Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla App for Apple Watch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I developed an app with the same functionality, USD 1.99, lifetime value…

The dedicated thread on the forum is here:

The app is here:
Thanks. The developer claims that Tesla is changing it's API to a much more expensive one and that is the reason for going to a subscription model. Is that just BS?

Thanks. The developer claims that Tesla is changing it's API to a much more expensive one and that is the reason for going to a subscription model. Is that just BS?
No that’s true
By the way even if I consider I should upgrade the price of my app it will still remain far from what you’re saying and I don’t consider the option of a subscription anyway…

Reactions: galaxy23 and Alonzo
Hello @Power Hungry. Since the Bluetooth feature was added to the Watch App for Tesla back around March of this year (which allowed us to add our watch as a stand-alone key fob), I’ve always been able to unlock & start my vehicle with just my watch and without the watch app running in the foreground. However, in recent weeks, something has changed on Tesla’s end (I believe it was one of Tesla’s recent software updates) and now I sometimes have to touch/open the Watch App for Tesla icon on my watch in order for the vehicle to recognize it and respond accordingly. I’m not really sure why sometimes I don’t need to have the app open on my watch for the vehicle to respond, and other times my vehicle wants me to open the app on my watch before it will recognize it. Like I said, I think the culprit of this erratic behavior is due to one of Tesla’s software updates.

Fortunately, I think there is solution for this. Go into the Settings menu when you open up the Watch App for Tesla on your watch, and be sure to also turn on “Enable Bluetooth wake upon approach”, as shown below which is a screen shot of the Watch App for Tesla settings menu. This should resolve your issue with having to open up the app in order for your vehicle to respond… at least it did for me. I no longer need to open the app. My watch simply needs to be within bluetooth range and my vehicle will always unlock and start.
Let me know if this works for you…

View attachment 991331
I've been having some problems like that with my iPhone 13 pro. Perhaps starting last spring, sometimes need to get the phone out of my pocket and bring the app up. It was open in background just not up front. Hard to know if it was a Tesla software change or something with the phone. Now it seldom opens the vehicle if in my back pocket or in some coat pockets where it did the first year, but I had a iPhone 6s Plus at that time.

The main thing I want on my watch is the ability to unlock my vehicle and open my frunk. While the official Tesla App doesn't support Apple Watch, it does now support Shortcuts. I added a complication on my watch face for shortcuts which then allows me to do both of these things natively without a 3rd party app in the middle. There are other threads on how to configure Shortcuts and some good youtube videos as well. This one from Tesla Tip - How to Open a Tesla with your Apple Watch! (youtube.com) is the best one I've found courtesy of @everydaychris

Just upgraded my se to series 9. None of the Siri commands work on the watch. When I ask it to open trunk, it says “you’ll need to download an app for that”. I have the shortcuts added to the watch and I can manually click the shortcuts and they work. Any ideas?

Just upgraded my se to series 9. None of the Siri commands work on the watch. When I ask it to open trunk, it says “you’ll need to download an app for that”. I have the shortcuts added to the watch and I can manually click the shortcuts and they work. Any ideas?
Same here. No ideas at all. I'm very disappointed with WAFT. (or then again it might be Tesla stuffing things up)

Sounds like you are having the EXACT same issue/error message I had. For me, the problem was I had run out of storage space on my iCloud account. So, the new Tesla shortcuts I had created on both my iPhone and Apple Watch were simply not syncing up (even though I had gone through the process of adding those short cuts to my Apple Watch). Once I added more/sufficient iCloud storage capacity, my Apple Watch immediately synced & recognize all the Tesla shortcuts I had created and everything worked perfectly on my watch.

You wouldn’t think having sufficient iCloud storage capacity would matter in this situation, especially if/when you are on your home Wifi network. However, for me, this (adding iCloud storage capacity) was the only way I could get any/all Tesla voice activated shortcuts to work properly on my Apple Watch (Ultra). So, you may need to buy extra iCloud storage for 1 month (it’s only 99 cents for 50GB of storage) and then just cancel after the short cuts are synced on your watch. Worst case, you’ll be out 99 cents.

Sounds like you are having the EXACT same issue/error message I had. For me, the problem was I had run out of storage space on my iCloud account. So, the new Tesla shortcuts I had created on both my iPhone and Apple Watch were simply not syncing up (even though I had gone through the process of adding those short cuts to my Apple Watch). Once I added more/sufficient iCloud storage capacity, my Apple Watch immediately synced & recognize all the Tesla shortcuts I had created and everything worked perfectly on my watch.

You wouldn’t think having sufficient iCloud storage capacity would matter in this situation, especially if/when you are on your home Wifi network. However, for me, this (adding iCloud storage capacity) was the only way I could get any/all Tesla voice activated shortcuts to work properly on my Apple Watch (Ultra). So, you may need to buy extra iCloud storage for 1 month (it’s only 99 cents for 50GB of storage) and then just cancel after the short cuts are synced on your watch. Worst case, you’ll be out 99 cents.
Thank you. That may relate to my problems too.

I use the Watch App for Tesla as a key for my MYLR. I did set up my iPhone as a key also, but I went into the Tesla app and disabled it. However, if I leave the iPhone in the car, anyone can walk up and unlock the car. I thought by disabling the iPhone as a key in the app, that it would no longer unlock the door, but that's not the case.

Now, I must turn off bluetooth on the phone when I leave it in the car. Or, I could just remove the iPhone as a key altogether, but there are times when I might want to use it as a key when I'm not wearing the watch.

Disappointing.

I use the Watch App for Tesla as a key for my MYLR. I did set up my iPhone as a key also, but I went into the Tesla app and disabled it. However, if I leave the iPhone in the car, anyone can walk up and unlock the car. I thought by disabling the iPhone as a key in the app, that it would no longer unlock the door, but that's not the case.

Now, I must turn off bluetooth on the phone when I leave it in the car. Or, I could just remove the iPhone as a key altogether, but there are times when I might want to use it as a key when I'm not wearing the watch.

Disappointing.
I’m not sure I understand your disappointment and desire to disable your iPhone as a registered key fob. I get that you want to use your watch as your primary key fob, but why do you feel it is advantageous or necessary to completely disable your iPhone as secondary key fob? Is it because you’re concerned during the rare times that you accidentally leave your iPhone in the vehicle, there is a risk someone can just enter & drive off with your vehicle?

So, are you disappointed with this particular 3rd party app (Watch App for Tesla) because it does not allow you to control your vehicle in the desired manner?
Or, are you disappointed with Tesla in how they have designed their native mobile phone/key app?

but why do you feel it is advantageous or necessary to completely disable your iPhone as secondary key fob?
I purposely leave my phone in the car on a regular basis. For example, I don't feel the need to take my phone into the doctor's office, the gym, the golf course, etc.
are you disappointed with Tesla in how they have designed their native mobile phone/key app?
Yes. I would think that when you go into the app under security and disable the phone as a key, that it would no longer be able to unlock the doors. I assume that it would also no longer be able to start the vehicle and drive, but I don't know that. I guess I need to test that part.

I purposely leave my phone in the car on a regular basis. For example, I don't feel the need to take my phone into the doctor's office, the gym, the golf course, etc.

Yes. I would think that when you go into the app under security and disable the phone as a key, that it would no longer be able to unlock the doors. I assume that it would also no longer be able to start the vehicle and drive, but I don't know that. I guess I need to test that part.
Hmmm. OK, I have a theory on why your vehicle still recognizes & responds to your iPhone even after you’ve unregistered and unpaired it from the Tesla native app…

Take a look at the apps currently installed on your iPhone and make sure the Watch App for Tesla is not active or enabled on your iPhone. In my situation, when I first purchased and installed the Watch App for Tesla on my watch, it was also automatically installed & activated on my iPhone. So, in other words, if your goal is to completely disable/unregister your iPhone as a key fob, then make sure it is disabled/unregistered in both the native Tesla app as well as in the 3rd party Watch App for Tesla.

Get the My Tesla remote by Michael Cohen. I’ve been using it for 4 months now and it works great on ultra2. I go 80% of time without my cell and depend on the watch only.
To be clear, I’ve been using the Watch App for Tesla on my watches (AppleWatch 8 and now Ultra) for several years, and it has performed flawlessly with zero issues. In some ways, my watch has proven to be more stable & reliable as a standalone key fob, than my iPhone with Tesla’s native app. Lots of great 3rd party watch apps out there. Can’t go wrong with any of the top 3-4 apps.