Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot Vs. GM SuperCruise, Head-to-Head (Spoiler: Supercruise almost runs table)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"I'm guessing they have [X] Lidar-mapping cars, and [Y] amount of time. X/Y = quarterly updates. That's pretty good in theory, but not so good if a road closure occurs the day after your SuperCruise map update.
If SuperCruise thinks a road falls within its operational domain but conditions on the ground have changed and the road no longer qualifies, once-reasonable expectations for the system are rendered unsafe."

Aka: Don't try and use this in Dallas. Or Seattle.

That's too bad. I hope they have gas stations mapped then.

If you drive anywhere near legal US speeds, especially on level ground, the CT6 has over 500 miles of range. Yes, the NAV finds gas, but why? Heck, you can even ask a human "take me to nearest gas station" without taking your eyes off the road at any time and get there (the HUD is NAV equipped).

Yes and it doesn't have super cruise, meaning the only way to get super cruise is to buy an ICE. No thanks.

Correct. The PHEV variant does not have a SC option since it's a Chinese market design and SC is geo-mapped.

The odds that GM will spend hundreds of millions and 6 years on the technology and only outfit one of their worst selling models with it are probably slim. Will the Bolt/Volt or upcoming Buick EV get it? Who knows? But the best way to pay for R&D is to sell vehicles that have it.

Correct. The PHEV variant does not have a SC option since it's a Chinese market design and SC is geo-mapped.

The odds that GM will spend hundreds of millions and 6 years on the technology and only outfit one of their worst selling models with it are probably slim. Will the Bolt/Volt or upcoming Buick EV get it? Who knows? But the best way to pay for R&D is to sell vehicles that have it.
This is one of those rare times I think you're too pessimistic about GM. China is now their most important single market and China wants more advanced driver aides if not autonomy. GM will provide it. Their strict geo-fenced semi-annual update policy will not long-survive. As a beginning it has merit but they'll do better quickly and then nearly everything on sale in china will have it available. SuperCruise is a test, nothing more. Anyway their Chinese partners are making quick progress too.

The problem with this review is it's never actually has any head-to-head competition.

Instead it's a person with a lot of experience driving the three autopilot systems (AP1, AP2, AP2.5) along with the SuperCruise system. Where he lists out a bunch of categories, and declares a winner based on his subjective opinion.

As an example there is operational domain where Supercruise wins. It wins because it's extremely limited in where/when it will engage. Sure having a more controlling babysitter is important for the parent, but not the child. So it really depends on the viewpoint.

It also wins "lane-changing" by not actually changing lanes. So apparently in this review we're the parents.

Updates is kind of a funny one as it tends to bring a lot of expectations. But, it doesn't really matter if what you want is never released. Like it's been over a year and still no sign of EAP for AP2/AP2.5. I'm not entirely sure we're being good parents by declaring the Tesla the winner. They could come out with EAP tomorrow, and I'm not sure we want that for our kid.

The mode confusion category is also the same thing as disengagements/transition warning. I'm not sure why the author chose to have two categories for it. In any case yes our kid is safer in the caddy as it even has the butt alarm.

In all seriousness it is a good article, but its a tough comparison.

It is because with AP we're on a journey towards self driving, but the SuperCruise system isn't part of that journey. It's an awesome solution for an L2 driver assistance. But, it's the last of the L2 only systems. In fact it's going to be bested by the Audi A8 that will be capable of L3 in very limited situations.

Spending millions of dollars, and 6 years on technology only not to take full advantage of it is the most GM like thing GM could do. :p

Reactions: Dr. J
GM has elected to take a brute force approach by pre-scanning roads with LIDAR and then limiting operational domain. Tesla’s philosophy leads to a more extensible solution that can truly reach self-contained FSD, eventually.

GM has elected to take a brute force approach by pre-scanning roads with LIDAR and then limiting operational domain. Tesla’s philosophy leads to a more extensible solution that can truly reach self-contained FSD, eventually.
iu

If supercruise is so well.. then why doesn't GM sell it on their other vehicles?

$5k option for like $1k tops worth of hardware would be a winning deal. But they don't... I wonder why.

This whole thing of "Lidar maps" while the vehicle is not equipped with Lidar seems kind of weird. For sure that didn't keep the system from disengaging itself on numerous occasions on the video... which was a sponsored video by the way....

I haven't driven a car with Supercruise, but I do have a 2014 Cadillac ELR with the radar cruise control. It's on par with AP1's TACC (no autosteer). It's very smooth, handles cut-ins very well, maintains a good following distance, accelerates and brakes smoothly in traffic and has a good user interface. If they added autosteer functionality, it would be a good competitor to AP1 with autopilot. The major difference is that you have to press the accelerator to resume movement after coming to a complete stop. However, the vehicle tries to creep as much as it can without actually stopping, so resuming radar cruise doesn't happen very frequently in most situations.

I'm fine with Supercruise not having automatic lane change. The system disengages and engages smoothly before and after manual lane changes, which is something that Teslas won't do if you have automatic lane change turned off. I actually prefer to change lanes myself because I can control how aggressively or gently the vehicle moves. AP is a one trick pony with lane changes and it's too aggressive according to most people, especially passengers. If AP would allow a driver to do manual lane changes like Supercruise does, I'd be a happy camper, but that option isn't available without fully disengaging and reengaging AP (and TACC) every time you want to change lanes.

I'm wondering if the ELR's system is powered by Mobileye, as it's very similar to AP1 TACC.

Folks, we're talking about two DOMESTIC manufacturers leading the charge for full autonomy, not to mention Waymo, Uber, Lyft, etc.

While I'm aware that there are plenty of international contenders, this has the opportunity for a great American automotive renaissance.

Reactions: bhzmark
In the actual categories related directly to the semi autonomous driving. supercruise almost runs table (other than losing in radar cut-ins)

You mean the same huge update elon promised 2 years ago? and then 2 years before that?

144,000 miles of mapped freeways out of 165,000 total freeways is a "few highways"?

lol that's news to me.
I use AP on surface streets everyday. Call me when GM can do that.