Didn’t mind the poor reliability so much. But now, every service center visit is a chore that results in multiple 3 hour round trip drives and too much time wasted.

Tesla's service was legendary, until the ,model 3 came along. Tesla has not been able to ramp up any other part of their business to match the number of cars they now produce.

My car stopped charging at 800 miles, the app scheduled me for 12 days out, then the date changed without my consent or input. You cant actually speak to a real live person at a service center either. They seem to treat your 40-70k car as a toy rather than a means for f people to get to work or enable their lives. It might catch up at some point, but probably not anytime soon.

You won’t get any argument from me that customer service and communication is terrible. It has been the worst we have experienced with any car brand so far. We very well may jump ship to another brand next go around.

This is a fair statement. If customer service is a major part of your purchase decision and a major part of owning a car, I can see this influencing anyone. Service is different from location to location though. It’s great where I am. Way better than BMW.

Given that this car will require less service on a regular basis, and I personally am not hung up on a little more effort to get things done if needed, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase any car (that was superior) even if I knew ahead of time the service wasn’t stellar.

I do think that anyone buying a car in any price range should do their research first. For any mfg.
It would avoid buyers remorse if service is number one priority.

Knowing what I now know about Tesla and other comparable cars. I would never buy another brand right now under any circumstance.
Who knows what changes in the market will occur in two or three years from now though.

Reactions: Phlier
Reading comments in this forum is enough to scare any new buyer off from purchasing a Tesla. So I would be curious to hear from members who own a Tesla and wish they did not purchase one.

If you could undo your purchase and be driving a Mercedes, BMW, or other ICE vehicle today, would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.