Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla App for Apple Watch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this implies that this will work only with Teslas that support the key card, like later MY or M3 or refreshed S. I suspect I am out of luck with my 2020 S Raven, which only supports the key fob, right?
Actually, I think you should be OK with your 2020 S Raven. I don’t recall when, but in one of Tesla’s past software updates, they made it so you don’t need to use your physical keycard in order to assign/activate additional key fobs. So, assuming you have kept your vehicle updated with one of Tesla’s more recent software versions, you should be able to go into the vehicle settings and simply go through the process of assigning/activating additional key fobs (like another mobile phone and/or a smart watch with the Watch for Tesla or Stats app).

Yes, once your watch is within Bluetooth range, the vehicle recognizes your watch (as a key) and automatically unlocks the door(s) and starts-up. No need to open the Watch for Tesla app, or even wake up your watch. Works flawlessly for me. Believe it or not, I have found my watch (with this 3rd party app) to be more reliable at opening and starting the vehicle than Tesla’s official phone app.
Thanks for your post and lucky you. I purchased the iPhone/iWatch version a few days ago and I can't get it to act as a key for love nor money. I can unlock, lock and control a number of functions manually on the 'Watch app for Tesla' but when it comes to using it as a key... Hmmm! I've got the settings right (I'm pretty sure) but nought. I'm using an iWatch 5 and I can't even find it that watch is compatible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Off topic, but I’ll say this…

I never really paid any (and I mean any) attention to Elon. Know literally nothing about the man.
However, after some of his recent actions, all I can say is… he is a total nutcase.
I love Tesla vehicles, but every time I hear that dude talk, I just want to sell my M3P and cancel the MYP that I currently have on order for the wife. I agree with you that Tesla would be a much better (& more attractive) company without Elon.

OK. Now, back on topic! 🙃 😂
Tesla wouldn't be a company without Elon 😁😆😅😂

Thanks for your post and lucky you. I purchased the iPhone/iWatch version a few days ago and I can't get it to act as a key for love nor money. I can unlock, lock and control a number of functions manually on the 'Watch app for Tesla' but when it comes to using it as a key... Hmmm! I've got the settings right (I'm pretty sure) but nought. I'm using an iWatch 5 and I can't even find it that watch is compatible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I’m assuming the old Apple Watch Series 5 is compatible with this app. If so, I can only think of two things that could prevent your watch from acting as a standalone key fob.
1. Have you updated the Watch for Tesla app to one of the more recent software versions? This particular feature (standalone key fob) was added in one of their recent software updates. The latest version is 1.3.8
2. Have you enabled the “Bluetooth direct vehicle control” in the settings menu of the Watch for Tesla app? Below is a screen shot of my watch in the settings section of this app. You’ll also need to go through the process of enabling/authorizing your watch as a separate key fob in the Tesla display/menu screen.

incoming-B8B502BA-D493-4C7B-A886-3D1764B26AF6.jpeg

I’m assuming the old Apple Watch Series 5 is compatible with this app. If so, I can only think of two things that could prevent your watch from acting as a standalone key fob.
1. Have you updated the Watch for Tesla app to one of the more recent software versions? This particular feature (standalone key fob) was added in one of their recent software updates. The latest version is 1.3.8
2. Have you enabled the “Bluetooth direct vehicle control” in the settings menu of the Watch for Tesla app? Below is a screen shot of my watch in the settings section of this app. You’ll also need to go through the process of enabling/authorizing your watch as a separate key fob in the Tesla display/menu screen.

View attachment 954947
Thanks for your help. I think I found the problem... Watch app for Tesla isn't compatible with Apple Watch 5th Gen. See below...

Watch.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 1.21.18 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 1.21.18 pm.png
    553.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
Hi,

For those who are interested I recently released a Bluetooth keyfob app for Apple watch

Here is the link to the official thread

Basically it is cheaper than a lot of similar apps and can work without requiring your Tesla credentials if you do not want to give them to a 3rd party app

You can contact me for further information if you need it.

I just installed Watch app for Tesla on my iPhone and AW. I'm taking delivery of my Model Y in a few days and do not want to use my iPhone as a key. I want to only use the Apple Watch. Can anyone point me to directions for setting up when I take delivery? Without already having a vehicle, the app won't let me proceed with setup, so I don't know what to expect.

I know to go into the app and enable bluetooth control as in post #44 above. Is that the first step? Do you just bluetooth pair it to the car then do the normal process of adding a key to the Tesla?

Thanks much.

I just installed Watch app for Tesla on my iPhone and AW. I'm taking delivery of my Model Y in a few days and do not want to use my iPhone as a key. I want to only use the Apple Watch. Can anyone point me to directions for setting up when I take delivery? Without already having a vehicle, the app won't let me proceed with setup, so I don't know what to expect.

I know to go into the app and enable bluetooth control as in post #44 above. Is that the first step? Do you just bluetooth pair it to the car then do the normal process of adding a key to the Tesla?

Thanks much.

You will also need to go into the Tesla menu (on your vehicle’s center display screen), under the “Locks” section and then click on the “Add Key” located in the upper right corner. See attached photo. This will start the pairing process to add your watch as a stand-alone key fob. Note, you may need (& be prompted) to use your physical key card to authenticate & complete this process. Good luck!!

IMG_7523.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rpiotro and Alonzo
You will also need to go into the Tesla menu (on your vehicle’s center display screen), under the “Locks” section and then click on the “Add Key” located in the upper right corner. See attached photo. This will start the pairing process to add your watch as a stand-alone key fob. Note, you may need (& be prompted) to use your physical key card to authenticate & complete this process. Good luck!!

View attachment 991310
Hi GreenHokie,
I've paired my watch and it showed as 'active' in the Locks section. This morning I went to the car in the garage and after a couple of tries the drivers door unlocked without the App being open. I drove to the park and walked our dog but when I returned to the MY the doors wouldn't open at all after many tries. I had to open the App on the phone to achieve that. The inconsistency is frustrating.

Yep I did that (Series 9) and it still doesn't work without the App open on the watch.
The app should be open unless you are swiping it away, and if you are swiping it away, it doesnt work on phones without the app running either. On phones the app doesnt have to be in the foreground, but Im almost positive it needs to be running at least in the background, without being suspended or swiped away.

Hi GreenHokie,
I've paired my watch and it showed as 'active' in the Locks section. This morning I went to the car in the garage and after a couple of tries the drivers door unlocked without the App being open. I drove to the park and walked our dog but when I returned to the MY the doors wouldn't open at all after many tries. I had to open the App on the phone to achieve that. The inconsistency is frustrating.
Hello @Power Hungry. Since the Bluetooth feature was added to the Watch App for Tesla back around March of this year (which allowed us to add our watch as a stand-alone key fob), I’ve always been able to unlock & start my vehicle with just my watch and without the watch app running in the foreground. However, in recent weeks, something has changed on Tesla’s end (I believe it was one of Tesla’s recent software updates) and now I sometimes have to touch/open the Watch App for Tesla icon on my watch in order for the vehicle to recognize it and respond accordingly. I’m not really sure why sometimes I don’t need to have the app open on my watch for the vehicle to respond, and other times my vehicle wants me to open the app on my watch before it will recognize it. Like I said, I think the culprit of this erratic behavior is due to one of Tesla’s software updates.

Fortunately, I think there is solution for this. Go into the Settings menu when you open up the Watch App for Tesla on your watch, and be sure to also turn on “Enable Bluetooth wake upon approach”, as shown below which is a screen shot of the Watch App for Tesla settings menu. This should resolve your issue with having to open up the app in order for your vehicle to respond… at least it did for me. I no longer need to open the app. My watch simply needs to be within bluetooth range and my vehicle will always unlock and start.
Let me know if this works for you…

incoming-C1CDB51B-7304-494F-9178-DCEBB6B75334.png

The app should be open unless you are swiping it away, and if you are swiping it away, it doesnt work on phones without the app running either. On phones the app doesnt have to be in the foreground, but Im almost positive it needs to be running at least in the background, without being suspended or swiped away.

Actually, it never used to be this way. I’m one of those folks who always completely closes (i.e. swipes away) all apps in the background when not in use. I realize it is not really necessary to do this, since having a bunch of apps running in the background does not have any negative effect on your mobile device (like significant battery drain or slow performance). Nevertheless, I still always completely close (swipe away) any/all apps that I’m not currently using. Just (perhaps bad) habit for me. Until recently, both my phone and my watch have always unlocked and started my vehicle, even when the Tesla app on each device was completely closed (i.e. not running in either the fore or background). However, recently my vehicle has had trouble recognizing my phone and/or watch unless I have the app open either in the fore or background. I’m blaming one of Tesla’s recent software updates for this recent erratic behavior…

Hello @Power Hungry. Since the Bluetooth feature was added to the Watch App for Tesla back around March of this year (which allowed us to add our watch as a stand-alone key fob), I’ve always been able to unlock & start my vehicle with just my watch and without the watch app running in the foreground. However, in recent weeks, something has changed on Tesla’s end (I believe it was one of Tesla’s recent software updates) and now I sometimes have to touch/open the Watch App for Tesla icon on my watch in order for the vehicle to recognize it and respond accordingly. I’m not really sure why sometimes I don’t need to have the app open on my watch for the vehicle to respond, and other times my vehicle wants me to open the app on my watch before it will recognize it. Like I said, I think the culprit of this erratic behavior is due to one of Tesla’s software updates.

Fortunately, I think there is solution for this. Go into the Settings menu when you open up the Watch App for Tesla on your watch, and be sure to also turn on “Enable Bluetooth wake upon approach”, as shown below which is a screen shot of the Watch App for Tesla settings menu. This should resolve your issue with having to open up the app in order for your vehicle to respond… at least it did for me. I no longer need to open the app. My watch simply needs to be within bluetooth range and my vehicle will always unlock and start.
Let me know if this works for you…

View attachment 991331
Thanks mate. It's quite bizarre because I've had Enable Bluetooth Wake On Approach enabled the whole time? I wonder if there could be subtle differences between US and AU software.

Thanks mate. It's quite bizarre because I've had Enable Bluetooth Wake On Approach enabled the whole time? I wonder if there could be subtle differences between US and AU software.
You’re welcome, of course. On second thought, I think the recent software updates from Apple (instead of from Tesla) are the more likely cause of some of the erratic behavior I’ve been experiencing with my iphone and watch. I’m one of those early FSDBeta testers (on software 2023.27.7 , 11.4.7.3). So, this particular beta tester software branch does not get updated nearly as often as the rest of you folks who are on the normal Tesla mainstream branch. So for me, the only recent changes in software have come from Apple and not from Tesla. Bad Apple!! 🤣

Perhaps all that is needed to resolve any further erratic behavior, is to delete/un-install the app from the watch and/or phone, forget both devices from the Tesla system, and then re-install & re-pair everything. For now, everything works properly for me, but if the erratic behavior returns, I will probably do the above…

Wow. I just paid a one time fee of $20 for this app less than a week ago after taking delivery of my new MYLR. Last night I get a message when I opened the app that they will be going to a subscription fee soon. Not a happy camper.
I developed an app with the same functionality, USD 1.99, lifetime value…

The dedicated thread on the forum is here:

The app is here: