Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HW3 is coming,changed since yesterday APH3 code to APH4, eu design studio
Design Your Model S 54432298_1988441658116997_7933042017209155584_n.png

I sincerely hope that HW3 upgrade priority will be part of the early access program for all of you early adopters.

I think after all the stuff they did with model 3 features etc, I think many S/X owners' patience is wearing thin. They should start retrofitting HW2 owners first off that bought it on launch day (I am not one of those but they deserve it more than me).
Those who ordered while it was cheap or got it included later for free, should be the last in line.

It's only fair!

I think after all the stuff they did with model 3 features etc, I think many S/X owners' patience is wearing thin. They should start retrofitting HW2 owners first off that bought it on launch day (I am not one of those but they deserve it more than me).
Those who ordered while it was cheap or got it included later for free, should be the last in line.

It's only fair!

Indeed.

Actually a really smart goodwill gesture would be to start the retrofits from AP2 cars only for the time being. They would be limited in number and Tesla could (rightfully) say AP2 buyers deserve them the most. They could move onto AP2.5 later when they have the time and money for it...

Tesla needs cash, a new customer helps with that, a current customer does not.
Tesla had 3 billion+ in cash last quarter. Getting FSD deployed would remove some of the deferred revenue liability and increase profit.
Besides, the vendor should be set up for peak production rate so no shortage of HW3s in various flavors.

Indeed. See how they formulated Model Y orders not as downpayments but as costs for processing the order or somesuch that they can count as immediate profit...

It was the same for the 3. Deposit is refundable until you get matched with a VIN. Then it is non-refundable thus the wording that it is not part of car price, although you do get an offsetting credit on the final price.
While not escrowed, deposits are tracked in the liabilities section and do not impact profit.

They can't keep pissing in the pants to keep warm forever.
You seem to be excusing them a lot. Do you work for Tesla? :)

Quote the opposite, but I didn't know stating the obvious was an excuse?

Anything goes I guess for some without morals or adherence to the law.

I pre-paid. They have my money. They need to deliver what I paid for. Why not take money for entire cars and just not deliver them?

I don't disagree that people who paid before (me included) should get it first, but it's still a business, and a public one at that.

Tesla had 3 billion+ in cash last quarter. Getting FSD deployed would remove some of the deferred revenue liability and increase profit.
Besides, the vendor should be set up for peak production rate so no shortage of HW3s in various flavors.

I'm guessing you forgot how often Tesla has parts shortages from vendors?

I don't disagree that people who paid before (me included) should get it first, but it's still a business, and a public one at that.

Your post above seems to prioritize selling new cars instead of upgrading existing ones. I guess, I am confused. There should be no shortage of chips -- these were fabbed just for Tesla. Clearly they'll want 500k+ of them just for this year's production (right, Elon?). They'll have spare chips if they want them to go to customers, it should happen.

The fact Tesla is saying nothing and has not been giving updates to Model S/X owners actually indicates to me they might be deploying features that go beyond HW2 already and see a need to upgrade HW2 owners before they can implement them whereas HW2.5 might be able to make it further in the development cycle.

Reactions: OPRCE and mongo