TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla battery lifetime doubles!

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by mspohr, May 9, 2017.

1. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

• Informative x 4
  2. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

The question is WHEN these extended-life batteries started appearing in vehicle battery packs.
    We got an X 90D in December 2016, but somehow I doubt we received one of these

3. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

It sounds like they are the 2170 format which are going into Powerwalls

4. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

#4 kingjamez, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    *Or if. That video was recent. Who knows if it's actually made it into production yet. I also suspect that he didn't intend that blurb to be in the non-blacked-out portion of the video.

Also note.. that he's making the assumption that battery life doubled by measuring the columic-efficiency and extrapolating double life. This means that they moved the CE from current gen batteries 1/2 the distance to 1.00000. He admits that they don't know for certain that the battery life will be doubled, only that it's his best guess.

-Jim

• Informative x 2
  5. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

The article today has a note in it labeled "Update" that says he clarified during the talk that the new batteries are not in any Tesla product at this time.

• Informative x 2
  6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The article I read is that this is only applicable to the NMC chemistry Tesla is using on Powerwalls. This is not on the NCA chemistry that the cars use, although they are also working on improvements on that.

7. Bobfitz1

Bobfitz1 Member

I watched a good portion of his talk that was pulled off. The advanced diagnostic equipment his group developed was designed to evaluate adjustments to cell chemistry and be very confident of the degree of improvement without testing for 20 or 30 years.
    I think Dahl was speaking as scientists often due when "admitting" they don't know something for certain. That doesn't mean they aren't 99.99% sure it will double lifetime. It's likely the small bit of uncertainty is around whether lifetime is doubled or more, or only very close to doubled. Such a difference is too small to change analysis of the impact/benefit of this chemistry advance. Nor does it change the larger insight that being partnered up with Dahl and team is a near guarantee that the performance of Tesla batteries will continue to pull away from that of competitors over the next four years.

8. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

Wow, it got taken down, glad I watched it first! Hope Dahl didn't get in too much hot water for letting that little tid-bit slip. If he doubled CE, he's earned some grace I think.

Did you notice how uncomfortable Dahl looked during that presentation though? It was really odd. Hard to put a finger on what was bothering him, but he seemed distressed / uneasy and not the kind you'd expect from public speaking.

Yes, I also think that Dahl knows that real-world battery testing is also the only way to truly know how a battery will perform. Until 20 years comes, they won't know if some other factor pops up as dominating the deterioration curve. This has happened before with Lithium cells, where they whip one problem an another pops up unexpectedly.

Also agree that there is no doubt that if Dahl got the CE half way to perfect in the new chemistry, then there is no doubt that the battery is better... much better.

Dahl's methods for cell life prediction are the state of the art right now. Let's hope he's right.

-Jim

• Like x 1
  9. jmanning

jmanning Member

If they are even CLOSE to doubling life of the battery we should all be quite happy !!!
    Less resources used, more life out of our cars and powerwalls, and we do realize that sometime in the future other technology will come out to make improvement on those batteries in some form or fashion with all the research dedicated to it.......

10. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

Yep, the silly argument that many use about the resources required to make batteries negates the resources the batteries saves basically goes out the window when you double cell life.

Battery technology is rapidly advancing. There is no doubt in my mind that we are on the downhill of a total disruption of the energy / transportation market.

-Jim

• Like x 1
  11. arnis

arnis Member

Well, no, it is not. 5-10% is not rapid. Though steady.

• Disagree x 1
  12. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

I would have said the same 6 months ago. However it's been fairly exciting from the "probably not smoke and mirrors" subset of the new battery breakthroughs coming out lately. I'm a firm believer that we're about to see some major improvements (whether it be battery life or energy density) in real ready-to-buy batteries within the next year or so.

-Jim

• Disagree x 1