Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cam viewer bug fixes/feature suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Denver
Love that Tesla has finally released an in car solution to viewing dash cam videos. I noticed a few bugs when playing around with it and thought of a couple possible improvements.

Bugs
  • When you get to about 1min from the end of each ~10min clip, it will boot you back to the 2 or 3min mark of the video
  • Had a couple of frozen screens that needed a soft reboot to resolve. I believe this happened when I tried to delete ~3+ videos consecutively
Features
  • Use AI to Jump to activity. This is most often ~1min from end of video clip but this is the most annoying part of reviewing clips
  • Better scrubbing ability. Needs to be a pop up showing the time when scrubbing through video and/or include 10/15 sec fast forward/rewind
  • Allow viewer to go full screen since it can only be viewed in Park anyways
  • Multi-select for delete and swipe to delete
  • Swipe to archive/save
I think those were the main things I wanted fixed or added from my initial testing. Anything else you think would make this better?

Love that Tesla has finally released an in car solution to viewing dash cam videos.
Bugs
  • When you get to about 1min from the end of each ~10min clip, it will boot you back to the 2 or 3min mark of the video

This is the main issue. If the viewer will not allow you to fast forward to the last minute of the clip, sentry viewer is 99% useless. The trigger for the recording is somewhere in the last 30 seconds.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Bugs
Are you sure it is not booting back at the excact 10 min mark. My clips are typically 10 min plus 45 to 50 second long. They don't play a second past the exact 10 min mark and return to the start even though there is time remaining on the clip.

Having said that I do see random boot backs to the start from random point s in some clips.

This is the main issue. If the viewer will not allow you to fast forward to the last minute of the clip, sentry viewer is 99% useless. The trigger for the recording is somewhere in the last 30 seconds.
Yea I would say the trigger ends up being about 1:30-30 before the end of the clip most of the times and I anecdotally was able to see about 70% of the events...but not all of them, which limits its usefulness for sure.
Are you sure it is not booting back at the excact 10 min mark. My clips are typically 10 min plus 45 to 50 second long. They don't play a second past the exact 10 min mark and return to the start even though there is time remaining on the clip.

Having said that I do see random boot backs to the start from random point s in some clips.
I did notice most of my clips were 10:45 long instead of the 10min I expected so you could be on to something but there were definitely clips where the event had not occurred yet and were being booted which implies it isn’t playing the full clip.

I also noticed that it sometimes boots you back to the beginning a bit randomly but doesn’t happen as often as the end clip scenario. There’s something weird going on there

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Where do you find the dash cam viewer? Not sure there is anything on my USB yet 'cos the car has been largely parked up in my driveway since I got it thanks to the Coronavirus.

Also if the trigger is about 1 to 1.5 minutes from the end of each clip that is a bit useless. On my other car with a regular dashcam if a collision is detected it keeps about 5 minutes before and goes on recording for around 10 minutes afterwards. That then picks up any confrontation with the other driver/vandal etc.

To delete a file you need to open the file and search for the garbage bin icon on the bottom right.

If you want to delete several files this is a little tedious, I don't think there is a global command to do this.

It would be nice (similar to Google e-mail) to add a double bracket [ ] on the very left of the list to select by clicking [x] which one to delete.

Reactions: RobbL
Where do you find the dash cam viewer?
If you have a memory card connected via usb And it is formatted correctly, then a camera icon should show at the top right corner. With the latest update you can click on the icon and select launch viewer from the drop down menu
Sometimes the Dashcam icon doesn’t come up and I have to remove the memory card and reinsert it, this is with various memory cards. Am I missing something or a fix?
I don’t think I’ve had this issue with mine. I’m using this memory card: Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB Micro... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B984HJ5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
To delete a file you need to open the file and search for the garbage bin icon on the bottom right.

If you want to delete several files this is a little tedious, I don't think there is a global command to do this.

It would be nice (similar to Google e-mail) to add a double bracket [ ] on the very left of the list to select by clicking [x] which one to delete.
I know there is a delete function but as you said, it is a bit tedious. I agree there should be a multi-select on the clips for deletion. Swipe to delete on the clip menu would also make it much easier. These are basic UI features of any touchscreen app these days and should be added.

Another improvement suggestion:
  • Add playback speed toggle (1.5x, 2x,etc.)
I think this feature is less important if you have the combination of better scrubbing control and jump to event but it could still be useful if a longer event occurs. I know I’ve had some 20-30min clips in the past where another person walked by my car 5 min after the last person which triggered the ~8-9min before being recorded resulting in a stictched together long clip. Jump to event button where you can skip to each event in a long clip would also resolve that though.
  • Add voice commands. “Launch viewer/dashcam” did not work. “View latest sentry event” would be helpful.
  • View recent clips- the usual recordings from the last hour that appear on your memory card don’t show in the viewer

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
If you have a memory card connected via usb And it is formatted correctly, then a camera icon should show at the top right corner. With the latest update you can click on the icon and select launch viewer from the drop down menu

Got the camera icon but when I press this it changes to a camera with a down arrow, then a camera with a green dot and then back to the camera with a red dot. No drop down menu. Firmware 2020.8.3.

That explains it then. Thanks.

The cameras on the Tesla are very odd things.

For instance on my Nissan Leaf and Nissan Navara, both of which have wing mirror cameras, rear and front cameras, I can veiw any camera on the screen (when the car is going less than 5mph or so) just by pushing a button. Very helpful when parking in a tight spot, or looking at the no parking lines on the ground to make sure I don't have a wheel on them.

But the Tesla - I can only look at the rear camera. Yet the cameras must all be feeding into the screen computer?

That explains it then. Thanks.

The cameras on the Tesla are very odd things.

For instance on my Nissan Leaf and Nissan Navara, both of which have wing mirror cameras, rear and front cameras, I can veiw any camera on the screen (when the car is going less than 5mph or so) just by pushing a button. Very helpful when parking in a tight spot, or looking at the no parking lines on the ground to make sure I don't have a wheel on them.

But the Tesla - I can only look at the rear camera. Yet the cameras must all be feeding into the screen computer?
I agree, this would be a useful feature to have. I think it is just a matter of Tesla enabling it.

Someone asked Elon about displaying the side camera view when activating the blinker and switching lanes and he said that it would/could be done. I assume/hope that they do something similar to assist with parking, especially since the overhead 360 view cannot be enabled on the Tesla because of the placement of cameras compared to the Leaf for example.

I think they should display the rear camera view (as currently implemented) with the rear, left, right side cameras in each corner, just as in the dash cam viewer and allow you to switch your camera feed that way.

I think the live view screen should look just like the TeslaCam player, where the selected or primary camera takes up the majority of the screen while smaller thumbnails of the other cameras can be selected to then become the primary.