Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I need to clarify a bit. First, we still don't know how exactly those maps are created, so we can't say for sure that all Tesla cars are generating maps at the moment. We just don't know.

Second, this 1cm accuracy I mentioned is the accuracy of the mechanism of storing geographical coordinates in the file. This does NOT mean that the overall accuracy of the map is at the same order of magnitude. We don't know this. It does not even give us any hint about the accuracy of the map. All I can tell about it is that the person who choose the format for storing the coordinates did the smart thing. I only wanted to point out the actual precision of the values in the file when compared to how I decided to display them in the viewer.

Sorry for the confusion.

No confusion, except with the op.

Is it possible to put some sample '*.tile' files in an anonymous dropbox, shared Uploadfiles.io - Upload files, for free, securely, anonymously, without limits. file (no registration required and results in URL for download), or somewhere for people to play with the ADAS Map view tool?

I guess people could PM me with a URL if they didn't want to put it in this thread and I could put it on a free uploadfiles.io account but the files only last 30 days on the free account.

Last edited:
Is it possible to put some sample '*.tile' files in an anonymous dropbox, shared Uploadfiles.io - Upload files, for free, securely, anonymously, without limits. file (no registration required and results in URL for download), or somewhere for people to play with the ADAS Map view tool?

I guess people could PM me with a URL if they didn't want to put it in this thread and I could put it on a free uploadfiles.io account but the files only last 30 days on the free account.

DamianXVI said:
Right now it looks like this:
  • I'm finding Geohash of the place using an online decoder.
  • I'm downloading the tile files using a web browser.
  • Then processing this tile using a piece of code in C# that was created as a result of my experiments with the file format, and that right now is a horrible hackish mess with lots of hardcoded paths, and stuff...
  • This code is creating an image, draws bounding boxes of geohashes found in it and on top of it draws spline paths (using Bezier curves) from the points read from the file.
  • Next I'm grabbing a screenshot of Google maps and composing it with the image of paths in Paint.NET. Sometimes stitching a couple screenshots together. First images were combined using geohash boundaries as reference (to be sure that the roads actually match by their coordinates, not by me stretching them), last images I just combined so that the roads match with the map.
I believe this is not the full answer for your question... Right now I don't have much time, but I do intend to work on this more in a couple of weeks, and maybe (but just maybe) create some tool or viewer.

In the meantime, have a piece of San Francisco Bay Area.

LAYMEN

1cm sounded damn cool and regardless if 8 cameras are creating maps or just pictures or whatever it’s very progressive and ahead of the other manufacturers.

I promise to just be a reader of the forum, nor more comments from the laymen

But seriously it’s good reading you guys and thank you.

Just to help out and hopefully teach some folks how to fish, to find the tiles your looking for and to play around, you take the lat/long of the place your looking for say the gigafactory;
39.538153, -119.439018

Then you need to determine the geohash for that location, you can use this tool(I am sure there are others)
Geohash Converter

Put in the lat/long you discovered from google, that returns a location hash:
9r50fjenmjvj

You then take the first 5 characters of the hash and form your tile file:
9r50f.tile

You then fix your URL and download the gigafactory tile:
https://daws.tesla.services/iiNG2d6xFR1USl/dev/9r50f.tile

Which you can then view in @DamianXVI awesome tool.

Happy hunting!

(If this is giving away to much, please let me know and I will delete, or report me to the mods to have the post deleted)

Just to help out and hopefully teach some folks how to fish, to find the tiles your looking for and to play around, you take the lat/long of the place your looking for say the gigafactory;
39.538153, -119.439018
Much appreciated.
FYI to others here is an easy way to get that lat/long from a google map. I do the right click on a drop pin/location then pick the "What's here?" menu option. Then just cut-n-paste the lat/long from the resulting popup box.
aid1248331-v4-728px-Get-Latitude-and-Longitude-from-Google-Maps-Step-15.jpg

I promised to provide some kind of viewer for map tiles, so here is a very basic tool....

Viewer have a list of “Highlight” modes that can visualize many of those fields (especially flags) with colors on the map. This is a way to make some sense out of them in the context. Those are not the best usage instructions for the viewer, but I hope you will figure it out.
Really great work on that analysis. No doubt you considered this but is there a way to put the google maps image as a background on that display using the LAT/LONG boundaries. I know you have them in the Tile Info area.

Tile: dp3qq
Bounds: 41.87988281, -87.97851563 - 41.92382813, -87.93457031
<snip>

I realized I'm showing my programming ignorance on this .NET frame support but I did see this google api info that displays the map by boundaries.
stackexchange info: Can I view a Google Maps map by bounding latitude and longitude coordinates

var southWest = new google.maps.LatLng(36.90731625763393,-86.51778523864743);
var northEast = new google.maps.LatLng(37.02763411292923,-86.37183015289304);
var bounds = new google.maps.LatLngBounds(southWest,northEast);
myMap.fitBounds(bounds);

No doubt you considered this but is there a way to put the google maps image as a background on that display using the LAT/LONG boundaries. I know you have them in the Tile Info area.

Yes, I did consider that. It is theoretically possible to match those maps with any other maps, not just because there are boundaries of tiles, but because everything is using geographical coordinates as its coordinate system, so the Lat/Lon coordinates are know for every point, and every structure. I even looked into some URL templates to download tile images from google maps (I never worked with any web service of this kind), but this started to complicate, both on side of figuring out the boundaries of google map tiles when working outside of the web browser, and on side of properly and fluently displaying the map images downloaded from the web in the viewer (its drawing routines are very simple at the moment). So I left this idea for now and focused on finishing some usable and simple tool at first. It is not impossible, it just requires more work and time. In the mean time I created a function to export the map visualization with transparent background, that allows to manually composite it in a graphic editor.

Here are a couple examples of F23 I saw around the Tesla service center

Splines forming parking lots are actually not that uncommon. I found out that the area around San Francisco (that the big image of i posted previously) have a lot of interesting info of this kind. Here is once again this map with parking lot splines highlighted:
SFParkings.png
At the bottom you can see Tesla HQ parking lot, in the middle Stanford Shopping Center I previously posted, on the right some parts of Google campus, and Facebook HQ at the top.

So possible the 4th house down on Illinois street in your second image (right side of the road) almost ran into their garage door with their Tesla?

This is why @scottf200 asked about automatic overlay with google maps. Sometimes the situation can be confusing without it:
ill.jpg

How much information do these tiles contain anyway?

Would they be useful for eap/fsd at all?

Just looking at you guys photos (awsm btw), they don’t seem more detailed than the google maps maps maps...

Don’t have time yet to sit down and play with this

How much information do these tiles contain anyway?

Would they be useful for eap/fsd at all?

Just looking at you guys photos (awsm btw), they don’t seem more detailed than the google maps maps maps...

Don’t have time yet to sit down and play with this

Well Google Maps maps are quite a gold standard, and don’t have the 30 other channels of metadata along each spline....

I don’t think these tiles are revolutionary, but it is pretty significant.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Is this the actual speed limit data our cars get fed?

It would certainly explain my AP1 car's confusion!

On one of the "splines" I drive daily, the Tile marks the whole stretch as 60 km/h, but in reality it changes to 80 km/h about half way through. It's a European sign that says "no more 60 km/h" which means 80 km/h on this particular spline:

No60.jpg

When I pass this sign, the car won't tell me what the speed limit is, and Autopilot keeps thinking 60 km/h is max speed

Is this the actual speed limit data our cars get fed?

It would certainly explain my AP1 car's confusion!

On one of the "splines" I drive daily, the Tile marks the whole stretch as 60 km/h, but in reality it changes to 80 km/h about half way through. It's a European sign that says "no more 60 km/h" which means 80 km/h on this particular spline:

View attachment 264547

When I pass this sign, the car won't tell me what the speed limit is, and Autopilot keeps thinking 60 km/h is max speed

Not yet I don’t think, in the states at least speed data comes from Tom Tom I believe, this might come more into play with Valhalla aka tesla maps. But I don’t know for sure.

Not yet I don’t think, in the states at least speed data comes from Tom Tom I believe, this might come more into play with Valhalla aka tesla maps. But I don’t know for sure.
Except he said: "It would certainly explain my AP1 car's confusion!" ... so to me that meant that, primary, was Mobileye reading the speedlimit signs and, secondary, if no sign (or no sign for X km/miles) then the speed was from the GPS database.

Last edited:
When I try different lat-longs the digits are the same so I get the same tile. I want to get nearby tiles too!

Re: Nearyby tiles --- NOTE that this tool I found/posted several days ago and above also shows you the surrounding titles. See the red triangle box I put on this image and the surrounding (neighboring) tiles.
Tools: Geohash encoding/decoding

KzHemod.jpg

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
Except he said: "It would certainly explain my AP1 car's confusion!" ... so to me that meant that, primary, was Mobileye reading the speedlimit signs and, secondary, if no sign (or no sign for X km/miles) then the speed was from the GPS database.

No, because it's not the tiles providing the speed limit data, it's a 3rd party data provider, and today it's tom/tom. These tiles are Tesla and Tesla specific, we don't have a Tesla GPS database for speed limits yet.