Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla advertising $1500 price for MCU2 upgrade, but charging me $1800.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SC today told me the MCU2 upgrade is $1800 for my 2014 Model S about a week after I asked for them to install it. I didn't ask for radio and I already have LTE (if that should make a difference). I said they were incorrect, that it is $1500. The Tesla webpage here Infotainment Upgrade indicates for all other vehicles other than AP 2 or 2.5 (I don't have any AP or hardware for it) that the price is $1500. When I asked to purchase about a week ago, they told me $1500. Do you think I can get them to honor the advertised price?

My SC today told me the MCU2 upgrade is $1800 for my 2014 Model S about a week after I asked for them to install it. I didn't ask for radio and I already have LTE (if that should make a difference). I said they were incorrect, that it is $1500. The Tesla webpage here Infotainment Upgrade indicates for all other vehicles other than AP 2 or 2.5 (I don't have any AP or hardware for it) that the price is $1500. When I asked to purchase about a week ago, they told me $1500. Do you think I can get them to honor the advertised price?
Yes. It is $1500 installed.
Your SC is incorrect.

This sort of thing happens quite often for me and my spouse. We were told a service would be an extra $205 over our original quote. This was through the Tesla app. I had to approve of charges to continue work. When we picked up the car and I looked at the invoice, it said “Misc — $205.00” and no one knew why. I refused to pay it and they simply removed it. Tesla is a scoundrel. Beware.

So here is what happened, I think. Let this serve as a warning to others. Somehow, Tesla got it into their head/system that I had an Auto Pilot 2.0 computer. I was on a chat with Tesla and they told me that this is why it was $1800. They pointed to the page and said that it doesn't say hardware, it says computer: "This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles." They said that that my SC actually had a lower price than it should have been, that it should have been $2000.

However, my car was manufactured in April of 2014 which is before the AP 2.0 Computer was installed in cars. When I brought this to the attention of my SC, they told me the price was indeed $1500 and this pricing issue happened before and it was correct. So please be careful if you are told the MCU2 upgrade is anything other than what you expect. Get to the bottom of it and make check to see what AP Computer you actually have, because evidently that is the way they calculate the cost of the upgrade.

So here is what happened, I think. Let this serve as a warning to others. Somehow, Tesla got it into their head/system that I had an Auto Pilot 2.0 computer. I was on a chat with Tesla and they told me that this is why it was $1800. They pointed to the page and said that it doesn't say hardware, it says computer: "This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles." They said that that my SC actually had a lower price than it should have been, that it should have been $2000.

However, my car was manufactured in April of 2014 which is before the AP 2.0 Computer was installed in cars. When I brought this to the attention of my SC, they told me the price was indeed $1500 and this pricing issue happened before and it was correct. So please be careful if you are told the MCU2 upgrade is anything other than what you expect. Get to the bottom of it and make check to see what AP Computer you actually have, because evidently that is the way they calculate the cost of the upgrade.

I am happy to report that the SC resolved the issue and I received a new upgrade agreement with the correct price of $1500 today. One thing I'd like to note, for all the complaints that I may have had over the years, there isn't a time I can think of where I was not eventually satisfied with the final outcome. I am a happy Tesla customer.

I am happy to report that the SC resolved the issue and I received a new upgrade agreement with the correct price of $1500 today. One thing I'd like to note, for all the complaints that I may have had over the years, there isn't a time I can think of where I was not eventually satisfied with the final outcome. I am a happy Tesla customer.

But you had to argue and debate for it...isn't that the point.

Don't you think they would have happily taken the $1,800 if you didn't say anything?

I d
But you had to argue and debate for it...isn't that the point.

Don't you think they would have happily taken the $1,800 if you didn't say anything?
I really don't know. It was in the Tesla app that I was sent the message that it was a system generated price, so I don't know who I was talking to. Once I finally got a hold of someone at my service center, they immediately indicated it was a mistake and it has happened before. The SC was cool once I spoke to them, but the person messaging me in the app and Tesla customer service could have investigated my assertion that it was an error before responding in a way that indicated they thought I was mistaken—I'll give you that. They definitely made a mistake in pricing it and had I not noticed and asserted myself, I do think that I would have paid $1800. However, I don't think they intentionally priced it higher that was appropriate.

I just did it for my 2013 P85+ and I had it quotes for my P85 with AP1 late 2014... They were only going to charge 1500 plus tax for the late 2014 but said my 2013 needed a 200 dollar wire harness driving it up to over 1800.. I complained and they gave me 10% off making it 1730 but yeah... I guess it does depend if additional equipment is required for your vehical to make it work..

Sucks to suck, but glad you got it taken care of for the correct price. Most times i go to the SC i expect to pay like $300 in diag fees and it almost always comes up as goodwill or warranty and its $0. my warranty expired like 3 years ago and all that is left is the batt/drive one.
One time i had to pay $60 as a diag fee even though i told them what the problem was, and i just wanted a part and for them to just install it (SCCM its on the restricted list so i couldn't do it at home) but they said they cant just throw parts at something without doing a diag first 🤦‍♂️ what a stupid policy especially when i KNEW what part needed replacement.

Question. Mine is pre AP 2013 model S. Is 1500 worth it for faster screen an netflix or should I just take the free fix ? My screens are ok but ,, I have to let them know in the morning. I want new screens an newer mcu but spending 1650 for really just a faster screen , not sure if its worth it. They told me 1500 plus tax out the door

Reactions: BostonBurley
Question. Mine is pre AP 2013 model S. Is 1500 worth it for faster screen an netflix or should I just take the free fix ? My screens are ok but ,, I have to let them know in the morning. I want new screens an newer mcu but spending 1650 for really just a faster screen , not sure if its worth it. They told me 1500 plus tax out the doormat up to you, but for me I enjoy keeping $1650 and keeping free premium connectivity and so on. Someday when the free fix fails the mcu2 will cost half as much. Upgrade then.

I just did it for my 2013 P85+ and I had it quotes for my P85 with AP1 late 2014... They were only going to charge 1500 plus tax for the late 2014 but said my 2013 needed a 200 dollar wire harness driving it up to over 1800.. I complained and they gave me 10% off making it 1730 but yeah... I guess it does depend if additional equipment is required for your vehical to make it work..
Got my 2013 P85+ upgraded for $1500. No extra $200. Just $1500 + tax.

Reactions: WhiteWi