Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chopr147

Apr 3, 2016
Wantagh, NY
I see on the Tesla app. it will show my cars location and give me directions to the car. This may be helpful some time in the future (hopefully wil not need that)
But I don't see a way to put in a location for navigation to a location. What I mean is I would like to set up my destination from the comfort of my home and get in the car and go with it all set. I can do this online with my Lexus but not the app.
I know, can I be any more spoiled? :) I just like playing with the tech.

Right, as @tezzla suggests, the Calendar workaround is your only option today. Sending an address to our Tesla is something even my 2009 BMW had from the WWW, but Tesla has not (yet) provided. You're not alone in wanting the functionality. It's been discussed in a number of other threads several times.

Personally, I think the calendar solution is better than the other send to car solutions I've seen. You can set up any number of locations, and at any point in advance that you choose.

The other car I had with the capability you had to send it within 10-15 minutes before you went to the car, and it wasn't terribly reliable - it failed probably 20% of the time, leaving you in the car and trying to resend it from the phone.

You can setup your locations as all day appointments. We do this all the time and as mentioned, you can have more than one (we have done 8-10 before when my wife as showing houses)

Great suggestion, I'll use that when its applicable.

I wish it stored all of the day's appointments regardless though. I had a 3pm that I got a call to push back by about an hour. I stopped by for a bite and when back in the car it was gone. Not a huge deal... but if that was an all day, it takes away the benefit of the calendar and me knowing what time I'm supposed to be there.

Waze does a great job with this, I'd love to see an integration in 8.0... Since waze is google anyway. Be nice if they used it for navigation instead of navigon.

Great suggestion, I'll use that when its applicable.

I wish it stored all of the day's appointments regardless though. I had a 3pm that I got a call to push back by about an hour. I stopped by for a bite and when back in the car it was gone. Not a huge deal... but if that was an all day, it takes away the benefit of the calendar and me knowing what time I'm supposed to be there.

Waze does a great job with this, I'd love to see an integration in 8.0... Since waze is google anyway. Be nice if they used it for navigation instead of navigon.

You can always move the appointment forward on your phone. I haven't tried it but I assume it will show up again if it is now no longer in the past.

Reactions: Vrrooom
I hear that the "Remote S for Tesla" app is amazing and offers so many more features than the official Tesla app. Can anyone confirm?

I like Remote S, which has outgrown the name since it works fine with the X as well.

Do note that Remote S can't do Summon or Homelink these days, however - Tesla changed Summon to a new real time connection API a little while back, and so far none of the third party apps can use it. (You'll get a message about the servers being busy instead.)

I hear that the "Remote S for Tesla" app is amazing and offers so many more features than the official Tesla app. Can anyone confirm?
Remote S is one of, if not THE, best thought out and complete apps on my iPhone AND Apple Watch.

The reality is, you must really keep the official Tesla App running in the background of your iPhone/Android all the time, if for nothing more than to receive pushed notifications (Firmware Updates, Charging, Alarm) and if you want your MS to pick up on Calendar meetings. Therefore, if a MS/MX owner wants to save a few bucks or stay "Pure Tesla", they have a free tool available.

For me though, having Remote S provides an alternative compact interface, that once you understand it, is simple to use. I use the Apple Watch interface most often to just check-in on my MS and occasional vent on hot days while I'm approaching the vehicle. Allen has thought out and documented how he deals with Tesla Tokens being maintained only on your device (not a server in the sky), so I'm comfortable with Remote S security (unlike some other apps). IMHO, purchasing Remote S isn't a decision that should take most Tesla + iPhone owners a lot of thought time -- we can afford a $100K car and an $800 phone, and likely spend more disposable income on popcorn and soda at the movies, a stop at a fast food joint, or a day or two at Starbucks, than clicking "BUY" on this really great app now and using it over-and-over-and-over. ;)

Can someone explain why the connection and response rate for the Remote S app is so much faster than the Tesla app? It is like the difference between the speed of a Tesla and an iICE car. Really.
The Tesla app waits for the car to respond before doing anything. Other apps give you the interface and let you send commands before the car responds. This later option is a much better option, but not the one Tesla chose.

It looks like the Tesla owning audience is about evenly split - I was actually expecting more iPhones than that even, since Apple owns most of the upper market:

2015 Poll for all owners - Android or iPhone?
That doesn't say anything about the Tesla owning audience, only the people who responded to the poll.

With Android owning the vast majority of the tech early adopter market, and all of the highest end smart phones, it's a wonder that as many people as did selected iPhone on that poll. When you add the current 84% market share of android (with Apple now down to 14% (the 18% number I quoted earlier was 2015 numbers, 14% is 2016))
We really need developers to stop pandering to the small minority and start developing for the majority of users.

• Disagree
Reactions: eshaheen
An additional note on Remote S: it shows the current car mileage odometer. I can't believe the standard Tesla app does not show this. I use the odometer to determine how many miles I traveled during the day for the amount of battery charged used.

Also, Remote S allows you to set the exact percent charge rather than guessing at where a slider is sitting on a small bar.