Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla-apiscraper: Yet another selfhosted Teslog/Teslafi alternative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Redbrick, I don't use tesla-apiscraper (I just started using Teslamate about a month ago) but I believe most if not all of these types of applications work pretty much the same way in that they collect and log data going forward from the time that you started using the application. The data gets stored in a database which allows you to go back and see historical data and trends but only back to the point that you started using the application. So if you started using the application 7 days ago, you could go and look at the data for the past 7 days, but there is no way to go back and see the data for 8 days ago because it was never captured and saved into the database. To get the 90 selection you mentioned to actually view the last 90 days, you would have had to have the application up and logging over the past 90 days.

Hope that helps make sense of it all, although probably not what you were hoping to hear.

Thank you for responding. I did just figure that out...I need to read properly. ...I was under the impression (not sure how/why) that tesla/my car kept historical data...and this simply retrieved it. In actuality, It's exactly as you state..

Mainly I was just curious to see how my car started started life...its first few steps if you will. When I first picked it up...I was told the car would have 15 miles on it, but I saw 23...where did my car go for 8 miles? Also how did it get 15 to start with? ...just driving around the factory and loading dock? Really? ..just curious...that's all.

@Redbrick All new cars have anywhere around 10 miles on the odometer. Those miles come from a number of things:
  • Every new car (Teslas are not unique) goes through a test drive test to verify functionality, check for leaks/rattles, etc. This is done on a test track at the factory. Driving the entire test sequence once can put a couple of miles on it. If the test has to be repeated for some reason, that can push the number up.
  • Every car puts some amount of miles on it getting it loaded for transport (how much depends on where it is going). Again it is not going to be a lot, but a car might put .5-2 miles on it being staged and loaded onto the transporter (be it a car carrier or a train car).
  • Every car puts some amount of miles on it being delivered to the delivery site (car dealer, Tesla Service Center). This might be as little as a tenth of a mile at a service center being driven off a car carrier and into their lot or it might be a couple of miles.
  • Every car puts some amount of miles on it being prepped (they drive it to a place on site where someone removes all the shipping protective plastic, puts in the floor mats, etc. They then drive it to a washbay to be washed/detailed. Then the drive it somewhere to store it and finally drive it to the delivery bay or out front for the customer to receive it.
All of this can easily add up to around 10 miles or so. If there was any damage in shipping, some service centers/dealers may also run the car to a nearby bodyshop to have it repaired (I am NOT saying this happened in your case). Sometimes service centers swap cars (although that happens less for Tesla, but it does happen) and a car is delivered one site but then driven to another site and its easier and faster to just drive it rather than getting it loaded on a car carrier.

Bottom line, I don't think 15 miles is an exceptionally high number that would make me think anything unusual happened. Now a new car that had 50 or a 100 miles would be a surprise and make me think likely the car had been driven from one dealer/service center to another.

The tesla-apiscraper is a new feature released on TeslaMate about a month ago. Before that, if your car was in "go to sleep status" in TeslaMate, you might drive for up to 20 minutes before it recorded any data because TeslaMate was waiting to poll the car. The only solution was to send a manuall http command to tell TeslaMate to wake up. If you activate the apiscraper feature, it checks the API regularly and supposedly will wake up and start tracking the car within a minute or so of a drive starting...

• Informative
Reactions: Morristhecat
@Redbrick All new cars have anywhere around 10 miles on the odometer. Those miles come from a number of things:
  • Every new car (Teslas are not unique) goes through a test drive test to verify functionality, check for leaks/rattles, etc. This is done on a test track at the factory. Driving the entire test sequence once can put a couple of miles on it. If the test has to be repeated for some reason, that can push the number up.
  • Every car puts some amount of miles on it getting it loaded for transport (how much depends on where it is going). Again it is not going to be a lot, but a car might put .5-2 miles on it being staged and loaded onto the transporter (be it a car carrier or a train car).
  • Every car puts some amount of miles on it being delivered to the delivery site (car dealer, Tesla Service Center). This might be as little as a tenth of a mile at a service center being driven off a car carrier and into their lot or it might be a couple of miles.
  • Every car puts some amount of miles on it being prepped (they drive it to a place on site where someone removes all the shipping protective plastic, puts in the floor mats, etc. They then drive it to a washbay to be washed/detailed. Then the drive it somewhere to store it and finally drive it to the delivery bay or out front for the customer to receive it.
All of this can easily add up to around 10 miles or so. If there was any damage in shipping, some service centers/dealers may also run the car to a nearby bodyshop to have it repaired (I am NOT saying this happened in your case). Sometimes service centers swap cars (although that happens less for Tesla, but it does happen) and a car is delivered one site but then driven to another site and its easier and faster to just drive it rather than getting it loaded on a car carrier.

Bottom line, I don't think 15 miles is an exceptionally high number that would make me think anything unusual happened. Now a new car that had 50 or a 100 miles would be a surprise and make me think likely the car had been driven from one dealer/service center to another.
Thanks for that explanation. I've read about those possibilities. Thing is when I picked my car I found hand prints all over the back window and looked like some knuckle head parked a cup of coffee on the roof and water collects around it when it gets wet...ah well...silly things like that gets me. ....now the api is randomly showing a 408 error...Tesla server is slow or something? ..the api also randomly stops. I need to figure this out. otherwise this scraper running on the pi is pretty neat.

I setup tesla-apiscraper on a new Raspberry Pi 4 and encountered this problem of the car not sleeping.
I have this problem too, the car doesn't sleep, if it does, it's only for 2 minutes or so.
How do I uninstall it? I have removed the folder "tesla-apiscraper", but car still not sleeping.
I may have to backup TeslaMate data & format the SD card, I'm having issued logging into the desktop, accepting usernane/password & looping back to login screen, despite trying to fix it.

@possum22 I believe teslamate...you need to setup a domain...security the whole works. If you're like me, and already have a self host webserver, and mail server running....I'd rather this than messing with a reverse proxy....sounds crazy.
I open up a DMZ port on my router, I can access TeslaMate on my PI, but unable to change anything, as it points to a in-accessible private IP address(192.168.xxx.xx) on my home network.