Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog yesterday repeats 215 mile range estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on how one looks at it. A Model 3 will be better in many ways than a Model S sold a year ago.

I tend to agree. It will have the newer 2170 cells and pack, newly designed, more efficient drive unit/inverter, should have an upgraded MCU/Infotainment processor/hardware platform, etc. But these items are not really "consumer facing technologies, but rather under the "hood" improvements.

I'm just wondering what is NOT going to be available on the 3 that is available on the S. I don't care one bit about a lack of the IC display, but more of the actual "features".

The Model S option packages are pretty lame (premium, air suspension, UHFS, subzero, rear seats, high amp charging). All of them except for the rear jump seats have a high chance of being offered in the Model 3, We know EAP/FSD will be offered, so what is going to be less featured in the 3?

I guess things that are standard may will become options or simply not offered initially on the 3, front heated seats (without the subzero package), folding mirrors, packing sensors?, LED lights? powered memory seats?, ventilated seats?

In any case, many of these features are not even present in my early Model S, so to say the Model 3 will have less features only holds true for current post AP2 Model S's.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
Fair points @shokunin.

I think realistically losing things like auto-extending handles was well expected. As was that many more convenience things would be moved into options.

You listed many potential ones. One such more is the trunk. Many sedans only have manual trunks and offer auto-open (no close) perhaps as an option. That is one more potential area of price differentation and something normal for the class.

Many of those features found in cars in the 35-50k price range should be offered in the Model 3. There are things such as the door handles as mentioned, the rear facing seats, the 80, 85, 90, 100 kWh battery options, Model S sized cargo space, etc not being available on the Model 3. I even think they might drop EAP eventually.

Overall though, I don't think they are features many of us will miss. I mean the door handles on the Model S alone are hundreds of dollars a piece. Lower cost items and economies of scale are going to help tremendously. I really don't think it's that difficult to come up with a way to shave off $35k especially when you are nearly halving your battery costs per kWh.

Reactions: Model 3
Many of those features found in cars in the 35-50k price range should be offered in the Model 3. There are things such as the door handles as mentioned, the rear facing seats, the 80, 85, 90, 100 kWh battery options, Model S sized cargo space, etc not being available on the Model 3. I even think they might drop EAP eventually.

Overall though, I don't think they are features many of us will miss. I mean the door handles on the Model S alone are hundreds of dollars a piece. Lower cost items and economies of scale are going to help tremendously. I really don't think it's that difficult to come up with a way to shave off $35k especially when you are nearly halving your battery costs per kWh.

I agree overall.

What I am concerned is that Tesla will be slow or unwilling to offer some or even many features found in cars in the 35-50k price range. I am not concerned with the fact that Model 3 will be "lesser" car in some ways, as some of that is of course perfectly normal. I am concerned about the options that are normal for the price...

I wish it were a hatchback (similar to Model S), though. That is hard to look past, it is such a big convenience thing, and has nothing to do with price-point...

Last edited:
Elon Musk also said in a tweet Model 3 would have spaceship controls and the 8.1 software update for S/X would appear in December 2016 with the new kernel and the new browser. ;)

That said, 240 miles+ is of course plausible.
- spaceship controls is a subjective opinion, stated 18 months from release & still to be substantiated
- software update is a simple guess & a minor issue
- 240+ miles is a major statement, can be objectively verified & the statement is being made within a few months of reveal. You can't really make such a 'mistake' - I would label it a lie

- spaceship controls is a subjective opinion, stated 18 months from release & still to be substantiated
- 240+ miles is a major statement, can be objectively verified & the statement is being made within a few months of reveal. You can't really make such a 'mistake' - I would label it a lie

I can't agree with that. All three:

- Model 3 spaceship controls
- S/X 8.1 with new kernel and browser in Dec 2016 (he said in week's time...)
- Model 3 240+ miles

are similarly subject to changes, possibly outside of Elon's immediate control or influenced by events that would lead him to change them. All of them also could be cases of "he should have known better but still wanted to make things look as good as possible", which, in turn, borders on a lie. Elon probably should have known better than to say 8.1 was coming in December. And it is quite possible his comment on spaceship controls referred to some technology that later was decided is not shipping with Model 3 (or at lest not unveiled yet), maybe it referred to a HUD that is delayed by a year, or something, that he should have known better not to mention, but mentioned it anyway for the hype.

In any one of these three cases Elon could simply have given facts or wishes of the day, that later changed for whatever reasons. Meaning it is possible, trusting any of these tweets would have been a fools errand.

That said, I do believe Model 3 240+ miles is coming in one form or another. But I don't believe that just because Elon tweeted it. That would be stupid of me.

Last edited:
I guess one part that is still debated is, whether that will be for all battery options or - say - just for a larger battery of two different sizes.
It would be rather odd to claim be going head to head with the Bolt, but the reality is it isn't without spending several thousand dollars more
Then Elon might as well say "who cares if the Bolt is 238 miles, the Model S 100D is 335!"

The world needs an electric horse, but I fear customers want an electric cow.

"Add horns to it for style"
"Give it something for kids (milk)"
"More cowbells are always cool"
"Too many front teeth, it could bite"
"Single hooves have low traction, make them dual"
"4 stomachs will have better range"

I'd rather ride a horse.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
His spaceship controls comment was made before the full autonomy reveal. I'm pretty sure he was coyly referencing FSD as the real steering system.

EPA range is normally displayed as L/100km

Don't be ridiculous. EPA is an American department, so they don't use metric.

Range is obviously displayed with a length unit (in this case, miles).

EPA mileage is given in MPG (miles per (US) gallon) for ICE cars and MPGe (Miles per (US) Gallon equivalent) for EVs. Those are obviously directly comparable.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. please add your comments outside of the quote markup.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
It would be rather odd to claim be going head to head with the Bolt, but the reality is it isn't without spending several thousand dollars more
Then Elon might as well say "who cares if the Bolt is 238 miles, the Model S 100D is 335!"

No, in the twitter you quoted he was asked whether the Model 3 would offer more range than the Bolt. I very much took his reply to mean that they would offer more range than the Bolt, but not necessarily in the base model.

Reactions: Sonny Daze
The Model S option packages are pretty lame (premium, air suspension, UHFS, subzero, rear seats, high amp charging). All of them except for the rear jump seats have a high chance of being offered in the Model 3, We know EAP/FSD will be offered, so what is going to be less featured in the 3?
I don't anticipate air suspension or high amp charger being options.