Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ban - Security just kicked me out of an EV spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may or may not be that case is this will differ from city to city, state to state, country to country but...

It is not uncommon to have government incentives and rules around public charges. The charger may have been subsidised with public money and may have rules attached to it as how it can be used.

Absolutely is their choice, I firmly agree. Doesn't mean I have to be happy!

That's also a good point, this was probably built when Boston/MA had a fund for public charging.

Wonder if they'll ban plug-in hybrids charging there too... 'coz by their logic those can go to gas stations.

But they have small batteries. Lower cost.

So to answer your question, no I don't see a problem when I brought most of my retail and a large chunk of dining budget here and explicitly bought the AMC movie pass to not lose time while charging.

How much did the pass cost? What’s the value of the electric your using each month?

Hate to say it, but it’s nice to see them looking out for ALL EVs. Tesla’s upstairs, other guys down here.

That’s actually ... kinda cool, when you think about it.

If you’re really gung-ho for the electric revolution, that’s actually a good thing.

What if its the other way? Other guys upstairs, Tesla down there ?

Would you be cool with that too? I know I would be pissed.

Hate to say it, but it’s nice to see them looking out for ALL EVs. Tesla’s upstairs, other guys down here.

That’s actually ... kinda cool, when you think about it.

If you’re really gung-ho for the electric revolution, that’s actually a good thing.

I can agree with that, if Tesla had slower chargers. This is a large plaza and even to get dinner, Urban SC is too fast. They need ultra Urban SC :)

Reactions: dmurphy
So now I had to park in regular spot and charge tonight after the movie.....

I think I'd figure out how to charge when I'm not driving somewhere. Most cars are in use less than a half hour a day. What most of us see here is that new owners try to get free charging, when it is not free, and everyone else pays good money for gas. Tesla needs to quit trying to sell cars with the line "Oh, you can charge at the supercharger down by the theaters!" No. You can charge at home. And you can charge at home enough that you don't have to use superchargers. Those are for travelers.

Free will always be abused.... Man up and get an outlet in at your place of residence.

I think I'd figure out how to charge when I'm not driving somewhere. Most cars are in use less than a half hour a day. What most of us see here is that new owners try to get free charging, when it is not free, and everyone else pays good money for gas. Tesla needs to quit trying to sell cars with the line "Oh, you can charge at the supercharger down by the theaters!" No. You can charge at home. And you can charge at home enough that you don't have to use superchargers. Those are for travelers.

Free will always be abused.... Man up and get an outlet in at your place of residence.

Nooooooo I didn't want this thread to turn into this! People have different situations.

Tl;Dr: live in apartment building, they refuse to put charging in (quoted 70k price), had 110 in a few spots if lucked out, they ripped my cord out of the outlet. Drive ~1k per week with no work charging either and lifetime Wh/mi is 331.

Also, I paid $5k for my SC, I feel I don't abuse it:) and for the L2 I bought the AMC movie pass. None of those scream me being a new owner or trying to scam free electricity.

Reactions: chjch and preilly44
I can agree with that, if Tesla had slower chargers. This is a large plaza and even to get dinner, Urban SC is too fast. They need ultra Urban SC :)

Maybe you could suggest they install some destination chargers beyond just the urban Superchargers? I’m sure they didn’t think/ don’t know about idle fees. Probably just a little education needed.... my guess is someone complained “I couldn’t charge my leaf because all these Teslas were plugged in - they can use either charger but I can only use this one!”

Which would be a reasonable thing to say were it not for idle fees.

Time to have the conversation. Would be a win for everyone if they could just drop in a destination charger or two.

Reactions: preilly44
Maybe you could suggest they install some destination chargers beyond just the urban Superchargers? I’m sure they didn’t think/ don’t know about idle fees. Probably just a little education needed.... my guess is someone complained “I couldn’t charge my leaf because all these Teslas were plugged in - they can use either charger but I can only use this one!”

Which would be a reasonable thing to say were it not for idle fees.

Time to have the conversation. Would be a win for everyone if they could just drop in a destination charger or two.

That makes good sense! Doubt they will as already have a 10 stall SC and 4 L2, but that would be great! And that's exactly what I think k happened.

To be honest, you can get more kwh in 5 min at an urban SC than in 1-2 hours at the typical L2 charger. If you're going to be at the mall for 2-3 hours, what's an extra 5-10 minutes.

I'll admit to having used L2 chargers a handful of times while shopping, but I'd fully understand if landlords starting banning Tesla's from using them.

I ran in with 100 miles range. The 3.5 hours at the movie would get me to probably a hair over 200. The SC is running at 30-45 keep (it's cold out) and been sitting here for 45 minutes while GF and her sister went back home so she is not the happiest camper :(

We have a similar setup at the LL Bean store here in Maine. LL Bean graciously installed eight solar powered Level 2 systems that are free for patrons to use—right next to the eight Superchargers that were put in at the same time. I would love to plug into one of the Level 2s, (which by the way are frequently ICEd—Bean doesn’t ask customers who ICE spots to move, they are too nice), and spend a leisurely hour or two shopping with my wife. However, I don’t want to deny access to someone who really needs to get to a Level 2 and I feel that it is important to support Tesla so I plug into the Supercharger when we arrive. Unfortunately, not only do I have to pay to use the Supercharger, but after thirty minutes or so, I have to head back out to the parking lot, leave the conveniently close spot where the Superchargers are located so I don’t incur post-charge idle fees (or deny another Tesla owner access) and drive to the remote parking lot that still has empty spaces, then make my way back to the store. To be honest, I have considered simply unplugging when the charge is complete and staying with the car until my wife is done shopping. If a Tesla shows up needing to charge and there are no empty spots (very rare at this location), I would then move to provide them with access. Note: I have NEVER seen one of the LL Bean Superchargers blocked, even when it is flagrant at the adjacent Level 2s. It almost seems that the ICE drivers are intimidated by them!

Understand OP's reason to prefer the slower charger that he can access for free, compared to plugging into a faster Supercharger that will charge him idle fees after he has filled.

Also understand that it is the decision of the property owner to set the policies as far as parking or charging, no matter how entitled you feel you should be. Sometimes in life, not everything goes they way you would like it to go.

Nooooooo I didn't want this thread to turn into this! People have different situations.

Tl;Dr: live in apartment building, they refuse to put charging in (quoted 70k price), had 110 in a few spots if lucked out, they ripped my cord out of the outlet. Drive ~1k per week with no work charging either and lifetime Wh/mi is 331.

Also, I paid $5k for my SC, I feel I don't abuse it:) and for the L2 I bought the AMC movie pass. None of those scream me being a new owner or trying to scam free electricity.

Does this mean you paid $5K for the capability of charging at SC?? So did I. Yes, I agree, people have different situations, and Tesla should absolutely quit trying to sell cars to people who think they can charge at superchargers. Most of us only charge at SCs on trips, maybe twice a year, and you are using it for daily use. That is not the intended use for SCs.

You did say something about wanting the free charging at the L2 chargers, and you are obviously going to the movies while you wait for your car to charge. That's a pain in the rear, but it's amazing to me how many people do it just like that; head on down to the restaurant while the car charges for free, or hit the mall while the car charges for free, blocking travelers (Oh, yes they do) from 5 AM to 10PM. And always it's the same. "My HOA (or apartment or girlfriend) won't allow me to charge...." TESLA should stop trying to sell cars to people who will have a hard time charging. It's not on you, but on them. They told you, I'll bet, that there was free supercharging, etc, etc. Right?? "Oh you don't need to arrange for an outlet. Just use the supercharger...." They RIPPED your cord out of the outlet??? Did you offer to pay for the ability to charge plus the power used?

I paid several hundred dollars to get an outlet in my garage, and I pay every time I use it. If your apartment wants your rent, I think you could discuss this issue with the owner/manager, with the option to move if need be, but it's sure easier to charge while at the movies.

The "new owner" comment was that somehow you thought it was all right to charge at free L2 chargers for daily charging, and you bought a movie pass to allow you to do just that. That's not what long-term owners do. They arrange for an outlet dedicated for charging, not patch things together night after night trying to get along through another day of work.

I'll be interested how your values change when EV owners take your charging spaces and you don't have free charging. I've been an owner for 6 1/2 years. I can't imagine trying to charge at the movies twice a week, much less every night. I put about 25-30K a year on each of my cars.