Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot Vs. GM SuperCruise, Head-to-Head (Spoiler: Supercruise almost runs table)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article itself

"Which System Is Best?
Which is why, for now, the answer as to which is best depends on you.

For the average person looking for a true hands-free system, SuperCruise is the only way to go. An easy learning curve, defined operational domain, and great DMS mean SuperCruise will be safer to engage, and safer when engaged. Frustratingly, that will be a lot less than Tesla Autopilot.

Tesla owners and those willing to climb Autopilot's learning curve are going to feel constrained by SuperCruise's restrictions. Since Autopilot isn't a true hands-free system, its safety is ultimately determined by the user's real-time understanding of its limitations, which are a lot less clear than with SuperCruise. Master it, and you will love it."

It is a very well written article and has many good points. I highly recommend reading it.

Interestingly, he appears to be using AP1 as the comparison vs aP2. Granted, AP1 is probably the better of Teslas two systems, but if the review is aimed at informing people who are in the market for new cars, it should probably be AP2.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
No discussion of what it's like in stop and go traffic? C'mon, Roy, get with it. The *primary reason I bought a Tesla* is because Autopilot handles stop and go traffic on the freeway best. Why? it doesn't make me tap the throttle or press a button to resume after every damned stop like the offerings from every other manufacturer I tried at the time did. Maybe SuperCruise doesn't do this, maybe it does. Who can know? Certainly nobody depending on this article.

The owner manual shows it's lame like the rest of 'em, though.

Disingenuous as usual. Completely dominates? There was no ultimate conclusion at to which was better.
Yeah, totally expected behavior, everyone should read the article directly and don't trust the OP's characterization. The article gives pros and cons on either side and leaves the decision up to the reader.

On the bullet points, GM wins 7 total (2 by a hair), and Tesla wins 4. In the conclusion, the GM system's strength is it is very clear in its domain and it is a true hands free system, but that is also its weakness (much more limited in places where it works). The article makes a good point: GM should post the map where the system works given how strict it adheres to this. The article only points out Supercruise working well in LA, but horribly in NY. What about in the Bay Area and Northern California?

The other part is the heading, which suggests AP still ranks in the top 2 of the level 2 systems out there (the author does not think highly of the Pilot Assist that @Bladerskb frequently cheerleads for).
"What about Volvo's Pilot Assist I/II? Better than Drive Pilot, but nowhere near as good as Autopilot. Why didn't Volvo rouse my ire the way Mercedes-Benz did? Because Volvo didn't launch a marketing campaign calling their vehicles "self-driving," like Benz did.

I'm not going to name the others. They should bury their respective systems until they have something as good as Autopilot—or, now, SuperCruise."

And the story also confirms the fact that the system doesn't work well even in pristine conditions in certain parts of New York, something that @Bladerskb completely denied here:
This is a total fabrication.

The Bloomberg reviewer reported that on his test drive between New York City and DC, Supercruise would not enable on "long stretches" of the trip, including "pristine sections of the New Jersey turnpike." Cadillac Finally Has an Answer to Tesla’s Autopilot

There is no suggestion in the article that the inability to engage on long sections of the freeway was due to direct sunlight. There is no indication that it only happened at certain times of the day or only on part of the drive.

You are making this up out of whole cloth -- there is nothing in the article to support it.

But this display your lack of use of any kind of critical thinking. If 19 other reviewers mentioned it and one doesnt. Basic objective analysis will come to very clear conclusion. Dozens of journalists where given rides all over the country.

Relevant part in article:
"In and around NYC, it was almost impossible to engage SuperCruise, even under excellent conditions. It worked eastbound on the Long Island Expressway but not westbound, and it barely worked on the Grand Central Parkway. Then, inexplicably, the little gray steering wheel icon on the dash lit up on the FDR Drive northbound, indicating SuperCruise was available. I activated the system; it worked for about six seconds before disengaging. This happened twice more. GM has some work to do."

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman
Also, don't forget that Lutz actually called all of this year's ago. Who's laughing now? I'll tell you who. Bob F'in Lutz.
5G4QHWZR5ZGRHKUXHBYBITJYT4.jpg

Disingenuous as usual. Completely dominates? There was no ultimate conclusion at to which was better.

In the actual categories related directly to the semi autonomous driving. supercruise almost runs table (other than losing in radar cut-ins)

Maybe you read a different article, I didn' see anything that made me think Autopilot was a slouch. Also considering an Elon promised (huge) update in 3-6 months (1-2 years Elon time), this review will be outdated very shortly.

You mean the same huge update elon promised 2 years ago? and then 2 years before that?

SuperCruise only works on a few highways in the country. Does not work on 99% of roads and none of the roads I drive on. I called around and there are no cars with it available to test drive at any of the dealers around me. It could be a great system but sounds like they are not really pursuing it.

144,000 miles of mapped freeways out of 165,000 total freeways is a "few highways"?

lol that's news to me.

Finally advances are happening quickly enough that the relative benefits of struck geofencing vs inherent system logic can be observed by ordinary people. One no longer needs to have a strictly technical discussion.

Another huge point that the reviewer points out several times is that regardless of other merits, OTA wins over dealer installed and fleet updates win over discontinuous manufacturer updates.

This comparison does revive the question of classical Google Maps vs Waze. Waze wins almost every time. As autonomy spreads continuous fleet updates will be a necessity. Right now nobody, even Tesla, actually does that. Ignoring all other technical issues any substantial advance in self driving will of necessity provide near real-time recognition of accidents, road blockages and other impediments.

Right now, Tesla has the best chance of achieving real world updates because of OTA. GM has made some major advances but still is thinking about a static system.

Hopefully we will soon see much more advances. Right now no system is safe without constant driver attention. Which one one prefers depends on the observer.

For me I really appreciate TACC with warts. It makes daily life easier.

Reactions: mblakele and zmarty