Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Adds ‘Enhanced Anti-theft’ Sensor to Online Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has added to its online store a new $350 security feature for Model S and Model X vehicles called “Enhanced Anti-theft.”

Here’s the feature’s description from the Tesla website: “Increase your vehicle’s protection with active sensor technology designed to detect motion inside the cabin as well as sense if the vehicle is moved or tilted. It will warn against potential theft with an audible alarm.”

The kit includes a sensor to be installed in the car’s headliner. Tesla notes that the sensor is not compatible with vehicles built before September 16, 2015.

The price includes shipping and installation at a Service Center. Customers will be contacted by the Service Center to schedule an installation appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla has added to its online store a new $350 security feature for Model S and Model X vehicles called “Enhanced Anti-theft.” Here’s the feature’s description from the Tesla website: “Increase your vehicle’s protection with active sensor technology designed to detect motion inside the cabin as well as sense if the vehicle is moved or...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/11/14/tesla-adds-enhanced-anti-theft-sensor-to-online-store/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

And if you have a glass roof and no headliner...then what?

I've always wondered why we can't just have an app option that will alert us when the vehicle is taken out of park. If I go into a store or park the car for the night in my garage, I should be able to enable "security" from my app. If the car is opened or taken out of park, the app would signal an alarm letting me know that the car is unexpectedly being accessed. It could even prevent the car from being put into drive.

Do Tesla's have theft issues?

Less than other cars, I think, but it seems the repeater attacks can work if proximaty unlocking is on and pin to drive isn't. Some have also been stolen by people who obtained the key in some fashion.

Tesla has taken a few actions recently to address this, like adding pin to drive and now this sensor option - and I read somewhere that the newest firmware may have a lockout to prevent mobile access being turned off without authentication.

The store asks you what color headliner you have and doesn't mention glass roof but hope you're right.

I don't know about the S and don't have one handy to look at, but on my X, the dome lights have a black plastic edge around the insert, which blends into my dark headliner. I assume that would be cream on light cars, and they would be trying to match that.

Or the post that said it was in the dome lights could be wrong, but that seems less likely.

Do Tesla's have theft issues?

Less than other cars, I think, but it seems the repeater attacks can work if proximaty unlocking is on and pin to drive isn't. Some have also been stolen by people who obtained the key in some fashion.

Tesla has taken a few actions recently to address this, like adding pin to drive and now this sensor option - and I read somewhere that the newest firmware may have a lockout to prevent mobile access being turned off without authentication.

It might also help with the window smash and grabs that are becoming common in the Bay Area. See lots of posts here and on reddit with Teslas and smashed rear triangle windows.

Tesla has added to its online store a new $350 security feature for Model S and Model X vehicles called “Enhanced Anti-theft.” Here’s the feature’s description from the Tesla website: “Increase your vehicle’s protection with active sensor technology designed to detect motion inside the cabin as well as sense if the vehicle is moved or...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/11/14/tesla-adds-enhanced-anti-theft-sensor-to-online-store/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Like so many items sold on the store, not enough info.

I had mine installed today at the local Tesla Center, but I don't have any instructions on how to use or validate it's working. I tried shifting the care with my body weight, but that didn't work. To be fair, i wasn't kicking the car or anything to test. Anyone have an idea how to see if it's working? Also, i thought i had read it came with rear window sensors, but there is nothing visible on the rear windows.