Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Adds "Superchargers Open to Non-Tesla" to Map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla has added a filter on their online Supercharger map for "Superchargers Open to Non-Tesla." Currently none in America.

1635769397414.png

10 Pilot SuCs
Charging only for Dutch residents. 0.57€ (rougly double Tesla price without subscription)
The selected locations - click on the link to check past degree of capacity utilisation and monitor if it will go up from today.
Hengelo - 12xV3 Available SuC Stalls
Duiven - 20xV2 Available SuC Stalls
Apeldoorn Oost - 20xV3 Available SuC Stalls
Zwolle - 24x - 16xV2, 8xV3 Available SuC Stalls
Eemnes - 12xV3 Available SuC Stalls
Naarden - 32xV2 Available SuC Stalls
Breukelen - 28xV2 Available SuC Stalls
Sassenheim - 12xV3 Available SuC Stalls
Meerkerk - 16xV3 Available SuC Stalls
Tilburg - 12xV3 Available SuC Stalls

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and kayak1
As above it's a trial of 10 of the larger sites in the Netherlands.

Base price 0.57€/kWh
Member price 0.24€ with €13/ mth subscription.

The member price is the same as for a Tesla owner in the Netherlands. So if you fill 40kWh, the subscription (which is month to month) makes sense.

As I understand Ionity which is the biggest 3rd party charge in Europe is 0.59€, so it's competitive against other options.

Doesn't appear to be any alteration to stalls, so it probably only works for cars with charge ports at the back left (like Tesla) or front right or front.

6D17DCF7-B13D-4261-9F47-34E48A785E7A.png

And I'm not aware of any CCS2 - CHAdeMO adapters, so no good for Leaf owners either.

As above it's a trial of 10 of the larger sites in the Netherlands.

Base price 0.57€/kWh
Member price 0.24€ with €13/ mth subscription.

The member price is the same as for a Tesla owner in the Netherlands. So if you fill 40kWh, the subscription (which is month to month) makes sense.

As I understand Ionity which is the biggest 3rd party charge in Europe is 0.59€, so it's competitive against other options.

Doesn't appear to be any alteration to stalls, so it probably only works for cars with charge ports at the back left (like Tesla) or front right or front.

View attachment 728253

And I'm not aware of any CCS2 - CHAdeMO adapters, so no good for Leaf owners either.
This definitely highlights another missed opportunity to standardize on something (where the plug should be). This is going to cause confusion for the other manufacturers' car owners when they charge at a SuperCharger and will be frustrating for the Tesla owners that may see an open spot only to find that the charging cable is being used by someone parked on the other side of the stall.

Yep. Already seen a few photos of a Merc EQC reversed in but effectively taking out two stalls.
(if everyone else using it is a Tesla).

Most third party chargers have much longer cables to deal with this, often with a tether system.
Possibly Tesla needs to go down that path with a different stall design.

This definitely highlights another missed opportunity to standardize on something (where the plug should be). This is going to cause confusion for the other manufacturers' car owners when they charge at a SuperCharger and will be frustrating for the Tesla owners that may see an open spot only to find that the charging cable is being used by someone parked on the other side of the stall.
I'm going to have to disagree with this.

The reason is simple: who is going to decide what is "right"? I suspect that even as a small group we would fail to come up with a consensus on which of the six options in the graphic above are "right". From a user's standpoint, I think the Nissan LEAF had it right: front dead-center charge port. Works for pull-in spots (including diagonal parking spots which you cannot legally back into); and with charging stations that are shared between two adjacent spots (if you have a car with the charge port on the side and the only empty spot is on the "wrong" side, you're out of luck); and it's likely the most convenient for home charging station installs based on how most people pull into their garage.

An automotive engineer would have a different opinion, particularly one that wanted to feature a frunk in their vehicle. It's hard to have a charge port and associated wiring right where you want to have a front storage area.

And electrical engineers would want to keep the run from the charge port to the battery's main terminals as short as possible. Based on the layout of the battery, this may favor either a front (for FWD cars) or rear (for RWD and AWD) side position.

An insurance adjuster would probably hate charge ports located on the front of the car.

And so on. And that doesn't even start to cover the religious debates of whether it's preferable to pull in or back in to spots, and how to handle things like hitch mounted bike and ski racks, and God forbid, a trailer. And how about different sized vehicles, particularly Cybertruck-size and larger vehicles that will no doubt eventually appear?

For all these reasons, I think the real thing to focus on is not where the charge port is on the vehicle, but rather the design of the charging site layout itself. There's a pretty good reason why gas pumps are located on islands rather than at the end of a parking spot.

And I get that in the early days (of which we are only just now emerging), charging stations have been relegated to the corner of the parking lot and had to be installed in the least expensive way possible, and that, coupled with the Tesla design with a frunk and the battery terminals near the rear of the car, pretty much dictated the common Supercharger site layout.

But now I think it's time to start thinking about more practical layouts with islands that can support cars pulling up in either direction and not causing an issue if they have a trailer behind them.

I'm going to have to disagree with this.

The reason is simple: who is going to decide what is "right"? I suspect that even as a small group we would fail to come up with a consensus on which of the six options in the graphic above are "right". From a user's standpoint, I think the Nissan LEAF had it right: front dead-center charge port. Works for pull-in spots (including diagonal parking spots which you cannot legally back into); and with charging stations that are shared between two adjacent spots (if you have a car with the charge port on the side and the only empty spot is on the "wrong" side, you're out of luck); and it's likely the most convenient for home charging station installs based on how most people pull into their garage.

An automotive engineer would have a different opinion, particularly one that wanted to feature a frunk in their vehicle. It's hard to have a charge port and associated wiring right where you want to have a front storage area.

And electrical engineers would want to keep the run from the charge port to the battery's main terminals as short as possible. Based on the layout of the battery, this may favor either a front (for FWD cars) or rear (for RWD and AWD) side position.

An insurance adjuster would probably hate charge ports located on the front of the car.

And so on. And that doesn't even start to cover the religious debates of whether it's preferable to pull in or back in to spots, and how to handle things like hitch mounted bike and ski racks, and God forbid, a trailer. And how about different sized vehicles, particularly Cybertruck-size and larger vehicles that will no doubt eventually appear?

For all these reasons, I think the real thing to focus on is not where the charge port is on the vehicle, but rather the design of the charging site layout itself. There's a pretty good reason why gas pumps are located on islands rather than at the end of a parking spot.

And I get that in the early days (of which we are only just now emerging), charging stations have been relegated to the corner of the parking lot and had to be installed in the least expensive way possible, and that, coupled with the Tesla design with a frunk and the battery terminals near the rear of the car, pretty much dictated the common Supercharger site layout.

But now I think it's time to start thinking about more practical layouts with islands that can support cars pulling up in either direction and not causing an issue if they have a trailer behind them.

You bring up some great points, but I think the rear of the car is closer to pleasing most of your points. But in any case, EV charging is not the same as liquid refueling, I am going to guess fast chaging in less than 15-20 minutes will be many many years away. But one particular spot would make life easy for all. Cables are a trip hazard and a standard location will minimise that hazard. We can see how Tesla's standardised location in its own ecosystem makes it a breeze. I am more confused on just how much of an issue this is going to be for non Tesla customers at Tesla stalls.

Bjorn Nylands video showing the "KemPower" charging stalls however was very interesting they look the very best universal vehicle stalls I have ever seen. The cable management is great and the abulity to scan a QR code to check charging data remotely is brilliant. The stall its self is also super neat.

Link: Shell Nebbenes replaced gas pumps with fast chargers