Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app adding up house load incorrectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saturday I ran the heat very early morning/night, and the started charging the MY when solar started producing. The tesla app is reporting wrong, and doesn’t agree with the downloadable data. I have two other sources of house load data, enphase and SmartThings.
The tesla app for solar 113.4 kWh agrees with downloadable data 113.44 kWh.
What’s wrong?
Tesla power meters (CT) read correctly. Checked against multi meter
I charged for about 4.5 hours at 7.6kW which should be around 34 kWh. Which appears to be the amount the tesla app is off! Seams tesla is adding the car to my house load even thou the charger is accounted for in the non-backed up panel. Is this a new app feature?

Tesla app says house load 123.6 kwh
Tesla “download data” says 91.2 kwh
Enphase says 84.4 kWh
SmartThing HEM says 46.6 kWh left panel + 42.5 kWh = 89.1 kWh
56F36EDE-B826-4FA3-AB64-C2CE603BD479.jpeg

BEF4BED0-D522-4501-92F6-9D1E93113128.png

81C730BC-4501-4A73-81B6-0E25521DBE1E.png

6E33DCEC-B2A5-4ABC-B5D3-04A5F0961350.jpeg

2341C45B-065A-4AEF-8829-85B140C6D508.jpeg

22185862-CDA0-4C69-89C9-AF5C4FE6A2B8.jpeg

56F36EDE-B826-4FA3-AB64-C2CE603BD479.jpeg

Last edited:
Seams tesla is adding the car to my house load even thou the charger is accounted for in the non-backed up panel. Is this a new app feature?

If the gateway can see the load and provide power for it, it gets counted in the numbers, non backed up load or not. My car charger is not in the backed up load panel but the gateway can see it due to placement. Its counted, and has always been counted since my powerwalls were installed (Jan 2020).

If the gateway can see the load and provide power for it, it gets counted in the numbers, non backed up load or not. My car charger is not in the backed up load panel but the gateway can see it due to placement. Its counted, and has always been counted since my powerwalls were installed (Jan 2020).
^^^^ Yes.

Here is my TWC CTs on the non backed up side of my GW. Its the 100 amp breaker on the left in my original main panel. The 125 amp breaker goes to the GW. This set of CTs feeds my home load along with the backed up loads in the GW.

20220118_110334.jpg

Reactions: jjrandorin
My charger is in the non backup panel and has a neurio to account for all non backed up panel loads, as I stated above. But the house loads are off by the amount charged! And the downloaded data doesn’t agree with the app..
House loads are correct if I don’t charge! The new app is doing something stupid. Can others with tesla car on their account check the download data vs the tesla app on a day they charge please.
My enphase system doesn’t account for the tesla solar, so the delta should be the tesla inverter data.

Last edited:
Why were your 8 Powerwalls not charging or discharging?
I looked at a sample day from my system and the difference between the app’s Home Usage and SolarEdge’s Consumption is the net Powerwall output.

Sum of downloaded 5min interval data divided by 12 agrees with the app net totals.

The GW is the master cutoff switch for the grid so it sees all the loads but during an outage only feeds battery energy to non-backed up loads.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyRabbit
100% backup.
My enphase and HEM consumption CT are on my loads panels and don’t know what happens with powerwalls. And with tesla, the home consumption doesn’t include powerwall charging. House consumption doesn’t care about source, solar, grid or battery other then totaling source.

I said my charger was accounted for in the non backed up panel. The total energy used for the day in the app is in disagreement from the downloadable data. The app is much higher then the downloadable data by approximately the amount I charged. Review my data I posted and draw a relevant conclusion.

E7985A71-8E47-46BD-8A57-9F8E124B7237.jpeg

Last edited:
What does your Grid tab look like for that same day? I've found the Grid tab in the app is wrong for me (also partial backup setup) and those bad values then flow into the Home tab. The numbers don't match downloaded data and don't match real-world measurements from the utility or from Powerwall Dashboard. It totally throws off the Home tab energy sources and self-powered data even though the graph will be correct. My Home graph usually shows only Solar and Powerwall sources, but the Energy Sources data usually shows only Solar and Grid (which is wrong). The app doesn't seem to understand when power flows 'out' of the Gateway and 'in' to the non-backup loads.

are your solaredge CT up stream of powerwalls?
I think that’s a yes. SE only know about grid and solar, house consumption is calculated. PW exporting to house is not detected by SE.
But this doesn’t reflect your problem. My system data are consistent. Sorry not helping.

Once this is solved I’d like to know why you keep your Powerwall for backup only but that’s for another thread.

Last edited:
My solar was reading ~10% high before. Had to request repair, the added a neurio into the generation panel. Now house load matches (within tolerances). The new app seams to be adding my car charging to my house load on top of what was measured. So it has been accounted for twice.
FF5E0FA1-6477-4B54-97A5-A3ED1E0D3B33.png

Can others with tesla car on their account check the download data vs the tesla app on a day they charge please.
Not sure if it's an apples to oranges comparison but I looked at a recent charging day and mine is spot on. Note I only charge from midnight after my house has quiesed and before heat loss requires the heat pumps to come on. So my house load during the charging period is usually less than 500 Watts.

So my example was 39 kWh during a 2.3 hours period at midnight, The app data and graph both agree the rate during that time was pretty steady at 17.5 kW.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
The “TWC CTs” are telling the Gateway about energy in a circuit separate from the rest of the system? I am a bit confused, is the mains grid split into 100A used (only?) by the TWC and 125A used for everything else? The GW would normally only know about it’s own 125A circuit and then would agree with other data sources on that circuit. It seems that by putting CTs on the 100A circuit, the Gateway is reporting as designed.
How is the solar tied in?

The “TWC CTs” are telling the Gateway about energy in a circuit separate from the rest of the system? I am a bit confused, is the mains grid split into 100A used (only?) by the TWC and 125A used for everything else? The GW would normally only know about it’s own 125A circuit and then would agree with other data sources on that circuit. It seems that by putting CTs on the 100A circuit, the Gateway is reporting as designed.
How is the solar tied in?
My TWC is the only non backed up load, so it needs it's own set of CTs. They are integrated by the PW into the home load. The 125 amp breaker is from the main panel and is what Tesla has allocated to my grid load from the GW. Personally I was kind of worried about this because I felt this was too small. But to date we have not had any issues and new heat pumps have actually dropped my active loads considerably.

Can you share a system diagram?
It seems that Enphase only sees the 125A circuit but Gateway also sees the 100A circuit because of the added CTs
I looked and the SLD I have for the permit does not even get close to what it was. It did not show the TWC (since it was just "left" in the main panel, and only mentioned one solar system (probably because it's inverter was hidden from them on site inspection). I think they made some changes onsite and modified the permit. I did get one notice but I suspect there were others.

I also don't think SLD ever show the CTs anyway.

This post might help you a bit: Tesla Gateway registering solar at night 😊 from array 800 feet away