Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App for Android - issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
When I launch the Tesla app and close out of the tutorial videos the screen is blank (dark grey). The only thing I can really do is swipe right to try and see settings, but it only shows about 2/3 of the dialogue and then freezes every time. Have tried reinstalling a few times, enabling all permissions, forcing stop, etc. to no avail.

I don't have my car programmed yet so I know what I can do right now is limited. But the fact that it freezes every time I try and access settings seems strange.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

1: Opening app
Screenshot_20180928-182811.png
2: After closing tutorial videos
Screenshot_20180928-214246.png
3: After right swipe (gets stuck, app crashes)
Screenshot_20180928-214304.png

When I launch the Tesla app and close out of the tutorial videos the screen is blank (dark grey). The only thing I can really do is swipe right to try and see settings, but it only shows about 2/3 of the dialogue and then freezes every time. Have tried reinstalling a few times, enabling all permissions, forcing stop, etc. to no avail.

I don't have my car programmed yet so I know what I can do right now is limited. But the fact that it freezes every time I try and access settings seems strange.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

1: Opening app
View attachment 339060
2: After closing tutorial videos
View attachment 339061
3: After right swipe (gets stuck, app crashes)
View attachment 339062
the app won't work correctly until you unlock security on the M3 screen...

I think the app has to connect to Tesla's server which then tries to connect to the car which then displays the car and all of its information. This is not the same as bluetooth waking the car to unlock, where you have to do a connect of car to phone, phone to car. It seems that the app stores info after that, and your car is displayed in gray until your phone connects to the server. I have noticed that if my wife's phone was the last connected, my BT doesn't work and I have to go to the app and reconnect and unlock. But that's all after you get the car.

Normally the phone (S7 edge, S9) works well for us other than the app seemingly able to do only one phone at a time.

You'll have more fun playing with the car after you get it. It would be cool if Tesla could pair your phone and car before it was delivered so you could follow location, etc, but I wouldn't wonder that they'd turn it off so all the flashing lights and honking horns wouldn't cause trouble while on the Tesla Transport.

I have the same problem on my with my S8 android phone, getting dark grey screen after closing tutorial window.Then swipe to the right and screen becomes unresponsive.

Model 3 was delivered 2 days ago but no joy with the app so far.Tried restarting phone and disconnecting bluetooth multiple times.Bluetooth works with audio and phone in the car.

I have the same problem on my with my S8 android phone, getting dark grey screen after closing tutorial window.Then swipe to the right and screen becomes unresponsive.

Model 3 was delivered 2 days ago but no joy with the app so far.Tried restarting phone and disconnecting bluetooth multiple times.Bluetooth works with audio and phone in the car.

Weird - I'm on a Samsung Galaxy too, but a Note. Did Tesla pair to your phone at delivery?

This happens because they haven't setup the car with your app. They only recently granted people access to the app without a vehicle so it's a bit wonky.

For me, on the day of delivery, they already linked the car so I didn't get this glitchy behavior. And when the car is linked, you're good.

Talked to Tesla support now, they are saying they missed to check in their system that the car was delivered and without this, the app won't be able to connect to the car. They also told me to turn on Mobil Access in Safety and Security Settings.

This takes another day since only the lady who worked on my order can do this apparently and she will be back in the office on Monday.

I'm wondering why the app crashes though. A friendly and simple message with the problem statement would be the way to go.

quick update: Tesla Order fulfillment Lady says all good on her end. She also mentioned it may take more than 48h from delivery before the app actually works. I'll wait another few days then and call customer support again if won't work. First time I hear about the 48h delay though .