Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've charged at many RV parks using the 50 amp (14-50) connector (standard equipment with the Tesla). You need an adapter to use the 30 TT-30 plugs and as they are only 110V, it's a slower charge. In the area's I've traveled (mainly the prairie states), most RV parks have 50 amps, but this depends on the area of the country. Two points when using RV parks:

1. The circuits are often not up to city standards, so you need to adjust the rate down. Usually 33-38 amps works fine. A full 40 amp will often trip the breakers.

2. RV park managers only know about 30 amp and 50 amp. They have no idea of what a 14-50 or TT-30 is.

I've charged at many RV parks using the 50 amp (14-50) connector (standard equipment with the Tesla). You need an adapter to use the 30 TT-30 plugs and as they are only 110V, it's a slower charge. In the area's I've traveled (mainly the prairie states), most RV parks have 50 amps, but this depends on the area of the country. Two points when using RV parks:

1. The circuits are often not up to city standards, so you need to adjust the rate down. Usually 33-38 amps works fine. A full 40 amp will often trip the breakers.

2. RV park managers only know about 30 amp and 50 amp. They have no idea of what a 14-50 or TT-30 is.

I've charged several times at RV parks and this advice is spot on. Reduce the amperage or you will trip breakers. The infrastructure at many parks is not maintained well and can't handle the 100% duty cycle. I've had RV park managers blame me and send me away....

We use a 30A one of these electrical circuit testers / analyzers on our RV to prevent electrical damage to our RV electrical wiring / devices when we plug in. Amazon.com: Technology Research 34850 50 Amp Portable Surge Guard: Automotive We think its better to be safe than sorry since we'll be far away from home (like Alaska or remote areas of CO UT AZ NV CA) if any electrical damage occurs.

RV parks electrical "grids" can definitely be flakey, especially if its hot outside and all the bigger RVs are running their dual ACs causing low voltage / low amperage / surge conditions. Some also have questionable wiring and poor maintenance.

We added a 327W SunPower solar panel & MPPT charge controller so we can camp "off the grid" without running out of 12V power in the dual 6V 232Ah "golf cart" batteries in our RV. Yahoo! Groups Our solar system runs everything off 12V but the refrigerator and hot water heater which use propane or 120V... and of course our 15,000 BTU AC which requires us to be plugged in or running our 3.2kW Onan diesel generator.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I've charged at several camping sites with no problems. One of those times we actually camped at the site, so it was very convenient to charge up overnight. Just like at home :).

The other times we were just passing through and needed a charge. I had a to pay a small fee to use the camp sites. It ranged from $5 at one site, to $10 at another site. That seemed reasonable to me. All of them were 14-50 connectors, and charged quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Plugshare.com is useful for finding RV parks that are Tesla friendly.

Prior to this past February, I had to charge at RV campgrounds to make it to any Supercharger.
Plugshare does list ones that have allowed EVs to charge in the past, but there are vastly more RV parks than those listed on Plugshare. It's worthwhile checking out allstays.com or another RV park finder and calling ahead if you find yourself in a jam.

Reactions: jerry33
I don't think an air mattress would do a thing to solve the physical challenge of an uneven angle surface. Imho
I used a folded up bedspread under my air mattress to level the floor. It worked fine but the problem with sleeping in the back of the S is the low headroom. I'm more comfortable in my little tent.

Charging on TT-30 at the campground in Zion National Park:

Model S at campsite Zion NP1680sf 6-9-16.jpg

Model S at campsite Zion NP1683sf 6-10-16.jpg

Charging on 14-50 at the campground in Dead Horse Point State Park in Utah:
Charging at Dead Horse Point State Park1820edsf 11-13-16.jpg