Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Branded Music Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This announcement is really aggravating. There are a number of issues with the infotainment features in the car that should be fixed first. Perhaps they should improve phone integration first and get the nav system working better and allow multiple waypoints and basic stuff like that before they move on to other things. Instead they are focusing on another shiny object off to the side. It leaves me with the feeling that they aren't listening to customers.

I did notice that the songs now do not start at the beginning each time the car is stopped/started, but save their current position, got that "feature" back finally. I dont know why if spotify is available in other countries, just light up the interface, I will enter my own credentials.

I did notice that the songs now do not start at the beginning each time the car is stopped/started, but save their current position, got that "feature" back finally. I dont know why if spotify is available in other countries, just light up the interface, I will enter my own credentials.

Prolly are cheap and don't want to pay for the data. Would be solved if they would implement Carplay and Android auto like all the competition does.

Would rather have built in Spotify app, like in Europe.

caerful what you wish for!

Spotify SQ is so bad it's not worth using (I assume it is set to some miserable bitrate - thanks Tesla).

I that automotive is not a good audio environment so not talking hifi snobbery but when streaming via Bluetooth from a phone sounds infintely better than Spotify through the not exactly stellar UHFS you get my meaning.

Tesla likely is paying a fee to provide a music streaming service in the car, and having their own would avoid paying those fees.

But with the relatively small number of cars on the road (compared to the subscriber base for the music services), can Tesla really save enough $$$ to justify developing their own music service?

And, let's think longer term - assuming Tesla is correct on FSD - and they are able to activate it in the next several years, would Tesla then try to develop their own video streaming service, to entertain the passengers while the car is driving itself?

I suspect most owners would prefer Tesla provide them access to the same services they use on their smartphones, tablets and other devices (streaming TVs, laptops, desktops, media players, ...), and rather than continuing to grow their own, instead shift towards increased compatibility with what's already out there.

Tesla originally planned to have a 3rd party App Store. Then Musk talked about doing screen mirroring (though we haven't heard any indication Tesla ever plans to support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto). That seems like a better direction than implementing their own services.

We use multiple apps today on our smartphones - such as Audible and Spotify, and I suspect we aren't alone. Most Tesla owners would probably prefer Tesla come up with a solution for providing access to more 3rd party services, than investing in their own.

My jaw dropped when I heard. Can they first fix all of the issues we here on the boards keep identifying OVER and OVER? Open the car up to 3rd part apps too. Elon can re-land a rocket on a postage size barge in the middle of an ocean but not get the current audio/entertainment system to be reasonable, bug free, and a joy to use. Why did my last 2 BMW's recognize my iPhone and allow me to control from the CAR? Head banging myself silly. :(:mad::oops::rolleyes:

... can Tesla really save enough $$$ to justify developing their own music service?
Does it matter when the board is being rewarded for gross margin performance not profit?

The one last milestone is 30% gross margins.

(Development of music service wouldn't add to marginal costs, but the shaving off the licence from the vehicle cost would).

The cheaping out on the NVidia system is another example. Sure they might have to upgrade it FOC down the line to meet promised FSD ability, but for now it's more marginal cost saved. Even silly things like not having rain or light sensors.

At least to me there seems to be a chunk of decisions being made favouring gross margins, which are counterproductive to Tesla's longer term prosperity.

Tesla's Music Service software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2017, subject to regulatory approval.

...the final 1/4 of each song will eventually play. Stay tuned to Twitter for more information....

Ah well that's the thing. Music is just the first step, a replacement for Twitter is next. Elon can directly send just us Tesla owners information. The best part is it will leverage the bigger screen size of the touchscreen and we will get these missives 180 characters at a time ;)

Reactions: 182RG