Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backup switch subject to 36” rule?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already took the bet when I moved the location of my panel in anticipation of what the inspector might say. In my case a delay was going to further delay my solar installation. I was looking at a $300 a month electric bill which I hoped to reduce significantly.

I already took the bet when I moved the location of my panel in anticipation of what the inspector might say. In my case a delay was going to further delay my solar installation. I was looking at a $300 a month electric bill which I hoped to reduce significantly.

So you think Eric will pass his inspection when they take a look at that his cool meter-switch today?

I'm amazed PG&E hasn't sent that one guy that screwed my install over to Eric's house. The dude would take one look at your new meter socket and gas riser... then walk out to the street and shut off Eric's power since his house may explode. Then he'd get in his truck and leave because his job is done.

Not sure if it matters, but the backup switch is powered via 12V from the gateway. Not sure if low voltage would get around that rule. My backup switch setup has worked out so far.
Don't overlook that the Powerwall+ must still switch to/from the grid, potentially under full loads at the meter, inside the 36" zone. It isn't all low voltage.

If the rationale behind the NEC 36" rule is gas leak and electric arc ignition risk, Tesla would (ought?) to demonstrate something akin to explosion proof operation. Personally, I don't see the upside to Tesla in doing that.

From my couch, it looks like a win-win bet for @Eric99- if the inspector passes it, he is good to go today. If the inspector fails it, he gets a system that more closely aligns with existing codes, and potentially even safer. So, no, @holeydonut I don't think I would take either side of the bet as it looks like a "heads @Eric99 wins, tails I lose bet..." ;)

Have fun out there!

BG

Reactions: Vines
It wasn't clear from the OP whether he is having the pre-install Tesla site inspection or the post install AHJ inspection. I read it as the former and it seems most are interpreting it as the latter.

Ooohhh I thought he was having an AHJ inspection today for an installed system.

But, based on the experience Coffeci just had in SF East Bay, if it's just Tesla doing a site-review, they'll probably see his riser then cancel his contract lol. However, most people on TMC seem to experience Tesla not doing on-site reviews before installs, so I'm kind of confused.

Don't overlook that the Powerwall+ must still switch to/from the grid, potentially under full loads at the meter, inside the 36" zone. It isn't all low voltage.

If the rationale behind the NEC 36" rule is gas leak and electric arc ignition risk, Tesla would (ought?) to demonstrate something akin to explosion proof operation. Personally, I don't see the upside to Tesla in doing that.

From my couch, it looks like a win-win bet for @Eric99- if the inspector passes it, he is good to go today. If the inspector fails it, he gets a system that more closely aligns with existing codes, and potentially even safer. So, no, @holeydonut I don't think I would take either side of the bet as it looks like a "heads @Eric99 wins, tails I lose bet..." ;)

Have fun out there!

BG

Damn I just wanted an easy way to try and pay for 1/100th my PG&E gas bill. It's so expensive now :(

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
well, im hoping that if the backup switch isnt an option, they can just go with a gateway

Are you doing a whole home backup or partial? And what is on the other side of the wall from your main service panel? Is it your garage? Or finished space?

User @coffeci had his order cancelled by Tesla because Tesla couldn't even run the conduit near the main service panel due to the gas riser.

image.jpg

Panel is opposite on the left side. That is a gas line as well

Sorry! its the site visit from Tesla. Im just starting the process of Roof/Powerwalls.
In that case, bring it up to the Tesla rep doing the inspection. That will get Tesla on record in saying OK or not. If it was like our Solarroof inspection it should be pretty thorough. The guy went everywhere in our house outside, attic, etc. And opened every electrical panel and box and checked the wiring.