Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Changed FSD Beta Suspension Threshold - Only For Some Users/vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got suspended from FSD today, last week I got a strike for looking out the side window on a long straight empty highway (I-40) on an 8 hour drive after getting a few of those "pay attention" warnings and got put in AP jail for the rest of the drive .. then today I was setting up to navigate to a supercharger while driving on another long straight mostly empty road (110 in Palm Springs), looking at the screen, and got a second strike for not paying attention. After I got to the SC and put my car in park, a message popped up saying that I'm suspended, but could get it back in a future software update. Disappointing, but I guess my fault since I know the rules, but I do think the "Please pay attention" warning is a bit overly sensitive.

So I covered the camera at one point, but FSD kept kicking out saying the camera was blocked. On the I-40, after getting put in AP jail, I pulled over and turned off FSD and covered the camera with a business card for the rest of the drive, and that worked, but if FSD is on and you cover the camera, you'll get yelled at.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Something is either broken or changed with my car. Got 10.5 (2021.36.8.8) around 11/24. The first few days were fine.

Then suddenly yesterday, while staring at the road with my hands on the wheel I kept getting the “pay attention to the road” notifications on the freeway. Went to AP jail. Got a strike. Next trip, same thing. Now 2 strikes out of 3.

Extremely likely I will get suspended the next time I drive. No idea what I’m doing wrong. Even started mashing my drive stalk, jiggling the wheel, opening my eyes wider, making sure to blink regularly on my second drive. Just tried a reboot by holding down my steering wheel buttons incase that helps.

Something is either broken or changed with my car. Got 10.5 (2021.36.8.8) around 11/24. The first few days were fine.

Then suddenly yesterday, while staring at the road with my hands on the wheel I kept getting the “pay attention to the road” notifications on the freeway. Went to AP jail. Got a strike. Next trip, same thing. Now 2 strikes out of 3.

Extremely likely I will get suspended the next time I drive. No idea what I’m doing wrong. Even started mashing my drive stalk, jiggling the wheel, opening my eyes wider, making sure to blink regularly on my second drive. Just tried a reboot by holding down my steering wheel buttons incase that helps.
try sunglasses next drive. who knows, maybe it'll work? Will camera calibration effect the cabin cam? Maybe give it a shot.

Reactions: Crowmagnum
I just finished a 30 minute drive with just the autopilot (my fsd hasnt actually activated even though it's upgraded) with the visor extended all the way over so it almost blocks the camera. I didn't get any extra alerts vs normal driving with hands on the wheel. May be a little bit of a gray zone.

I just finished a 30 minute drive with just the autopilot (my fsd hasnt actually activated even though it's upgraded) with the visor extended all the way over so it almost blocks the camera. I didn't get any extra alerts vs normal driving with hands on the wheel. May be a little bit of a gray zone.
If you have the FSD slider turned off it won't. It works fine. I did that on a long trip on a straight highway trip where I was tired of getting the stupid "pay attention" notification for looking at the scenery with no other cars around me. But if you activate FSD, it will kick you out of autosteer due to a blocked camera.

I just got beta on Tuesday and FSD would not activate because I had previously taped over the cabin camera. Once I uncovered it FSD was very sensitive to me not looking at the road. After a couple of seconds a notification would pop up telling me to pay attention. This happened 2-3 times in my neighborhood, driving very slowly. The next day I wanted to see what would happen with glasses on, with sunglasses on, with a baseball cap on, etc. Well, it no longer seems to care how long I am not looking at the road. I literally can't get the warning to come up again. The only thing I haven't tried is completely covering the camera up again.
BTW, I got beta in only 3 days! Has anyone heard of this happening so quickly? More info here -

I just got beta on Tuesday and FSD would not activate because I had previously taped over the cabin camera. Once I uncovered it FSD was very sensitive to me not looking at the road. After a couple of seconds a notification would pop up telling me to pay attention. This happened 2-3 times in my neighborhood, driving very slowly. The next day I wanted to see what would happen with glasses on, with sunglasses on, with a baseball cap on, etc. Well, it no longer seems to care how long I am not looking at the road. I literally can't get the warning to come up again. The only thing I haven't tried is completely covering the camera up again.
BTW, I got beta in only 3 days! Has anyone heard of this happening so quickly? More info here -
Maybe you had some tape residue on the camera lens?

I also got mine in 3 days. I reset my score and started back with 99. After 2 days I got the email and it was pushed to my car the next day.

Just installed 10.6 and same issue. My threshold is 2 forced disengagements and others is 3. I have yet to see another car with 2 as the limit.

IMG_6043.jpg

Isn't it that the bulk of S/X if not nearly all (started only in 2021 models) do NOT have the in car camera monitoring capability?
That is true but I would be shocked if they did not write the software to assign the number based on whether of not the car has an interior camera. Mine does and it is active in FSD Beta. I'm guessing it is something else. It may actually be my bad driving as suggested early in this thread. My driving since I got FSD Beta would certainly not score in the 90's. Perhaps I am on a shorter leash due to my ongoing score.

Very similar to my case. In suspension from FSD Beta testing, but noticed immediately that in Auto Steer or NOA I was getting RED Text “Apply slight turning force…” alerts with similar randomness to the “Please pay attention…” alerts in FSD Beta. Seems like it is the same glitch in sensors or the algoritem that got me suspended from FSD Beta Testing in V10.5.