Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "quality problems" at this point are largely based on 'surveys of people too old to figure out how to cancel their consumer reports subscription" not "actual mechanical problems with the car"

If you look at actual real world warranty claims rates Tesla has the lowest rate (as a % of total sales) of any car maker selling in the west... slightly better than Toyota, and MUCH better than most other legacy selling EVs.

I had a mobile tech tell me that the eventual failure rate for the door handles on the Model S is 100%. He said I was lucky to make it 7 years without a failure.

The Buick I drove for 24 years before getting my Model S never had any latches on the car fail until the last year I had it. The automatic trunk release failed (the trunk latch itself was fine). I had to replace a number of parts that are ICE only: catalytic converter, alternator, and water pump as well as belts and hoses, but everything else was very reliable.

I've read stories of some people here who have had a lot of problems with their Teslas. Most of the bad problems the early Models Ss had have been fixed. Nobody talks about milling noises anymore and there is no longer a sunroof to leak. I've been lucky with my car. The trunk latch failed and the 12V battery died early, there were some paint problems on delivery but generally I've been lucky.

Before selling my Buick I did do a fit and finish comparison between the two cars. The panel gaps on the Tesla were wider and there were some odd fits like the windshield sticking out from the frame a bit whereas it was flush on the Buick.

Sandy Munro had a lot of both good and bad to say about Tesla. He thought the engineering was way beyond the rest of the car industry in many areas. The quality of the circuit boards was avionic grade and Tesla did many things that nobody in the rest of the car industry had ever thought of. But he was critical of Tesla's fit and finish. What he called dinosaur tech, metal bending. He said there Tesla was about on par with a mid-90s Kia.

He did take apart a Chinese made Tesla and found the fit and finish was better. The problems seem to be with the Fremont plant. There are lawsuits about racism there and the impacts on morale from those things might be affecting quality. The fact that Elon wouldn't see that wouldn't surprise me. He is oblivious to those sorts of soft skill type things.

Give workers the same tools and the same product to make, and in one make the work atmosphere a good one, and in the other make it toxic and compare the products coming off the line. The happy workplace will usually make a better product.

Paul O'Neil was GE Bush's first Treasury Secretary, but he had been in corporate management before that. He was credited with turning Alcoa around. I read his memoir years ago and it struck me how he operated. He said when he dealt with other corporate leaders he would watch how they dealt with their assistants. If they treated them with respect, the company was always well run and he always had an easy time working with them. If they treated their assistants like chattel, the company was always poorly run and he had a difficult time working with them.

The paint chips on my 22 Model 3 rockers with only 6K miles have nothing to do with my age. Nor did the misaligned steering wheel and trunk lid upon delivery.
Agree that these are quality issues. Soft paint and trunk lid alignment are problems but not mechanical. Don't know if the steering wheel alignment counts as mechanical, as long as the wheels themselves aligned properly. It might be a nuisance or might rise to a significant level.

I had all of the above myself except my '22 Y came with PPF and front mud flaps, which apparently work because rocker chips aren't a problem even though I live on a long, washboarded gravel road.

I would bet that these are the sorts of things a Toyota/Ford/BMW dealer fixes all the time on cars from the factory, so we don't see them when we buy the car. I don't know, but I suspect that.

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
I would bet that these are the sorts of things a Toyota/Ford/BMW dealer fixes all the time on cars from the factory, so we don't see them when we buy the car. I don't know, but I suspect that.
That is correct, and they bill the OEM for fixing that stuff, which counts against their warranty reserves. What that means is that Tesla should do better pre-delivery inspections, but from what I have seen they are doing better overall.

Reactions: DrGriz
Literally every brand of car out there, go to their respective forums, and you'll find pages of threads about how "thin" the paint is and how easily it chips.
I've never owned a vehicle that chipped this easily, even when run on dirt roads and having 100K miles. It appears that there is poor adhesion between the primer and the top coat since the primer doesn't chip, (luckily), just the color flakes off, (a small chip became larger when washing the car). Maybe all modern paints are worse now since this is 11 years newer than my previous newest vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I'll say it again. I think Consumer Reports does a terrible disservice by lumping things like paint swirls and panel alignments with things that leave you stranded like engine and transmission failures. There should be a sharp demarcation when it comes to quality rating. Consumer satisfaction ratings for Teslas are always very high, which reveals the high level of nuisance proportion in the reliability ratings. For instance:

1688567379706.png

I've never owned a vehicle that chipped this easily, even when run on dirt roads and having 100K miles. It appears that there is poor adhesion between the primer and the top coat since the primer doesn't chip, (luckily), just the color flakes off, (a small chip became larger when washing the car). Maybe all modern paints are worse now since this is 11 years newer than my previous newest vehicle.
I have read that this may have something to do with California environmental requirements for paint and maybe VOCs. I wonder also if the Fremont cobbled together factory has something to do with this. Perhaps Austin paint will be better.

Tesla goes for a very sparse interior that has downsides. The early Model S was terrible for cabin stowage and got better with the center console becoming standard, but the lack of door pockets is annoying. Also the concentration of some many controls onto screens can be annoying. Having a physical control that never moves is an advantage when you are driving and don't want to take your eyes off the road.

As other EVs come along in large enough volumes and at decent price points, Tesla's advantages are going to fade.

Tesla is still going to be a major player, but the quality problems could hurt them down the road if they don't deal with them and the sparse interior is not going to appeal to all customers. My 2016 has more controls than the new 2021 refresh and I still find myself wishing for physical controls for some things like the HVAC controls.

Agree with more physical controls for often used and safety important functions. Further improvements in voice commands are also needed.
I live in southern Vermont and there are places along my frequently used routes where there is no cell service. Voice commands don't work when the car is driving through these. Turns out the task of figuring out what the driver is commanding is farmed out to the mothership rather than one of the vehicle's processors! Seems like an odd design choice when many physical controls have been removed.

Reactions: navguy12 and DrGriz
Agree with more physical controls for often used and safety important functions. Further improvements in voice commands are also needed.
I live in southern Vermont and there are places along my frequently used routes where there is no cell service. Voice commands don't work when the car is driving through these. Turns out the task of figuring out what the driver is commanding is farmed out to the mothership rather than one of the vehicle's processors! Seems like an odd design choice when many physical controls have been removed.
Headlights! Sometimes you need them because suddenly you are in fog or a snowstorm. You don't want to take your eyes off the road to fiddle with the touchscreen, and voice controls don't work for headlights whether there's a cell signal or not.

As I say- this has been true of every brand... and for a long time now.

Just with 30 seconds on google and has threads going back between 5 and almost 20 years on various brands having thin paint that easily chips.

Lexus thread about how terribly thin the paint is an how it chips easily:

Porsche thread about how thin the paint is and how easily it chips:

BMW thread about how thin the paint is and how easily it chips:

Mercedes thread about how thin the paint is and how easily it chips:

Audi thread about how thin the paint is and how easily it chips:

Hyundai thread about how thin the paint is and how easily it chips:

Reactions: CorneliusXX
As I say- this has been true of every brand... and for a long time now.
I'm sure vehicles have had paint chip since the very first one came off the line. I'm just saying I've never seen it happen so quickly and dramatically with any other vehicle I've owned or been in close contact with, especially the flaking during washing.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman and navguy12
Headlights! Sometimes you need them because suddenly you are in fog or a snowstorm. You don't want to take your eyes off the road to fiddle with the touchscreen, and voice controls don't work for headlights whether there's a cell signal or not.

Great point. Speaking of fog, Tesla's used to be able to identify if there was an animal in the road ahead when driving through thick fog.

I'd guess that was based on a camera sensitive to IR. It would be a safety plus to have that again. Maybe one of the new 4K forward facing cameras
could include one with sensitivity into the IR frequencies.

• Informative
Agree that these are quality issues. Soft paint and trunk lid alignment are problems but not mechanical. Don't know if the steering wheel alignment counts as mechanical, as long as the wheels themselves aligned properly. It might be a nuisance or might rise to a significant level.

I had all of the above myself except my '22 Y came with PPF and front mud flaps, which apparently work because rocker chips aren't a problem even though I live on a long, washboarded gravel road.

I know when I took delivery of my TM3 in June 2018 that the steering wheel was pointed at 1130 versus 12 o’clock.

Taking it into a SC about a month later, they (using a software fix, don’t ask me how) centered the steering wheel at 12 o’clock.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and JRP3
I'd like to have the headlamp icon always visible (greyed out) so that if one needs to turn them on ASAP, a tap of that icon turns the icon green (headlamps on).

I'll say it again. I think Consumer Reports does a terrible disservice by lumping things like paint swirls and panel alignments with things that leave you stranded like engine and transmission failures. There should be a sharp demarcation when it comes to quality rating. Consumer satisfaction ratings for Teslas are always very high, which reveals the high level of nuisance proportion in the reliability ratings. For instance:

View attachment 953401

I did take issue with the way things like Consumer Reports classified some major repairs. Back when Tesla was having problems with the motors, I recall seeing something where someone at CR was liking Tesla replacing those motors with the equivalent of replacing the entire engine on a new ICE, which would be a major repair.

But it's also an apple to oranges comparison. The engine on an ICE is the most expensive component of the car and it's extremely expensive to remove. A dealer is going to do everything they can to keep the engine in the car and fix it in place if there is a problem. Removing the electric motor on a Tesla is no more difficult than removing an alternator and probably easier than an alternator on a lot of ICE.

At the time Tesla was trying to figure out why the motors were having problems so they wanted to take them apart and analyze them. The motors were not all that expensive compared to an ICE motor and relatively easy to replace, so they did. It a new ICE had a problem with alternators or a fan mechanism, they would replace the entire mechanism too because the part is not that expensive and it's relatively easy to replace.

At this point Tesla has gotten the drive train quality improved to a point where problems in the drive train in the first few years is very rare. But there are still panel gap and alignment issues and everyone complains about paint, so that sounds like it's an industry wide problem.

There is a Southern California mindset to a lot of Tesla's design decisions. All car makers have design groups in Southern California because of the car culture there and it's close to the Pasadena Art School of Design which has the reputation for turning out the best car designers in the world (my father went there before it got famous, his degree was in photography). But all the legacy car companies are based somewhere else. The Big 3 based in Detroit and the European makers based in countries that have real winters give a lot more thought to the problems of winter driving than Tesla did. I have found that my Model S's handling in snow in ice is outstanding, but I think that's more an accident coming out of the design than a design goal.

In other ways they are not great in the winter. Where I live there are a lot of hills and cell coverage is spotty. AT&T coverage is particularly bad here. I think it was last winter Tesla moved all the HVAC controls after an update. As I was leaving home one day shortly after the update the windows started fogging up and I almost drove off the road trying to find the defroster button on the touch screen. I had no cell service there so voice commands wouldn't have helped.

My dentist is on his third Model S. He had the original, the 2016 refresh, and now the second refresh. He said the yoke is annoying, but did say that the new landscape oriented screen is easier to access the controls. On the portrait oriented screen you really have to look down there to see the HVAC controls. So it has improved, but physical controls would be an improvement for some things you need for safety.

On the refresh MS/MX, the horn is a capacitative touch button on the yoke. Worst design ever, followed closely by the elimination of all stalks. Not exactly a quality issue, but still frustrating compared with other vehicles.

For the first ~8 years after the Model S was introduced, Tesla was the only viable option if you wanted an electric for anything more than commuting to work. most other electrics looked weird and had poor range. Long distance driving was a painful experience because of the lack of good charging stations.

Now that is all changing. There are good looking EVs available with decent ranges and access to DC charging stations is improving. As manufacturers start to adopt Tesla's standard plug and can use superchargers, that starts to move the buying decision to the creature comforts inside the car. The spartan interior common to Teslas is going to turn off a number of buyers who want more physical controls.

Great point. Speaking of fog, Tesla's used to be able to identify if there was an animal in the road ahead when driving through thick fog.

I'd guess that was based on a camera sensitive to IR. It would be a safety plus to have that again. Maybe one of the new 4K forward facing cameras
could include one with sensitivity into the IR frequencies.

That was probably due to the radar. Tesla has quit using it and I think it's now disabled in the cars that have the equipment (may still be active in AP1 cars because they have fewer visual sensors).

Great update by Stellantis, new battery platform for small, med and large vehicles and trucks
ranges 300-500 miles

great to see finally Stellantis is getting serious
We now have GM, Ford, and Stellantis following Tesla
Tesla's amazing leadership is finally waking up the industry
that is all Elon wanted, dont think he ever intended to have Tesla supply the world with EVs
Toyota is still lagging with a fantasy of solid state batteries, good to hear, but that reality is years away