Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app unable to wake car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue ... as discussed on Tesla Software updates - Australia

I have an active service call in with Tesla and today received this message ...

"This is a fleet wide issue that engineering is working on as high priority. We will reach out as soon as possible with the steps for resolution. This will be done over the air and will not require a physical service visit. Thanks for your patience and we apologize for any inconveniences. Kind regards - Tesla Service."

Hopefully the engineering team can locate the issue soon and resolve the issue quickly.

For now, if you leave Sentry turned on (as others have mentioned) and tolerate the ~3% discharge per day, the car won't go to sleep and you will still be able the see the vehicle status etc. on your cellphone app.

(FYI, I'm now on 2023.12.9. This happened to me when I went from 2023.12.5 to 2023.12.9 a few days back. Neither rebooting the car or reloading the software via the Service Mode resolved the issue).

Or perhaps - total uninformed speculation on my part - Telstra has implemented some anti-spam/anti-phishing measure which traps "identical" SMS messages coming from the same source and going to lots of different phone numbers. I reckon the "wake up" messages are identical from car-to-car and there would be an awful lot of them over time.

Dunno, maybe it's all just broken and needs a cleansing reboot somewhere upstream of all of us ;)
If they were implementing something new, then clearly it was not tested properly so who knows if it would work as intended

spoke with Tesla support today and was told the issue is with Tesltra. Apparently the car wakes up on an SMS request from the telco.. so who knows when this will be fixed but they are working with Telstra to fix the issue.

spoke with Tesla support today and was told the issue is with Tesltra. Apparently the car wakes up on an SMS request from the telco.. so who knows when this will be fixed but they are working with Telstra to fix the issue.
Tesla would be one of Telstra's bigger customers. I image they have a fair bit of power to get Telstra to fix things quickly, although they are somewhat locked in due to the better coverage.

For those using ChargeHQ and wanting a complete solution. This one is not a workaround and in my opinion provides a better charge experience then the normal non-advanced way of setting up ChargeHQ even when the wakeup issue is resolved.

I am not sure when this was introduced, it is possible it has always been there and I failed to RTFM, likely.

My interpreted explanation of this is that you get to define a 6 hour window in which you want charging to start straight away whenever you plug your tesla in. ChargeHQ then takes a minute or so to check your ChargeHQ defined behaviour and decides whether to continue charging or not. The non-advanced way has same behaviour but at all times of the day.

To set this up, when at home, set a scheduled start time in either the Tesla app or car itself. In my case I set the time to 10am. Then in ChargeHQ go to advanced settings and enable the 'overide vehicle schedule' option.

Now my window for when the Tesla starts charging is now reduced from always to the hours of 10am to 4pm. Which is why I think this is a better experience. I do not want the Tesla to start charging for a minute or so in the evening or morning peak or even overnight.

The reason this is a solution to the current issue with being unable to wake the car is that this method relies on an on board car timer to wake up at the desired time and does not need the Tesla mothership to request a wake up via the Telstra network.

If the car is plugged in, say the night before, then the timer will wake the car at 10am and ChargeHQ can do its thing. If the car is plugged in between 10am and 4pm it will already be awake and ChargeHQ can do its thing.

I have tested this and confirmed with the current failed to wake car issue that the timer still wakes the car.

If your personal ChargeHQ schedule relies on a window greater than 6 hours then with the current wakeup Tesltra issue it will miss those other windows. Though when that is fixed ChargeHQ should still continue to wake the car using the LTE wake method.

There are a few other corner cases here where it may not perform in an ideal manner with the current wakeup Tesltra issue, the main one I can think of is that if you are using solar charging and there is insufficient solar at your scheduled start time and that persists for 30 minutes then the car will deep sleep and not be able to wake up until 10am the next day or if manually woken by whichever means.

Another work around, which suits my charging needs for now, is to unlock and relock the car via the app notification/widget when in bluetooth range which will also wake the car. Saves me going downstairs to just trigger ChargeHQ to start charging.
Note this is also accessible from the Tesla app itself. Just hit the unlock/lock button in the app when in bluetooth range. No need to enable the notification phone key status if you do not want that then.

Reactions: GeoQuack
I dont know if tesla has fixed the issue with the car not waking up but i went into my account thru the tesla app changed my password signed out and resigned in with my new password this seems to have fixed the problem ican now use my app see the location of the car etc.