Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Battery Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We own 2 Teslas, but I heard about the recent Tesla price drop and was just curious about the cost of building one now so I went to the website. In going thru the build screens I came across a section on the warranties on a new Model S. I see the battery warranty seems to have changed from 8 years unlimited miles in the past to 8 years or 150k, which ever comes first.

Does anybody know when that happened/took effect?

Tesla's warranty is useless. They will use every reason to wiggle out of it. While warranting against loss in excess of 30%, what is the baseline according to which Tesla quantifies this loss? Ask those in the #batterygate thread what Tesla says. Tesla measures loss as compared to the rest of the fleet. Not as compared to brand new. HUGE distinction. Tesla also does not warranty range/capacity loss due to software updates, or in other words, Tesla can purposely lock you out of usable capacity and performance on a whim. Tesla took away 10% or more battery capacity from thousands of older cars, presumably to keep them from catching fire, and to avoid warranty replacements. Search #batterygate.

• Disagree
Reactions: sorka and Rocky_H
Tesla's warranty is useless. They will use every reason to wiggle out of it. While warranting against loss in excess of 30%, what is the baseline according to which Tesla quantifies this loss? Ask those in the #batterygate thread what Tesla says. Tesla measures loss as compared to the rest of the fleet. Not as compared to brand new. HUGE distinction. Tesla also does not warranty range/capacity loss due to software updates, or in other words, Tesla can purposely lock you out of usable capacity and performance on a whim. Tesla took away 10% or more battery capacity from thousands of older cars, presumably to keep them from catching fire, and to avoid warranty replacements. Search #batterygate.

This is a hot mess of a post conflating like 3 different topics.

The update warranty language is clear - 30% loss of capacity over the warranty period. Not measured relative to any "fleet capacity" or any other confusing sorcery you're eluding to above.

"batterygate" cars, all of which were produced before the current warranty language, have NO warranty for degradation at all.

But yes, let's please keep posting irrelevant hash tags and muffing up every thread on this site with useless whining about a completely separate issue. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
What is the standard by which that degradation is measured, then? Please provide facts rather than conjecture gleaned from your fanboy nether regions.
There are no specifics, the warranty says 30% degradation. But is there actually any example of a battery with more than 30% degradation during the 8 years warranty ? One Tesla technician told me that either the battery keeps it's charge with minimal degradation (actually most batteries performs way better than they anticipated) or they simply failed before and are replaced under warranty. I don't think anybody should be worried about that 30% degradation under warranty.

Reactions: ChadS