TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla API Token Generator

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarcusMaximus, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. coreyward

coreyward New Member

For those of you that were looking for a way to do this on the web without installing anything or using the command line, here you go!

TokensForTeslas

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  2. tllt

tllt Member

As always, be cautious about entering your Tesla credentials into someone else's site. There is always the possibility of that site saving your creds. Not a knock on your site corey, but just a general warning.

Also, it would be better for your python script if you didn't enter the password as an argument in the command line as that is shown on the screen and if in *nix systems, is logged in a cmd line history. A better method would be to use getpass to have it prompt for the password and not have it visible on the screen.

Example:

import getpass
    passwd = getpass.getpass()

• Like x 1
  3. aseabridge

aseabridge New Member

Being a developer myself I too am always concerned about security with using a Site created by anyone else. Corey looks legit and good at what he does but even so I decided to use Postman to do this instead as I didn't want to have to write and code or install NPM packages or Python.

Step 1) Download Postman App to your PC of Mac from here: Download Postman
    Step 2) Click import and enter this link: https://www.getpostman.com/collections/2fc311bd4ce4f5c52f6d
    Step 3) Fill in your username and password
    [​IMG]
    Step 4) Click 'Send', Postman will make a request to the API and return a token
    Step 5) Copy the token from the API response and use it

You should see there is no special code here and nothing custom it is just a pre-configured Postman request to help with getting a new token.

This is completely safe as you are just making a direct call to the Tesla API from your PC or Mac to get a token and are not using any 3rd party code or sites. Just be careful where you store/save the token.

Hope this helps.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 3
    • Informative x 3
  4. problem??

problem?? New Member

5. problem??

problem?? New Member

Thanks It worked perfectly!

6. Cooker

Cooker Member

Hi there. Does anybody know of an iOS app that requires token only and doesn’t require login creds. Unhappy to share latter, have token.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

#47 HankLloydRight, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Well, here's another solution that doesn't run on anyone's server, so no uploading your credentials or security concerns.

It doesn't require Python, Ruby, CURL, PHP, Postman, or using a command line in OSX or Linux.

It only requires the well-known browser plugin Tampermonkey for Chrome or Firefox (see: Tampermonkey) , and my one-line script available here:

About | Telsa API Token Generator | Userscripts | OpenUserJS

Once you install Tampermonkey, and install my script above (one click), just go to this Tesla API URL in your browser:

https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token

The script will add a form to enter your credentials, and from the same Teslamotors.com domain, submit your credentials to the API and return the JSON with your token.

• Like x 4
  8. RyanDe

RyanDe Member

How do you get energy information or is this information derived?

9. Naonak

Naonak Member

You don't. Tesla stopped providing it. You're SOL.

10. hammster

hammster New Member

Another way without using Tampermonkey or third part websites:

1. Install the Apiary chrome web extension here:
    https://chrome.google.com/.../cboekbiaoabkhgjdclenjpipcla...

(This extension lets you send requests to Tesla straight from your Chrome browser instead of going through some unknown third party!)

2. Go to https://timdorr.docs.apiary.io/...

(You should see "Console calls are private now" if you completed step #1)

3. Click "Add a new query parameter" and for "New item" type "grant_type" (without the quotes of course), hit TAB and "null" should be highlighted. Type "password"'.

grant_type is the name of the query parameter, while password is the value of the query parameter.

4. Repeat Step 3, but with each of these:
    Name: client_id, value: 81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384

Name: client_secret, value: c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3

Name: email, value: [email protected]
    Name: password, value: YOUR TESLA password

5. Then click "Call Resource"

6. You should then see a "Response" section appear. Scroll down and look for:
    "access_token": "abc123",

Copy all the text inside the second set of quotation marks (in the example that would be abc123)

That is your access token. You can use that to start your Teslafi account without giving them your login information.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 3
    • Informative x 1
  11. syoo47

syoo47 Member

Is there a similar method for listing and revoking tokens?

12. melds

melds New Member

The API seems to accept https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/revoke, but that didn't seem to delete it ({"token": (access_token), "token_type_hint"="access_token"}). The default life is 45 days but can be extended with the refresh token.

13. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Still has the same problem that you don't know what the app is actually doing with your Tesla login credentials.

15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I'm pretty sure if you change your Tesla Account password, it instantly invalidates all tokens.

• Like x 1
  16. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

@spudnik187 is the App developer. Perhaps he’ll shed some light here.

17. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Tried post man and Apiary neither seem to work 3(

18. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Use the curl script, works great on my Mac in a Terminal window, and I don't have to worry about what the code does, it's all in the single command line. Pasted the updated token to EV-FW.com and it immediately got my newest update and listed it. Sweet

-Randy

19. Tantamount

Tantamount New Member

Just heads up -- I was writing my own script to do this and after repeated 401 replies from Tesla eventually discovered that these don't work.

These do:

'client_id':'e4a9949fcfa04068f59abb5a658f2bac0a3428e4652315490b659d5ab3f35a9e',
    'client_secret':'c75f14bbadc8bee3a7594412c31416f8300256d7668ea7e6e7f06727bfb9d220',

• Informative x 1
  20. Mobsidian

Mobsidian Member

When I import that I don't see the entries populated like you have in the screenshot. What am I missing here?