Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla banned me from purchasing another Tesla after vehicle buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because you have a buyback, doesn't mean you automatically get blacklisted. There are tons of owners out there that did buybacks and just went right back into another Tesla.

Edit: Doesn't mean there isn't more to this story. It sounds like there was some friction there interacting with the lawyer.
Agreed, and I’m not saying every buyback ends this way by a long shot. But this one seems quite obviously a strategic decision on Tesla’s part to make this particular customer go away.

If Tesla chooses to advertise loudly that a car has a certain range, then the car should have that advertised range, at least through the warranty period, or it should be specified that the range is for the new car and then the amount of expected loss should be disclosed. .

The fact that most people recognize the acronym YMMW suggests that it is well known that the mileage or range can vary based on driving style, speed, environment and other factors. Not everyone will get that range unless they drive in a fashion matching the EPA protocol. Too many,of the complaints I read seem to ignore this. Thisis not to suggest that some vehicles do not have an issue, but not every complaint on range is reasonable.

If I had a irate customer that blasted my company on social media, I would refuse to sell to them again. Not worth it.

Seems like they treated you better than they legally had to, and still, after it all, you come back to blast them again.

Elon's goal is to advance the transformation of personal transportation to electric drive. Since you ordered another EV, perhaps his goal has been obtained in your case.

Enjoy your new Porsche. Believe they are going to be fantastic.

Smart Idea.

Although if I was OP and Tesla wouldn't allow me to buy a car UNDER my name I wouldn't stress it and I'd take my money elsewhere. They obviously don't want his business and I wouldn't want to give my money to them.

It's the PRINCIPLE.

With all due respect, it appears that Tesla retaliates against people that post negative things (yet distressingly accurate?) about the firm.

That's sad, if true . . . and really unbecoming too.

Far better to just do a LOT more root cause analysis on problems (yellow screen issues, etc.) and ferret them out early, rather than punish the messengers.

After eight MS's, we too are getting frustrated with far too many quality and service issues, and we are back in Tesla Service Hell (again) with our brand new MS, yet we are fully and completely in line with Tesla's mission. WE JUST WANT TESLA TO BE A BETTER COMPANY.

One very important way to get there is listen to your customers that complain. They are an excellent indicator of where resources and attention are needed, not to punish, but to improve the process and employee knowledge. "Firing" customers that do so is remarkably short-sighted.

Another way for Tesla to "win" would be to compete in this annual event--there's far too much that Elon and Tesla don't know about Quality:

Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award - Wikipedia

Agreed, and I’m not saying every buyback ends this way by a long shot. But this one seems quite obviously a strategic decision on Tesla’s part to make this particular customer go away.
It's actually pretty simple. Any customer who can navigate their way into a buyback is not welcome by a company which has as many issues as Tesla. If that customer starts sharing and educating other customers how to do that, that customer has to go for sure. No different than cult leaders not allowing individuals to join (or expelling them) who show too much independent thought and/or leadership qualities.

Last edited:
If the car had 70-80% capacity left, the car was within spec of the warranty, no? If so, you wanted special treatment outside of your agreement, and apparently were forceful about it and you make your issues public. I would banned you as well.
70% number is Tesla's new warranty, as of Jan 2020, it doesn't (or rather, it shouldn't) apply to older cars. Unfortunately older terms has no number, so strictly speaking (like Tesla likes to interpret their obligations) ANY degradation could be covered.

Reactions: Chaserr and croman
I would tell you the same things that I tell couples who are arguing. Keep your dirty laundry between you and the other person, stay off social media, and don't disparage the other person to your friends - no matter how bitter the dispute - unless you're positive that you don't intend to go back, because you won't be able to.

When 2 parties are in a dispute there are hard feelings that you both have to work through. You both want resolution but also want your position to be heard. When entering into discussions, the first thing you have to remember is that the usual outcome is there will be a compromise, it will take time, it will be frustrating, and neither person will be entirely happy with the resolution. But despite your frustration and the temptation to say things which the other person may take offense to - while you are still in your relationship - don't. Ultimately, you wouldn't like it if Tesla published remarks about you while you're both in arbitration.

What happened to you and Tesla is exactly the same thing I see with couples who are arguing. One gets on social media and broadcasts the dispute, and disparages the other person to make themselves look good. That's called poisoning the well. Why do it? Once you do that, the other person will take offense so even if the two of you work things out, chances are that you can't go back.

As it were, Tesla broke up with you. But, good luck with your Porsche though. If I could afford one, I'd most likely have one in my garage.

...it appears that Tesla retaliates against people that post negative things (yet distressingly accurate?) about the firm.
Perhaps you have a different definition of "retaliate" than the rest of the English-speaking world has agreed upon:

retaliate: to return like for like

@testhrowaway posted on social media, disparaging the company, expressing glee in having caused them pain, took and planned further legal action against the company. Tesla declined to engage further with this customer. In what world is that "retaliation"?

If you have an argument with a friend, and you do the above things to your friend, leading to your friend breaking off his friendship with you, would you say that your friend "retaliated" against you?

It's worth pointing out that @testhrowaway 's very first post on TMC was to start the thread at how to beat Tesla via arbitration, and this constituted the majority of his participation on this site.

Last edited:
After this situation I reached out to a few contacts and found that I am not the only one that Tesla has banned for having arbitration / lemon claims. I can't speak for those other (former) owners but It seems that this is a strategy that Tesla legal employs with at least some regular cadence.

How do you get from "I am not the only one" to "regular cadence"? Do you have any evidence?

By the way, I think buying used cars is a great way to shake out all the bugs, provided you know what all the bugs are and how to check for them while examining a used car before buying it (hint: if the first owner kept it for a very long time and replaced their car with a newer model, then they liked it; if it has been sold a bunch of times, then it will show a lot of owners and have a lot of different kinds of dings and damage, and more litmus tests of quality and condition you do will fail). However, the problem buying used cars is that you don't get to select features and options. (For instance, I have a black car without massage seats.)

It's the PRINCIPLE. With all due respect, it appears that Tesla retaliates against people that post negative things (yet distressingly accurate?) about the firm. That's sad, if true . . . and really unbecoming too. Far better to just do a LOT more root cause analysis on problems (yellow screen issues, etc.) and ferret them out early, rather than punish the messengers.

After eight MS's, we too are getting frustrated with far too many quality and service issues, and we are back in Tesla Service Hell (again) with our brand new MS, yet we are fully and completely in line with Tesla's mission. WE JUST WANT TESLA TO BE A BETTER COMPANY.

One very important way to get there is listen to your customers that complain. They are an excellent indicator of where resources and attention are needed, not to punish, but to improve the process and employee knowledge. "Firing" customers that do so is remarkably short-sighted. Another way for Tesla to "win" would be to compete in this annual event--there's far too much that Elon and Tesla don't know about Quality: Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award - Wikipedia

This is the correct answer... case closed :cool:

He was able to strong arm Tesla in replacing the yellow screen (probably correctly), but then became emboldened and got a buyback for a non-legitimate warranty issue. It seems reasonable to me to ban that kind of customer. What's next? I spilled coffee on my seat and it stained it, I want my money back.
Not only is banning you as a customer going to be effective for Tesla as a business.

Having you as a customer with a competitor is like killing 2 birds with one stone.

Tesla knows how to run a tight ship.
Hah!