Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla buying money guilt :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1642387617461.png

;)

AutomaticMan....Pay off debts first.but I am old school. Worked for me, but I did not get a new car until I was 40. No mortgage, best feeling in the world. Car later.
I am similarly old school. M3 was my first ever new car and I am 50.
Never seemed a good reason to buy new before. My mileage was high and the depreciation curve on new cars was so steep traditionally it just never made sense. A couple of years old low mileage diesel always seemed to make more sense. Company car tax breaks on EV's was what did it for me. I would never have done it otherwise. Which was the whole point of them I guess.

I am similarly old school. M3 was my first ever new car and I am 50.
Never seemed a good reason to buy new before. My mileage was high and the depreciation curve on new cars was so steep traditionally it just never made sense. A couple of years old low mileage diesel always seemed to make more sense. Company car tax breaks on EV's was what did it for me. I would never have done it otherwise. Which was the whole point of them I guess.
+1.
M3 was my first ever new car at 50. (This site does skew old, doesnt it?)
Self employed (not limited company).
100% written down allowance in the first year made this an irresistible move for a car I was interested in and liked.
Problem is that the depreciation curve is so flat I'm going to be stuck with it for a decade or I'm going to have to pay back most of the allowance...

+1.
M3 was my first ever new car at 50. (This site does skew old, doesnt it?)
Self employed (not limited company).
100% written down allowance in the first year made this an irresistible move for a car I was interested in and liked.
Problem is that the depreciation curve is so flat I'm going to be stuck with it for a decade or I'm going to have to pay back most of the allowance...

If you hang out over in the investors section, you'll feel young at 50! ;)

I'm in my 30s and feel practically unborn over there. It's great anti-aging.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Casss and candida
How many of you in the 'no new cars until 50' camp raised kids though? One of my friends had a brand new high spec Golf (not quite Tesla M3 money, but a nice car for someone in her early 30s... and of course, she had to fill it with petrol too unlike a Tesla) that she has recently sold and replaced with an older, basic spec car because she has had kids since buying the Golf and found that her financial priorities have changed.

I do get the 'pay off the mortgage first' argument, because that was the thought that led me to start the thread. But I also think that most people my age are still paying off mortgages if they're even on the housing ladder at all. I think even taking the Tesla out of the equation, at my current rate of savings I should be able to pay off my mortgage in 5 to 6 years. If I had no car at all (not actually realistic) I could pay it off in 1 or 2 years probably. If I had kept my ID.3 but still sold my motorbike I guess maybe I could pay it off in 4 to 5 years.

How many of you in the 'no new cars until 50' camp raised kids though? One of my friends had a brand new high spec Golf (not quite Tesla M3 money, but a nice car for someone in her early 30s... and of course, she had to fill it with petrol too unlike a Tesla) that she has recently sold and replaced with an older, basic spec car because she has had kids since buying the Golf and found that her financial priorities have changed.

I do get the 'pay off the mortgage first' argument, because that was the thought that led me to start the thread. But I also think that most people my age are still paying off mortgages if they're even on the housing ladder at all. I think even taking the Tesla out of the equation, at my current rate of savings I should be able to pay off my mortgage in 5 to 6 years. If I had no car at all (not actually realistic) I could pay it off in 1 or 2 years probably. If I had kept my ID.3 but still sold my motorbike I guess maybe I could pay it off in 4 to 5 years.
Yeah... I had an NSX before I had kids.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
As this seems to be devolving quite nicely into a general financial planning slinging match, 😁🤐🤗 I just want to throw one thing into the ring…

For those folks on this forum who are in a blessed position with their mortgage, it’s great to see what hard work can do. But we need to remember that house price vs standard earnings were a completely different kettle of fish 20-30 years ago (or even 15!).

There are many people in this country with a full time job, for whom finishing their mortgage and resting on a cushy pension at 55 are simply pipe dreams. I can’t find it in myself to think those people shouldn’t have a nice car if it makes them happy as long as it’s not going to put them or their kids on the street.

As this seems to be devolving quite nicely into a general financial planning slinging match, 😁🤐🤗 I just want to throw one thing into the ring…

For those folks on this forum who are in a blessed position with their mortgage, it’s great to see what hard work can do. But we need to remember that house price vs standard earnings were a completely different kettle of fish 20-30 years ago (or even 15!).

There are many people in this country with a full time job, for whom finishing their mortgage and resting on a cushy pension at 55 are simply pipe dreams. I can’t find it in myself to tell those people they shouldn’t have a nice car if it makes them happy as long as it’s not going to put them or their kids on the street.
Absolutely, I have plenty of friends around my age who haven't managed to save up the deposit to buy their first house and even get a mortgage, let alone pay it off.

I think it's fair for me to get both sides though on this thread. I think people can see from the info I've posted that if I lived really really frugally for a few years I could be mortgage free... or if I buy the Tesla it'll take me twice or three times as long to be mortgage free. So I think "mortgage now, Tesla later" is a fair reply. It's just not the approach I've decided to go with for now :)

I think that's partly because unless interest rates do sky rocket, I wouldn't actually pay off my mortgage anyway. I would just have enough in my investments that I could cash them out and pay off my mortgage. In reality, I would just keep the money invested so nothing would actually change for me on a day-to-day basis by being in that position anyway, other than more of a general sense of security I suppose.

But, I still have that sense of security anyway really. I mean, I could sell the Tesla at any point if I needed to quickly pay off my mortgage for some reason. It wouldn't be quite as easy (money invested in a Tesla will depreciate, money invested in stocks & shares over the long term will probably not), but still within reach.

Reactions: candida

There are many people in this country with a full time job, for whom finishing their mortgage and resting on a cushy pension at 55 are simply pipe dreams. I can’t find it in myself to think those people shouldn’t have a nice car if it makes them happy as long as it’s not going to put them or their kids on the street.
Many a true word. My parents were horrified by our £10.5K mortgage in the 70’s and again when we moved on to a £30K one in the 80’s
When we bought a shop in 1988 for £120K they didn’t bat an eyelid. They had just sold their £5K house for £250K
prices are now eye watering and I feel for anyone starting on the housing ladder. I know wages have risen but the differential has widened dramatically.

Just wondering how many of you out there are buying Teslas on normal incomes and do you feel guilty about it? I keep going back and forth between excitement at getting a Model 3 LR, and guilt/worry about it being a stupid financial decision.

My personal situation is that I'm a higher rate taxpayer, but only just. I am in my late-30s, have no kids (nor want any), am dating but not cohabiting. I don't have any debt except my mortgage, which is about 75% LTV on a 2-bed property in a reasonably priced area (so, not London!). I currently have a VW ID.3 that I just sold for £33k, and a motorbike that is worth between £15-18k that I'm intending to sell this summer as I've fallen out of love with motorcycling a bit. The money I'm getting for the car and bike will essentially pay for the Tesla, and my excuse for getting the Tesla is that it will combine the 'fun vehicle' factor of my motorbike with the day-to-day practical car factor of my ID.3 into one vehicle. I have about £50k in investments in an ISA, £5k emergency cash fund, and I'm saving/investing about 20% of my salary each month. I also pay into my workplace pension.

So part of me thinks, I can afford this. It will make me happy, life is short, why shouldn't I buy it?

But another part of me feels sick at the idea of blowing £50k on a car. I drive around my neighbourhood, which isn't an affluent area, and see very few new cars, let alone new cars as expensive as a Tesla and think, am I mad? I could take the £50k, add it to the £50k I have in investments, and pay off my mortgage in a few years probably. I have to admit, I couldn't sleep last night with all the worry going around my head that I'm being far too extravagant for my means in getting this car. Was wondering how everyone else justifies it? Or maybe you're all like "meh, I earn £200k per year working in the City... £50k is nothing to me", or "it's a company car, I'd never get it as a private buyer"...?

I also know that an obvious partial solution is to get the RWD version instead of the LR. But I'll still feel guilty about buying a £43k car too... 😆 Also, the performance of the dual motor forms part of my justification for buying the car (the motorcycle replacement bit), and I'm a real audio snob and missing out on the premium audio system would be something I'd regret every single day.
For me the big driver was the environment. Global Warming is real and will be a huge burden on future generations. I want to be able to say I am sorry and I did all I knew how to do. We managed to cut our carbon footprint by 85% with Tesla being a large part of that. No other car allows me to take easy long trips like a Tesla and is still low carbon. Emissions are half that of the best in class Prius. Amazon.com