Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App multi-factor authentication

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to downloading the app, you have to setup the device in the online Tesla account. If you cannot access your Tesla account (e.g. did not write down the backup codes) you may have to call Tesla. In the future consider setting up Authenticator on both your iPhone and iPad, or two iPhones.
So both phones are registered for 2FA. I got the account transferred to the new phone by deleting the MS Authenticator app, reinstalling and restoring from the old phone backup. When I go to use the Authenticator app to log in, it wants me to choose which phone to send the code. If I send it to the new phone it won’t accept it. If I choose the old phone it accepts it. Here’s the thing…the code is the same in the Authenticator app on both phones, but only accepts if I choose the old phone.

See this on how to move MS Authenticator to a new phone. How to Move Microsoft Authenticator to a New Phone

If that doesn’t work then you need to log into your Tesla account and disable 2FA, then re-enable 2FA and set it up using an Authenticator on your new phone. Same for any other account you were using MS Authenticator for.

Personally I recommend Authy for 2FA codes because it’s easily backed up to your Authy account and accessed from any device that can log into the Authy app or website. Much less hassle when upgrading or changing devices etc.
I logged into my Tesla acct. online and there’s no option to disable 2FA. The only thing it allows you to do is manage MFA by either renaming or removing registered devices, or managing your backup codes.

I use Authy for my entire life. The cloud backups were a life saver last week when my iPhone decided it didn't want to stay on for more then 30 seconds before rebooting. Made switching to a new phone effortless
I tried setting up Authy but to add an account it wants to scan a QR code or enter one manually (basically the same thing), which you can’t do once MFA is initiated on your account.

I tried setting up Authy but to add an account it wants to scan a QR code or enter one manually (basically the same thing), which you can’t do once MFA is initiated on your account.
Have you read the support page on 2FA

I see this is an older thread, yet a recent issue arose with my friend who could not login to his account, or the app and he ran to me for help. It looks like several folks here understand the 2FA process, but some may not.

So, this is a bit of a heads-up to people that use the two-factor login, specifically the "Authenticator". He was completely locked out of his account and of course could not login to the app either. He was using an authenticator. The problem was that even though the Tesla account recognized his login name and password, when it asked for the authenticator code, Tesla would indicate the code from his authenticator was not correct.

Here is what he did not realize: He upgraded his smart phone. When this happens, even though you may create a backup of all the apps and even if directly doing a Bluetooth transfer from phone to phone, the authenticator is tied to a specific device, so code generation capabilities become broken. An app that uses the authenticator will no longer allow a login. So, it is not just an issue with the Tesla login.

He ran down to the service center which I told him was a waste of time as they won't be able to help. When he came back, I gave him the 888 number to call. I listened in as a very nice, super helpful guy came on the phone (after a 15-minute wait in line on the call). They asked some security questions to verify his identity and then sent him a link to disable the 2FA so he could get back into his account and app. I was impressed for a change that he got help so quickly and easily.

In my opinion, Tesla could do a better job with login process. When this happens at other institutions like banks that allow you to use 2FA, there is a way to send either an email or a text code to temporarily disable 2FA so you can get back in. Tesla currently does not have that.

Reactions: superblast
Yup that is what I told him, but he is like 200 years old and didn't understand :)
EDIT. I guess I should have said he has only ONE device.
I guess getting the backup codes was also too hard. Oh well, what can you do?

Multi-Factor Authentication​

Registered Devices​

Add, rename and remove devices
Manage

Backup Passcodes​

Use these codes for signing in without your device
Manage

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I see this is an older thread, yet a recent issue arose with my friend who could not login to his account, or the app and he ran to me for help. It looks like several folks here understand the 2FA process, but some may not.

So, this is a bit of a heads-up to people that use the two-factor login, specifically the "Authenticator". He was completely locked out of his account and of course could not login to the app either. He was using an authenticator. The problem was that even though the Tesla account recognized his login name and password, when it asked for the authenticator code, Tesla would indicate the code from his authenticator was not correct.

Here is what he did not realize: He upgraded his smart phone. When this happens, even though you may create a backup of all the apps and even if directly doing a Bluetooth transfer from phone to phone, the authenticator is tied to a specific device, so code generation capabilities become broken. An app that uses the authenticator will no longer allow a login. So, it is not just an issue with the Tesla login.

He ran down to the service center which I told him was a waste of time as they won't be able to help. When he came back, I gave him the 888 number to call. I listened in as a very nice, super helpful guy came on the phone (after a 15-minute wait in line on the call). They asked some security questions to verify his identity and then sent him a link to disable the 2FA so he could get back into his account and app. I was impressed for a change that he got help so quickly and easily.

In my opinion, Tesla could do a better job with login process. When this happens at other institutions like banks that allow you to use 2FA, there is a way to send either an email or a text code to temporarily disable 2FA so you can get back in. Tesla currently does not have that.
I'm using the iCloud Keychain and it transfers to any Apple device I use.
I have DFU's my iPhone and put it back on...no issues.

I don't know about 3rd party apps but the Apple Keychain works great for me.

Reactions: TBrownTX
How often and when are you asked for the multifactor authentication code? Do you have to use it every time you use the Tesla app? Can you still use third-party apps like Tessie? I don’t have to deal with it every single time I use an app just wondering before I commit to using two factor authentication, thanks for the help

How often and when are you asked for the multifactor authentication code? Do you have to use it every time you use the Tesla app? Can you still use third-party apps like Tessie? I don’t have to deal with it every single time I use an app just wondering before I commit to using two factor authentication, thanks for the help

Only need to use it when signing into the app for the first time, after that it keeps you logged in. It does make you use it every time you sign into Tesla.com (web). It would also be required for any 3rd party apps, but you should be able to check to see if MFA is supported before turning it on.