Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App won't connect remotely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model 3 with 2700 miles on it. Having trouble with the Tesla app. When the car is not near me
and I try to use the Tesla app (to remotely start the interior heater for example) the app fails to connect to the
car. It shows a spinning dial and that it was last in contact with the car several hours ago. And it just won't connect.
This happens when the car is connect by way of WiFi at home and while at work and on LTE network.

Any solutions?

I have a new Model 3 with 2700 miles on it. Having trouble with the Tesla app. When the car is not near me
and I try to use the Tesla app (to remotely start the interior heater for example) the app fails to connect to the
car. It shows a spinning dial and that it was last in contact with the car several hours ago. And it just won't connect.
This happens when the car is connect by way of WiFi at home and while at work and on LTE network.

Any solutions?
There is a global server issue with Tesla, don't log out of your app or you will loose ability to control the car.

I’m currently having this issue right now. From what I’ve read in the past it could be a Tesla server issue. Is anybody else having trouble connecting to their car with the iOS app? When I’m in the car I can lock and unlock fine but nothing else really works.

I’m currently having this issue right now. From what I’ve read in the past it could be a Tesla server issue. Is anybody else having trouble connecting to their car with the iOS app? When I’m in the car I can lock and unlock fine but nothing else really works.
What error are you getting? I had a 540 Vehicle Server Error yesterday and just got it again this mornin. A reboot took care of it yesterday. I haven’t tried that yet this morning.

What error are you getting? I had a 540 Vehicle Server Error yesterday and just got it again this mornin. A reboot took care of it yesterday. I haven’t tried that yet this morning.
I forget now. I don't remember a number, it just said "unable to connect" or something like that. Tried the reboot by holding down the steering wheel buttons and that fixed it
Just posted this thread: Got locked out
Seems to be a different issue. Somehow, my phone was still connecting to the car fine and I was able to drive, even lock the car from the phone. However I couldn't do things like turn on climate, open the windows, etc. Strange

I’m having the same frustrating issue with my MSLR - the phone app won’t connect to the car in my garage unless sentry mode is on (which I don’t really need on in my garage) or I’m close enough to it that Bluetooth can connect to it. That’s going to suck this winter when I want to preheat my cabin and condition the battery before departure here in wintery MN. I guess I’ll have to have sentry mode on and sucking battery power all the time.

I’m having the same frustrating issue with my MSLR - the phone app won’t connect to the car in my garage unless sentry mode is on (which I don’t really need on in my garage) or I’m close enough to it that Bluetooth can connect to it. That’s going to suck this winter when I want to preheat my cabin and condition the battery before departure here in wintery MN. I guess I’ll have to have sentry mode on and sucking battery power all the time.
Same issue with my ‘22 S Plaid. Thankfully I’m within BT range so my shortcut is to hit the energy button in the app, which wakes up the car and then I can condition the cabin.

Anyone had any resolution to this issue?
My model 3 is 3 yrs old and when its in the garage I can't communicate with the phone. The blue tooth apps work, unlock doors, start driving etc. but remotely setting heat or for example I can get it 1/2 into the garage with Summons then it stops. Here is what I heard - you need to have AT&T cell signal. Got that info from Tesla tech. My ATT microcell tower boosts my phone to 5 bars but you have to put a phone number into it. Guess what the Tesla does not have a phone number haha, So I gave up. I would love to summons back my car out of my very narrow garage but it does keep me from getting fat cuz I have to slide into the car sideways.