Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla app on Apple Watch [not available - third party options only]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Stats and like it a lot.

IMG_3261.jpeg
IMG_3260.jpeg

Reactions: KenC
The unlock function in Stats uses an API to send a command over the internet to unlock the car, similar to hitting the unlock button in the Tesla app. While in theory it works, it requires that the watch and car have an active connection to the internet. Then it must send a command over the internet and wait for the car to receive it. So it ends up taking anywhere from maybe 5 seconds to 30 seconds depending on how strong the internet connection on both the car and watch are, as well as whether the car is sleeping and needs to be woken up prior to being able to receive a command.

It got frustrating for me, and I noticed excessive battery drain. So I stopped using the app.

The unlock function in Stats uses an API to send a command over the internet to unlock the car, similar to hitting the unlock button in the Tesla app. While in theory it works, it requires that the watch and car have an active connection to the internet. Then it must send a command over the internet and wait for the car to receive it. So it ends up taking anywhere from maybe 5 seconds to 30 seconds depending on how strong the internet connection on both the car and watch are, as well as whether the car is sleeping and needs to be woken up prior to being able to receive a command.

It got frustrating for me, and I noticed excessive battery drain. So I stopped using the app.

Wow thanks for the info, I’m the same way of if it gets to be more inconvenient than just having your phone on you I’d rather not use it
I hope they make something similar to your phone that uses Bluetooth so I can use my watch and car seamlessly

Reactions: SageBrush
I downloaded the Tesla Remote app for that reason, formally known as Remote S. Despite everything I’ve read, whenever I connected to my account my car will not go to sleep. Just logged out this morning after a relatively sleepless three days for my car, and it finally started going to sleep like it should.

I might have to check into the stats app. Vampire drain adds up over time, making a $10 app cost a heck of a lot more.

I've been using stats for over a month and have not noticed any excess battery drain. Car goes to sleep without a problem when Sentry Mode is off. I use siri shortcuts to unlock and lock the car, open frunk, trunk and charge door.

I downloaded the Tesla Remote app for that reason, formally known as Remote S. Despite everything I’ve read, whenever I connected to my account my car will not go to sleep. Just logged out this morning after a relatively sleepless three days for my car, and it finally started going to sleep like it should.

I might have to check into the stats app. Vampire drain adds up over time, making a $10 app cost a heck of a lot more.
I had the exact opposite. Stats drained my X, fast. Downloaded Tesla Remote and have not noticed any problems. I also have this setting off tho.

Attachments

• E304E283-ED6C-476C-81F1-F3B9D994E4BC.jpeg
    E304E283-ED6C-476C-81F1-F3B9D994E4BC.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: TomB985

so far what I read ona different article I read earlier today, and what I gather in that thread is that it doesn’t apply to Tesla model 3 owners Apple is using nfc where as the Tesla app is using Bluetooth
Basically I am hoping that they make the Tesla app compatible with Apple Watch
I’m thinking if they are able to make an app on a iPhone why not make it so we can use the app on an iwatch
Shouldn’t be that hard is what I’m thinking then again have no experience or knowledge in coding or any app making of any kind

I had the exact opposite. Stats drained my X, fast. Downloaded Tesla Remote and have not noticed any problems. I also have this setting off tho.

That setting in the latest version is why I logged in and started using it again. Seems to work great for the first couple of days, then the car developed insomnia.

Disable the app and it was like I gave my car an Ambien. She’s now sleeping whenever she sits for more than 20 minutes like usual.

so far what I read ona different article I read earlier today, and what I gather in that thread is that it doesn’t apply to Tesla model 3 owners Apple is using nfc where as the Tesla app is using Bluetooth
Basically I am hoping that they make the Tesla app compatible with Apple Watch
I’m thinking if they are able to make an app on a iPhone why not make it so we can use the app on an iwatch
Shouldn’t be that hard is what I’m thinking then again have no experience or knowledge in coding or any app making of any kind

Tesla is actually using both, Bluetooth for the phone as key functionality and NFC for the key cards. Based on the little info we have about the API it sounds like it would be possible to emulate the NFC/RFID used by the physical key cards in the Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng