Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla account and phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a stupid question, but here it goes after coming empty handed with my searches.

I got delivery of my Y yesterday and I’m trying to pair my wife’s phone.

I got my account and phone paired (phone key). Now I need to set-up my wife’s phone... should she create a new Tesla account or use mine?

she created an account, but there is not a vehicle assigned to her (it is assigned to me) so that didn’t seem to work. She then used my credentials in her Tesla App, but now she is getting the notifications and not me.

what is the correct way to have my phone as the primary?

TIA and Happy New Year!

I just paired my wife's phone. Didn't do anything with the account. Left my phone in the house (this was before priority setting if that makes any difference), paired her phone using the credit card key.

As Infarction said, adding another driver is done through "Manage" for your car. Once that is done the new driver can log into the app, and then be registered as a key.

Add authorized driver
  1. Log into your Tesla account
  2. From "home", find the car in question, and press "manage"
  3. On the manage screen for the car, select "Car Access" to expand it and then "Add driver"
More details here: Tesla Account Support

After this, the new driver will get an email to complete setting up their Tesla account. Then they can log in using the app.​

Next, set their phone up as a phone key.

Do this part in the car:
  1. Open the Tesla app on the new driver's phone, tap "Phone Key" and click "Start"
  2. Tap a registered keycard behind the cup holders when prompted
More details on this part in the Manual on p. 8​

Bluetooth pairing (optional)

Lastly, all of the above does not pair the new driver's phone for Bluetooth audio. They will want to do that as well.​

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation