Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ban - Security just kicked me out of an EV spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a similar setup at the LL Bean store here in Maine. LL Bean graciously installed eight solar powered Level 2 systems that are free for patrons to use—right next to the eight Superchargers that were put in at the same time. I would love to plug into one of the Level 2s, (which by the way are frequently ICEd—Bean doesn’t ask customers who ICE spots to move, they are too nice), and spend a leisurely hour or two shopping with my wife. However, I don’t want to deny access to someone who really needs to get to a Level 2 and I feel that it is important to support Tesla so I plug into the Supercharger when we arrive. Unfortunately, not only do I have to pay to use the Supercharger, but after thirty minutes or so, I have to head back out to the parking lot, leave the conveniently close spot where the Superchargers are located so I don’t incur post-charge idle fees (or deny another Tesla owner access) and drive to the remote parking lot that still has empty spaces, then make my way back to the store. To be honest, I have considered simply unplugging when the charge is complete and staying with the car until my wife is done shopping. If a Tesla shows up needing to charge and there are no empty spots (very rare at this location), I would then move to provide them with access. Note: I have NEVER seen one of the LL Bean Superchargers blocked, even when it is flagrant at the adjacent Level 2s. It almost seems that the ICE drivers are intimidated by them!

Beautiful setup they have there! And yes I agree with that use case, that is not a setup meant for people to be shopping for 3-4 hours. You also would get much more charge in 30 minutes on the SC than L2. That being said, if a Tesla chose to park there, I don't see what is wrong with that if they are shopping at that place of business. Now if the L2 was mostly full, then I agree that would be a jerk move.

Understand OP's reason to prefer the slower charger that he can access for free, compared to plugging into a faster Supercharger that will charge him idle fees after he has filled.

Also understand that it is the decision of the property owner to set the policies as far as parking or charging, no matter how entitled you feel you should be. Sometimes in life, not everything goes they way you would like it to go.

I am really missing where I am entitled? I am not blocking another EV to save a few dollars. I am a frequent patron of that plaza. I am seeing a movie and cannot use the SC to charge as I am not going to leave a movie an hour in to move the car. Also all stalls we're open, minus the one that was ICE'd. When i left, 2 we're open, 1 Tesla charging, 1 still ICE'd. I wouldn't park there and block other EVs. Also, it is my belief that an EV would not go there who was desperate for a charge. Maybe I am wrong on that, and do see that point. But I am not seeing where I am entitled?

He's not claiming that it is his "right" , nor is he claiming they don't have the right to mandate rules as management chooses, but that doesn't mean he can't complain about it.

Right, I am not complaining (rereading my original post, I can see it may have been a tad complaining). I was just more surprised, not trying to complain, and wanted to see what others though.

I ran in with 100 miles range. The 3.5 hours at the movie would get me to probably a hair over 200. The SC is running at 30-45 keep (it's cold out) and been sitting here for 45 minutes while GF and her sister went back home so she is not the happiest camper :(

You should have had the sister go home in her car and you and GF sat in your car charging with Romance Mode and warming up to the fireplace. :p Nice view of Bostom from 6th floor. Nice romantic end to the night.

Does this mean you paid $5K for the capability of charging at SC?? So did I. Yes, I agree, people have different situations, and Tesla should absolutely quit trying to sell cars to people who think they can charge at superchargers. Most of us only charge at SCs on trips, maybe twice a year, and you are using it for daily use. That is not the intended use for SCs.

You did say something about wanting the free charging at the L2 chargers, and you are obviously going to the movies while you wait for your car to charge. That's a pain in the rear, but it's amazing to me how many people do it just like that; head on down to the restaurant while the car charges for free, or hit the mall while the car charges for free, blocking travelers (Oh, yes they do) from 5 AM to 10PM. And always it's the same. "My HOA (or apartment or girlfriend) won't allow me to charge...." TESLA should stop trying to sell cars to people who will have a hard time charging. It's not on you, but on them. They told you, I'll bet, that there was free supercharging, etc, etc. Right?? "Oh you don't need to arrange for an outlet. Just use the supercharger...." They RIPPED your cord out of the outlet??? Did you offer to pay for the ability to charge plus the power used?

I paid several hundred dollars to get an outlet in my garage, and I pay every time I use it. If your apartment wants your rent, I think you could discuss this issue with the owner/manager, with the option to move if need be, but it's sure easier to charge while at the movies.

The "new owner" comment was that somehow you thought it was all right to charge at free L2 chargers for daily charging, and you bought a movie pass to allow you to do just that. That's not what long-term owners do. They arrange for an outlet dedicated for charging, not patch things together night after night trying to get along through another day of work.

I'll be interested how your values change when EV owners take your charging spaces and you don't have free charging. I've been an owner for 6 1/2 years. I can't imagine trying to charge at the movies twice a week, much less every night. I put about 25-30K a year on each of my cars.

Yes, I did not take the $5k refund to keep FUSC.

As for daily use is not the intended use of SC, bullcrap. The Urban chargers are literally built for that. The majority of my time is at the Urban chargers. I also believe strongly in the EV cause and like to be a good example of high mileage with no real work or home charging. Also, Elon said $5k for FUSC was a deal (which it is NOT for most), implying heavy SC usage by some.

I believe I am coming off wrong here. I see your frustration toward EV owners who do not plan or are entitled, I get that. That being said, I am not a casual owner. I have been following since Master Plan 1, a minor stockholder since 2012, and tented outside for several days to reserve Model 3. I am a huge EV fan and Tesla does that best.

Now that being said, I did not go to the movies to get free charging, I can see how EV owners taking advantage is frustrating, I agree. I bought the movie pass as I thought I could see a movie while at SC. Realized that was not the case, but kept it as I typically see 1-2 movies a month and it was a good deal. I hoped I could charge at the L2 while at the movies as it was a good use of time, thus not having to see movie then SC. I don't think I have used that L2 more than a few times for the probably 50-75 times I have used the SC. I do not seek out charging and then find activities around it. My typical time at the SC is to do conference calls while there or grab dinner and work on laptop; thus not losing major time. But I do not huge the L2; do people really do that, waste 4/5 hours to get a few dollars free charge?

As for my home situation, as I said, I have talked to building management and high ups at the company that manages the garage, they won't do it as the estimate was $70k to install it. For me to move to another building, one with charging, because of the deal I have here, would be significantly more money. And yes I talked to building manager on using the 110 and the parking management company; he even came out to check out my car and setup. They were aware I was using 110 and it was a perk to me, no doubt, and appreciated when I had it. But this week I came to my car unplugged and the UMC kicked far under the car. Honestly it may have been a random person.

Ohhhhhh. After re reading your post, I think it came off that I use that L2 daily to charge and go to see a movie. Nooooooo. I use the SC for the charging. Today may actually have been first time I tried the L2 (I forget if it was the Tesla or past Prius prime I plugged in there). I cannot imagine doing my volume of driving living off of L2! I hope that clear up my situation and points. If not, then I welcome this civil dialogue!

Last edited:
Haha, what a hilarious a problem to have.

Around here it's hard to convince Tesla owners that they're not entitled to just park at an EV charger without plugging in. The OP's intention was to plug in and charge.

I would do the same thing under a similar situation.

Why?

It's free versus paid supercharging (unlike the OP I got the $5K refund by giving up free supercharging
It's a slow charge which is better for the battery
It's more convenient (I'm lazy)
It's more time optimized (doing two things at once)
It's not resource constrained as it's less than half full. It's better than being iced.

I don't see anything morally/ethically wrong about it.

Tesla's are so much of the EV population that odds are that I'm mostly going to get in the way of another Tesla wanting to do the same thing.

With that being said if there was a sign that said not to I would obey the sign.

I think I'd figure out how to charge when I'm not driving somewhere. Most cars are in use less than a half hour a day. What most of us see here is that new owners try to get free charging, when it is not free, and everyone else pays good money for gas. Tesla needs to quit trying to sell cars with the line "Oh, you can charge at the supercharger down by the theaters!" No. You can charge at home. And you can charge at home enough that you don't have to use superchargers. Those are for travelers.

Free will always be abused.... Man up and get an outlet in at your place of residence.

Sorry man but regular charging at superchargers are the only way Tesla is going to get more adoption in areas where people can afford to buy the cars.

We have a similar setup at the LL Bean store here in Maine. LL Bean graciously installed eight solar powered Level 2 systems that are free for patrons to use—right next to the eight Superchargers that were put in at the same time. I would love to plug into one of the Level 2s, (which by the way are frequently ICEd—Bean doesn’t ask customers who ICE spots to move, they are too nice), and spend a leisurely hour or two shopping with my wife. However, I don’t want to deny access to someone who really needs to get to a Level 2 and I feel that it is important to support Tesla so I plug into the Supercharger when we arrive. Unfortunately, not only do I have to pay to use the Supercharger, but after thirty minutes or so, I have to head back out to the parking lot, leave the conveniently close spot where the Superchargers are located so I don’t incur post-charge idle fees (or deny another Tesla owner access) and drive to the remote parking lot that still has empty spaces, then make my way back to the store. To be honest, I have considered simply unplugging when the charge is complete and staying with the car until my wife is done shopping. If a Tesla shows up needing to charge and there are no empty spots (very rare at this location), I would then move to provide them with access. Note: I have NEVER seen one of the LL Bean Superchargers blocked, even when it is flagrant at the adjacent Level 2s. It almost seems that the ICE drivers are intimidated by them!

Exactly.

Fast charger: do something while you charge.
Destination charger: charge while you're doing something.

I understand the root of the policy, but there's a problem of the purpose. They're essentially forcing Tesla owners to waste time. A compromise could be showing a ticket if you're going to the movies.

Reactions: bedoig
So this just happened...

Going to see Captain Marvel (Woot!) at the South Bay center in Boston. There are 4 free Chargeopint chargers on L2 and Urban SC on the top floor. As we were seeing a movie any my battery is lower, went to plug in at the Chargepoint. 3 of them were open, 1 was ICE'd. So as I go to plug in Security drives up and the following dialogue ensues:
Security: "You can't charge here."

Me: "uh?"

Security: "Tere are Tesla chargers upstairs for you"

Me: "I can't use them as I will be there too long and anyways, they are not free like the Chargepoint (they are for me, but at the root they are not for everyone)"

Security: "Doesn't matter you can't park here, you can go upstairs"

Me: "Um that doesn't make any sense"

Security: "Well we are putting up a sign tonight and that is what management told us so you can't be here".

So now I had to park in regular spot and charge tonight after the movie.....

Just a weird situation! And best part is they don't at all care about the ICE there (I didn't think in the moment to point that out to them).
Sounds like management doesn’t want Tesla business. I would confirm with management. And then spread the word to other Tesla owners.

Does this mean you paid $5K for the capability of charging at SC?? So did I. Yes, I agree, people have different situations, and Tesla should absolutely quit trying to sell cars to people who think they can charge at superchargers. Most of us only charge at SCs on trips, maybe twice a year, and you are using it for daily use. That is not the intended use for SCs.

You did say something about wanting the free charging at the L2 chargers, and you are obviously going to the movies while you wait for your car to charge. That's a pain in the rear, but it's amazing to me how many people do it just like that; head on down to the restaurant while the car charges for free, or hit the mall while the car charges for free, blocking travelers (Oh, yes they do) from 5 AM to 10PM. And always it's the same. "My HOA (or apartment or girlfriend) won't allow me to charge...." TESLA should stop trying to sell cars to people who will have a hard time charging. It's not on you, but on them. They told you, I'll bet, that there was free supercharging, etc, etc. Right?? "Oh you don't need to arrange for an outlet. Just use the supercharger...." They RIPPED your cord out of the outlet??? Did you offer to pay for the ability to charge plus the power used?

I paid several hundred dollars to get an outlet in my garage, and I pay every time I use it. If your apartment wants your rent, I think you could discuss this issue with the owner/manager, with the option to move if need be, but it's sure easier to charge while at the movies.

The "new owner" comment was that somehow you thought it was all right to charge at free L2 chargers for daily charging, and you bought a movie pass to allow you to do just that. That's not what long-term owners do. They arrange for an outlet dedicated for charging, not patch things together night after night trying to get along through another day of work.

I'll be interested how your values change when EV owners take your charging spaces and you don't have free charging. I've been an owner for 6 1/2 years. I can't imagine trying to charge at the movies twice a week, much less every night. I put about 25-30K a year on each of my cars.
You have way to much tesla smug cloud. Do you have a soapbox you stand on when you preach like that? Feels like the prius forums back in the day. An ev is an ev. Myself I think tesla should open up the superchargers to everyone so they can earn more return on that infrastructure.