Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: Nearyby tiles --- NOTE that this tool I found/posted several days ago and above also shows you the surrounding titles. See the red triangle box I put on this image and the surrounding (neighboring) tiles.
Tools: Geohash encoding/decoding
Yes, that’s exactly the post and the tool I was referring to. Very nice with the surrounding tile names.

Hey @DamianXVI could you make it so, that the speed limits show up in the viewer? I.e. not just color codings, but some text that shows the actual speed limit? Or, if that would make the map too busy, maybe a static color map that shows what the colors mean?

Question: How often are the tiles updated? Anyone care to screen grab and check another day for potential updates on «trust» or such?

Question: How often are the tiles updated? Anyone care to screen grab and check another day for potential updates on «trust» or such?
There's a stretch of local road near a supercharger that I drive every day. It has 0% trust and all "unknown speeds" are empty. I've never driven that road with AP on so I'll try it tomorrow if the isn't too much snow.

How much information do these tiles contain anyway?

Would they be useful for eap/fsd at all?

I'm under impression, that you should not really look at those files as "maps" in classic meaning of this word, where map is telling us what is where and is an aid in navigation. I would rather call those files a road information database. The road curvature in real world coordinates is forming something more like an index in the database, in my opinion. Index used to find on which road you are driving on, to find the properties of it. So the properties attached to the spline are the key information the car wants, and the splines position and shape are there to allow to find which road is it (but that is only my opinion).

I wrote all I could figure out about the information attached to the splines in points in my previous post. How those information are used is hard to tell. From Elon Musk explanation we know the use of radar false echoes list. Field 20 reminds me about the promised auto ramp-to-ramp functionality, but this was never released, so who knows. Its more like a guess, but I think that filed 5 is responsible for not drifting into exit lanes, that people called "learning of Autopilot" at early stages of AP1.

Is it enough for EAP/FSD? I don't know, but remember that Tesla can expand that list if needed and populate new field with required data. I'm pretty sure that it was historically expanded already, and the order of fields may be some hint about the order of features introduction.

Is this the actual speed limit data our cars get fed?

It would certainly explain my AP1 car's confusion!

This is the catch - I don't know. When looking at what values this field can take i was under impression, that this is a speed limit. I'm not sure about the actual purpose of this field. And I definitely don't know how the car is utilizing this field.

Right now you know more than me. When talking that this explains AP1 confusing, do you mean that the speed limit reported by the car is consistent with the map, or that there is even more mess?

Hey @DamianXVI could you make it so, that the speed limits show up in the viewer? I.e. not just color codings, but some text that shows the actual speed limit? Or, if that would make the map too busy, maybe a static color map that shows what the colors mean?

Drawing features on the map is very simplistic, that's right. I didn't spent too much time on it. Drawing any values on top of the map can however be tricky. Before I had an interactive tool i tried to print some IDs on a surface of an image, and it resulted in one big mess, so now I'm not very convinced to try that again. It would require to detect that multiple splines forms a single road with same properties, and somehow prevent labels from obscuring each other. I don't know.

What is definitively missing is a legend. Every map should have a legend, like every chart needs to have its axes labeled. This is something that should be added. And the scale of colors used to label roads can be widened. Right now its just green-yellow-red. Wider scale would make it easier to distinguish different properties.

I think you should rather check the tile hash, or something like that. The differences could bee too small, to notice them on the rendering.

@DamianXVI btw the unknown values could be mapped into the known ones. just need a rooted car, drive to a place with unknown flag, examine the das variables (no programmign required) to see what changed vs a nearby tile with a different set of flags => get to know the new flags.

I guess I need to take a closer look about what's set around here that's marked as unknown and report it (eventually, as I have time to drive there).

lunitiks said: Is this the actual speed limit data our cars get fed? It would certainly explain my AP1 car's confusion!
This is the catch - I don't know. When looking at what values this field can take i was under impression, that this is a speed limit. I'm not sure about the actual purpose of this field. And I definitely don't know how the car is utilizing this field. Right now you know more than me. When talking that this explains AP1 confusing, do you mean that the speed limit reported by the car is consistent with the map, or that there is even more mess?
I thought it would be pretty interesting to look at the 'tile' in the area I saw my AP1 car misread the Illinois-route-83 road sign as 80 MPH. (this thread: Camera read IL Rt 83 sign as 85 MPH sign!)

I found the area on google maps and then used the lat/long to locate the tile geohash. I used your very cool tool to look at the splines in that area but did not see anything unusual.

Aside: Note that your label called 'Not Divided:' seems odd to me. It would make more sense as 'Divided:' since in both these examples the roads are divided highways and the value next to the label is 'Yes'.

What I did see related to that road (IL-rt-83) was that additional road signs showed that road as 45 MPH but your spline info showed them at 25 MPH. I absolutely understood your point to lunitiks that you are not sure about the values but I wanted to give you some details.

PrKMf9v.jpg

Also the highway Illinois (IL-55) is 55 MPH and I confirmed in google street view.

rAtDogn.jpg

Wish I had more help. I'm curious where you came up with the exact values of '25.00mph' and '30.00mph' you display next to 'Speed Limit:'. Do you round these up from some calculation? I am not trying to be critical with any of this but just trying to help and to understand.

Area in question:
41.741719, -87.944226
https://daws.tesla.services/iiNG2d6xFR1USl/dev/dp3mw.tile

7UIg4f7.jpg

Last edited:
@DamianXVI btw the unknown values could be mapped into the known ones. just need a rooted car, drive to a place with unknown flag, examine the das variables (no programmign required) to see what changed vs a nearby tile with a different set of flags => get to know the new flags.

I guess I need to take a closer look about what's set around here that's marked as unknown and report it (eventually, as I have time to drive there).

If the features from the map can be seen in the debug view as variables, than yeah, that's a good idea. It just requires to find appropriate parts of the road on the map and actually drive there. One of the things that I am afraid of right now is that I will send somebody to the wild hunt searching for the map features like pokemons, because of my mistakes in the map viewer, so please keep it within common sense. I can't do anything like that anyway, because of obvious reasons...

What I did see related to that road (IL-rt-83) was that additional road signs showed that road as 45 MPH but your spline info showed them at 25 MPH. I absolutely understood your point to lunitiks that you are not sure about the values but I wanted to give you some details.

I believe you might confuse the roads on the maps, so maybe lets try to figure it out. At your first screenshot the highlighted spline (Id 0198BCC3) is not Road 83, its a part of Main St.

Highlighted spline on your second screenshot (Id 01987D57) is not a highway, its a part of Maple Ave.

Both of those spline are part of dp3mv tile, not dp3mw. Highway 55 is not visible until tile dp3mq.

Here's a tip for verifying things with the maps: Right-click on any point in the viewer and from the context menu select "Copy Location Coordinates". This will place the exact coordinates in the clip board. You can paste those into search box of google maps to find where it is exactly on the map.

Can you verify this again?

I'm curious where you came up with the exact values of '25.00mph' and '30.00mph' you display next to 'Speed Limit:'. Do you round these up from some calculation?

Those are values read from the tile file. I did not round them up, they are stored like that, and that is why i believe those are speed limits. To be precise, all speed values are stored in meters per second (strict SI units, very smart move), and when converter into miles per hour it ends up being this round number (I am not rounding them up more than displaying with two digits after decimal point).

What I found out just today, is that in some tiles of the "live" branch in Europe those values were rounded up to the integers as meters per second, and values in km/h were not round. This is changed in the "dev" branch, where speed limits are exact and round in units used in given region.

I am not trying to be critical with any of this but just trying to help and to understand.

I totally understand, and thank you for your effort.

Aside: Note that your label called 'Not Divided:' seems odd to me. It would make more sense as 'Divided:' since in both these examples the roads are divided highways and the value next to the label is 'Yes'.

Maybe you were looking at the wrong splines and that's the answer, but try to turn on this feature as highlight and look at the bigger part of the map. All local roads have this flag active, all highways not. What convinced me to name this flag that way are some specific places that this flag changes its value, like this one.

Last edited:
By the way, is it possible that "not divided - yes" mean it's not a two way street?

You mean the other way around - that it is a two way street? Not really, because it is possible to find both two way and one way streets (with a single line) with that flag active. But don't pay too big attention to this name. It's just something that I came up with. It may mean something similar, or be somehow related. The only pattern I found out about it is that it is not active for roads with any kind of central divider, even if it's something like this.

You mean the other way around - that it is a two way street? Not really, because it is possible to find both two way and one way streets (with a single line) with that flag active. But don't pay too big attention to this name. It's just something that I came up with. It may mean something similar, or be somehow related. The only pattern I found out about it is that it is not active for roads with any kind of central divider, even if it's something like this.

Unfortunately I can't not never confuse not divided.

Maybe you were looking at the wrong splines and that's the answer, but try to turn on this feature as highlight and look at the bigger part of the map. All local roads have this flag active, all highways not. What convinced me to name this flag that way are some specific places that this flag changes its value, like this one.
That is a great example and I captured it to show it to others below.
My understanding now is that you were trying to make the label match the on/off (1/0) value in the file. I don't think I meant to suggest your observation was incorrect/wrong.
My suggestion was to make it sound or look more straight forward from a UI standpoint.
That is I understand 'Not Divided: No' means it IS divided. I was suggesting using a more user/viewer friendly label and corresponding value of 'Divided: Yes' to mean 'yes' the road is 'divided'.
No offense and leave it as you will. It was just a UI suggestion. (haha, yes, your code would look a little strange in that: IF value=0, then string = 'yes' )

T40Fg1F.jpg

JRnjIG8.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: lunitiks
I believe you might confuse the roads on the maps, so maybe lets try to figure it out. At your first screenshot the highlighted spline (Id 0198BCC3) is not Road 83, its a part of Main St.
Highlighted spline on your second screenshot (Id 01987D57) is not a highway, its a part of Maple Ave.
Both of those spline are part of dp3mv tile, not dp3mw. Highway 55 is not visible until tile dp3mq.
Here's a tip for verifying things with the maps: Right-click on any point in the viewer and from the context menu select "Copy Location Coordinates". This will place the exact coordinates in the clip board. You can paste those into search box of google maps to find where it is exactly on the map. Can you verify this again?

1) Dang it! I can verify that I was an idiot and I apologize for wasting your time by you having to clarify my mistake. In my defense, I thought I went from google maps and got the lat/long then used Geohash encoding/decoding to get me the correct geohash tile name. Apparently I screwed that up and missed multiple clues including the obvious thing of the clover-leafed off/on ramps!!

Great tip on using right click to get the 'Copy Location Coordinates' as I missed that this was a feature of the program. Obviously I can used that to double check my work.

2) Green box: VERY interesting that the tile appears to contain 3 snapshot samples from real-world cars. It shows the actual speed limit of 55 MPH but the 3 cars doing 67.47, 67.77, and 66.14 mph under the 'Local Speeds'. As well it shows if they were accelerating (positive) or de-accelerating (negative) -- assuming I understood this section.

5r4vo2f.jpg

P.S. Consider putting F10 and F11 in feet to the side as well (1m=3.2808ft) ? 4.85 [m] (15.91[ft])

Last edited:
2) Green box: VERY interesting that the tile appears to contain 3 snapshot samples from real-world cars. It shows the actual speed limit of 55 MPH but the 3 cars doing 67.47, 67.77, and 66.14 mph under the 'Local Speeds'. As well it shows if they were accelerating (positive) or de-accelerating (negative) -- assuming I understood this section
Is this what that means? That’s incredible. How does that correlate to the values in the trust’o’meter?

• Love
Reactions: buttershrimp
1) Dang it! I can verify that I was an idiot and I apologize for wasting your time by you having to clarify my mistake. In my defense, I thought I went from google maps and got the lat/long then used Geohash encoding/decoding to get me the correct geohash tile name. Apparently I screwed that up and missed multiple clues including the obvious thing of the clover-leafed off/on ramps!!

Great tip on using right click to get the 'Copy Location Coordinates' as I missed that this was a feature of the program. Obviously I can used that to double check my work.

2) Green box: VERY interesting that the tile appears to contain 3 snapshot samples from real-world cars. It shows the actual speed limit of 55 MPH but the 3 cars doing 67.47, 67.77, and 66.14 mph under the 'Local Speeds'. As well it shows if they were accelerating (positive) or de-accelerating (negative) -- assuming I understood this section.

5r4vo2f.jpg

P.S. Consider putting F10 and F11 in feet to the side as well (1m=3.2808ft) ? 4.85 [m] (15.91[ft])

Holy Crap balls! Do you have any idea what this means?

Open Streetmap has been around a long time. I read that Tesla was adopting it for mapping, but didn't think through the consequences for OSM. Under the Open Source model, users' corrections and additions are available to all. With Tesla's contributions, OSM's resolution will increase by one or more orders of magnitude in areas where Teslas drive. OSM has never been considered serious competition for Google, but that may change.

Reactions: buttershrimp
Holy Crap balls! Do you have any idea what this means?

I need someone to come get this info off my vehicle so I can pair it to videos like this new one.... All my videos are trying to confuse the hell out of autopilot... if only I wasn't an idiot and had real tech abilities... I could be some verygreen mutant (like KMAN mixed with @lunitiks)

Last edited:
Is this what that means? That’s incredible. How does that correlate to the values in the trust’o’meter?

Reviewing his initial description here, Tesla Autopilot maps , it appears he described this and ( just had not put 2+2 together ;) -- I don't see your point about trust-o-meter (trust %?) but I could see it being used as a resiliency test ... for example, when my AP1 car read the IL-rt-83 sign as 83 MPH but the spline F15 data said cars were only driving between 40-50 then it could guess the speed limit reading sign software goofed up!
(F15) List with local speeds along the spline. This looks to be describing speed observed on the road with greater granularity. List does not refer to the specific points along the spline, so I assumed it should be spread along the whole spline in equal distances (it looks reasonable when visualized on the map). Each entry contains two fields, first looks to be speed, second might be an observed acceleration.

I promised to provide some kind of viewer for map tiles, so here is a very basic tool.
First, and most importantly: Please DO NOT take the visualizations and information provided by this tool too seriously. I figured out the meaning of most of the data using "common sense", just by looking at the data in some context. I might be mistaken with some stuff. <snip>
(F7) Single byte Boolean flag, unknown meaning.
<snip> Viewer have a list of “Highlight” modes that can visualize many of those fields (especially flags) with colors on the map.

You may or may not find this useful but in this tile there was a railroad track that went over the road and it caused my AP1 X to brake only 1 of X times last May. I looked at the tile hoping to see radar or some info but all all I saw was a strange couple splines. F7 was Yes in one and No in the next. It was also at the exit point of Glacier National Park in the state of Montana. Looks like the speed limit changed from 55mph to 70 mph.

https://daws.tesla.services/iiNG2d6xFR1USl/dev/c2x4r.tile GNP railroad overhead

bEMV0wY.jpg

5hj2xAC.jpg