Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backed my inventory P85D into a pole 5 minutes before delivery.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess you have to do what feels right to you, but option #2 seems pretty extraordinary. Passing that up may cause remorse later.

2) I can get a brand new Tesla that I configure that will be delivered in about 1 month. In the meantime they will give me a luxury class rental from Enterprise. They will also pay me for the initial $1650 transport fee and give me $2500 credit towards accessories or service checks.

Option 2 is darn good in my opinion. Option 1 sounds like it would be best for OP because he's worried about the cost of the car and SC network being built out (but thought there were a good number of SCs in FL already?).

Yes, the supercharger build out in FL is pretty darned good already and the destination program is coming along nicely.

Frustrations are understandable but accidents do happen, that's life. I think Tesla has given the OP some good options to choose from considering that his only real loss is inconvenience. FWIW I'd take option 2 or 3, both are nice deals and after happily driving my Roadster for over 4 years and Model S for almost 3 years its not hard to make that recommendation.

Last edited:
Not withstanding how awful this experience was for you, both you and Tesla are so close. You had mentioned that you would have been amenable to a $5,000 concession so between the $2,500 they have offered you, plus a credit for the transfer of another car amounting to another $1,650, they are already at a total concession of $4,150. Just ask them to make that $5,000 for your hassle and disappointment and you can take delivery of the car you liked and i bet in 3 weeks it will be fixed well like nothing ever happened.

The other option is to have them apply that $4,150 credit towards the P85D you wanted to buy as that comes pretty close to the $5,000 you felt was fair.

It will save Tesla the hassle of preparing the car for another buyer and you the hassle of looking for another car. Just go for it.

So here's the latest update:

I spoke to Tesla again today and this is the deal they ultimately proposed:

1) I don't have to take delivery of the car. In this case they will refund me the initial $1650 transport fee, my initial deposit, and the money I wired. In effect, this would mean I don't take a loss on this except my time. They will NOT pay for an Enterprise rental car in the meantime while I look for another car (not a Tesla).

2) I can get a brand new Tesla that I configure that will be delivered in about 1 month. In the meantime they will give me a luxury class rental from Enterprise. They will also pay me for the initial $1650 transport fee and give me $2500 credit towards accessories or service checks.

3) I can order another inventory Tesla in or out of region. They will give me a rental car until I get it. They will also comp me $1650 which was my initial transport fee and give me $2500 credit towards accessories or shipping an out of area inventory car.

4) I can take delivery of the damaged car after it's repaired in 2 weeks. They will pay for a luxury Enterprise rental and waive the $1650 transport fee. I'm unclear if they would also give me $2500 credit, I will need to follow up to ask.

Overall it's good that Tesla came to these terms, but let me tell you I had to negotiate very hard for them to move the line at all and give me a credit and pay for my initial transport fee. I'm happy they finally did consent to this and reimbursement of my initial transport fee (which, by the way, was not disclosed to me prior to sale, although I understand this mistake because they thought I was taking delivery in region).

Anyway, I'll make my final decision tomorrow. Most likely, I'm not going to move forward with getting a Tesla. Since the timeline has been shifted for me about 2 months forward, it makes more sense to buy a used P85D in a year once these cars have depreciated and the supercharger network is better developed.

I think their final proposal is fair, but like I said, their initial offer was only a $1200 service credit. It took me days of negotiating. I'm kind of tired on this whole ordeal and don't think it's meant to be.

The deal looks pretty good considering it wasn't even a car he owned yet. Signature customers got their cars with a massive deposit over a year late and weren't able to haggle over compensation. Trying to extract another $850 out of them seems a little unreasonable to me at least. He is getting a rental car so zero expenses at this point it seems other than hassle of waiting.

I tend to agree with you. I think if you add all their incentives together we are at $4,150 and that's pretty close to the $5,000 that the OP felt was reasonable. If I were the OP, I would just take the P85D that he wanted to buy with the $4,150 in incentives offered and call it a day. It makes no sense to buy a car now and buy something else a year later and pay taxes and depreciation for two cars.

The $4150 is not one of the formal options offered by Tesla but I don't see why they can't offer this option as it is basically combining what they are essentially offering with each of the other options.

The deal looks pretty good considering it wasn't even a car he owned yet. Signature customers got their cars with a massive deposit over a year late and weren't able to haggle over compensation. Trying to extract another $850 out of them seems a little unreasonable to me at least. He is getting a rental car so zero expenses at this point it seems other than hassle of waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

Was it silver?

:)

In time for the Model X launch I am hoping they will come out with a nice shade of silver or light gray -- but otherwise there is always white or white to choose from... :)

Still surprised they dropped silver as a color though... Good thing the car the OP picked was not silver as that would be quite difficult to replace right now!

Yes, the supercharger build out in FL is pretty darned good already and the destination program is coming along nicely.

Frustrations are understandable but accidents do happen, that's life. I think Tesla has given the OP some good options to choose from considering that his only real loss is inconvenience. FWIW I'd take option 2 or 3, both are nice deals and after happily driving my Roadster for over 4 years and Model S for almost 3 years its not hard to make that recommendation.

Clearly anyone interested in owning a Tesla would jump at either option 2 or 3. That the OP is finding reasons like depreciation and not having more SCs (when there are more than enough in FL already) definitely suggests that the OP doesn't want to drive a Tesla, which is of course his right.

Clearly anyone interested in owning a Tesla would jump at either option 2 or 3. That the OP is finding reasons like depreciation and not having more SCs (when there are more than enough in FL already) definitely suggests that the OP doesn't want to drive a Tesla, which is of course his right.

Did you miss the part about the OP wiring money to Tesla to buy the car? I feel your characterization of the OP is unreasonable. Why would you question the OP's motive when he had essentially paid for the car? Yes, now after all the time and hassle he's questioning everything but given he had essentially paid for the car you can't reasonably question his sincerity to buy the car.

It is a major purchase and this is all the reason these purchases should go smoothly. It is natural and human nature to question the entire purchase when something does not go smoothly and it could very well be the case that the OP just got tired of all the hoops he had to jump through and all the time it took to get to this point. I can imagine it kind of sucking all the joy out of the experience usually associated with buying a new car. We own a business and see this every day. When someone is ready to buy, we make it easy as possible to close the sale.

Whatever option the OP ends of selecting is his right and based on what he feels is best and I feel it is unfair to question his motives. I think the consensus seems to be that now we've reached a point where some reasonable options are offered to the OP. If I were the OP I would take the $2,500 + $1,650 option that was offered and apply that towards this car.

The situation might have turned out differently if these more reasonable options were offered earlier before this topic reached 21 pages of discussion...

To give everyone an update on my final decision.

They sent me an inventory car list which were not any where close to the deal I got with my original purchase. The cars in area have 4000+ miles (and often more expensive with less features), whereas the initial inventory car I was supposed to buy had less than 1000 and was fully loaded. They said I can get an out of area inventory, but then the $2500 credit they were supposed to give me for my trouble then goes to paying shipping costs.

I'm just so over this ordeal. I decided to get a full refund including my initial deposit and wire transfer.

Kind of a shame, but I've had so much hassle with this deal that I just want this whole situation to be closed.

Last edited:
To give everyone a final update on my decision.

They sent me an inventory car list which were not any where close to the deal I got with my original purchase. The cars in area have 4000+ miles (and often more expensive with less features), whereas the initial inventory car I was supposed to buy had less than 1000 and was fully loaded. They said I can get an out of area inventory, but then the $2500 credit they were supposed to give me for my trouble then goes to paying shipping costs.

I'm just so over this ordeal. I decided to get a full refund including my initial deposit and wire transfer.

Kind of a shame, but I've had so much hassle with this deal that I just want this whole situation to be closed.

Understandable but you do realize that they offered you almost $5,000 in incentives to buy the Model S you wanted right?

I didn't think the first offer you received was fair but this last offer certainly was fair. Maybe you should sleep on this for the night.

You are right about the current inventory P85D pricing not making any sense. Some are more expensive than buying a new car due to the recent change in the pricing structure! I recently looked at available P85Ds for sale and none made any sense with the pricing there were offering. It seems they are under the mistaken assumption that many customers will consider buying an inventory car to cut back on the wait time but I bet most are considering an inventory car not to save on wait time but to receive a reasonable discount. Unless you save around 10% I think it just makes sense to buy a new car configured just the way you want.

And then there is the P85D you found configured just the way you want it. Sleep on it and see how you feel tomorrow :)

Understandable but you do realize that they offered you almost $5,000 in incentives to buy the Model S you wanted right?

No, they did NOT offer me $5000 in incentives. They offered me $2500 and compensation for the original $1650 transport fee I paid. So all things considered, it's a $2500 credit, not $5000. Also, since they don't have any inventory cars in region that match what I'm looking for (because they are overpriced and higher mileage), this $2500 credit would be used to transport the vehicle in region. So essentially it's $0 CREDIT. The only way it is a $2500 credit is if I buy a new car and wait another month or buy an in region inventory car (which is not available to the specs of my original purchase).

My time, energy and all this hassle is not worth $2500.. Basically an extra month wait (so 2+ months total). I moved out to Colorado for 2 months to enjoy this car, which is no longer happening.

No, they did NOT offer me $5000 in incentives. They offered me $2500 and compensation for the original $1650 transport fee I paid. So all things considered, it's a $2500 credit, not $5000. Also, since they don't have any inventory cars in region that match what I'm looking for (because they are overpriced and higher mileage), this $2500 credit would be used to transport the vehicle in region. So essentially it's $0 CREDIT.

I would argue to have them waive those transportation costs so you could apply the $2500 towards the car.

What change was this?

The Tech Package essentially being included made a difference in pricing. Under the new pricing the same vehicle is about $4,000 cheaper. So most inventory cars available for sale now need to be about $4,000 less just to compete in price with a new one. When our local Tesla Gallery person sent me an inventory car for review I politely pointed out that I can spec that identical care for less brand new...

You are right about the current inventory P85D pricing not making any sense. Some are more expensive than buying a new car due to the recent change in the pricing structure!

I 100% AGREE. The way they price their inventory cars is VERY shady. They claim large discounts which are not in fact accurate because many of the features are now included or are greatly reduced pricing. I mentioned this on the phone yesterday when speaking with Tesla, but they kind of brushed me off.

It's very hard to compare features and pricing. Basically you need to go to Tesla's website and put in the exact specification of the inventory to see what the REAL discount is. Many times, it's not much at all.