Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023.12.5 not waking up, seemed to be fixed for me just now by locking and unlocking car.

Locking and unlocking the car, by approach with bluetooth phone key and unlocking and locking the car by opening the door would manually wake the car and then the app is able to communicate with it. But I think I just realised, and tested the method I think you mean. Which is unlocking and relocking the car using the 'notification/widget' control on the tesla app which uses bluetooth to wake the car instead of LTE/SMS communications. This is a better method for me as it saves me having to walk downstairs to the garage to manually unlock the car just to get Charge HQ to start charging the car. Note this only works in bluetooth range of the car.

The other workaround is to enable sentry mode to force the car to stay awake permanently. But this has a significant power usage overhead.

Note the car ‘waking’ issue now has its own thread:

Reactions: GeoQuack
Thanks for this, the more evidence there is the more it appears to be a network issue, either Tesla or Telstra <- (why does it hurt my brain typing that? Feels a bit like Santa Vs Satan)

My issues started on the previously stable 12.5 and didn't change with the 12.9 update.
In other words, independent of software changes...
On the other hand, my car won't wake from sleep on wifi too, which might eliminate telstra as a potential cause and make the software more likely. Unless a SMS push is still used to alert cars on wifi to wake.

On the other hand, my car won't wake from sleep on wifi too, which might eliminate telstra as a potential cause and make the software more likely. Unless a SMS push is still used to alert cars on wifi to wake.
When the car is asleep it isn’t on the wifi. Checking connected devices on my wifi router is one way I have always been able to check if my car is actually asleep.

So because of this, even if your car is at home and connected to your wifi (that is it is connected to it when it is awake) it gets woken from sleep by the app via a special “wake up” SMS message being sent from the mothership.

I installed 2023.12.9 yesterday and today I did the school drop off, Gold Coast to Brisbane and back for work, with a ballet pick up thrown in for good measure. No issues with the wipers and smooth driving on Autopilot/TACC with only one bad speed limit detection. The school zones were detected, but when using TACC it still set the speed to 60 km/h instead of 40 km/h.

Reactions: Morri
Presume you're aware Tessy Sam that after a drive during which the air conditioning system was used, the car will run fans for ... quite a while, like maybe half an hour, in order to dry out some component in there, in order to avoid the stench of mouldy socks. Which develops eventually anyway.

Has this stench-causing problem been addressed in new vehicles, anyone know?

Presume you're aware Tessy Sam that after a drive during which the air conditioning system was used, the car will run fans for ... quite a while, like maybe half an hour, in order to dry out some component in there, in order to avoid the stench of mouldy socks. Which develops eventually anyway.
Really? I haven't heard of that.
I was under the impression that the cabin climate control was operated by SW when parked due to very cold or very hot temperatures to prevent the electronics from being effected by adverse weather conditions.

FWIW this must be climate-dependent, because it doesn't seem to happen to Canberra vehicles at least.
Has not happened to me on Gold Coast either, but we do not get very cold or very hot temperatures here other than occasional warm temp if leave car in the sun parked but the cabin overheat protection set to 35 seems to help with that. Never had an issue in my garage so far, though I havent tried the windows vent mode myself, so dont know if that would let the humidity and moisture in?

Not surprised Canberra cars don’t smell - dry inland climate. And this is a separate function to cabin overheat protection.

Separately, like a few others have noted above; my mobile app seems to be having communicating with the car recently, when the car’s asleep. I’m on 2022.44.25.2.

Not surprised Canberra cars don’t smell - dry inland climate. And this is a separate function to cabin overheat protection.

Separately, like a few others have noted above; my mobile app seems to be having communicating with the car recently, when the car’s asleep. I’m on 2022.44.25.2.
That being the case, a Tesla - Telstra communication problem seems most likely. It happened a a while ago too and seemed to get better independent of a car software update

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Really? I haven't heard of that.

The “smelly socks” problem was widely experienced with new Model 3s in 2019-2020. It was allegedly solved via a SW update where the AC would continue running for about 10 minutes after parking the car to dry out the condensers and stop the smell developing. I believe newer cars had a redesigned AC system that didn’t suffer this problem.

I had one instance of slightly smelly socks in 2020, but never since.