Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changing music streaming agreement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my car in the end of 2019. After my initial month of premium connectivity expired, I have been streaming music with a WiFi hotspot ever since.

Recently, I can no longer stream music through a hotspot. When I press the stream button, it asks for a login and password. I googled about this issue and some ppl advised to contact Tesla support to reset the account.

I submitted a ticket, but was told that streaming only comes with premium subscription. They provided this link, but of course this is the updated agreement. Connectivity

I checked the web archive and it listed the music and video streaming as part of the standard connectivity working through WiFi. I showed them this image but was told to purchase the premium subscription. Can they change the agreement anytime they want? Connectivity

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I think the "streaming" music is just an old Slacker streaming account, right? Can you create a free account and see if you can log in? If so, I don't think Tesla violated anything since you can still stream via wifi (granted with limited skip ability, and possibly with commercials)

Again, as far as I know, the package that comes with premium connectivity is roughly the equivalent of Slacker's $3.99/mo package. I think the service is now called LiveXLive (slacker got bought out).

• Informative
I bought my car in the end of 2019. After my initial month of premium connectivity expired, I have been streaming music with a WiFi hotspot ever since.

Recently, I can no longer stream music through a hotspot. When I press the stream button, it asks for a login and password. I googled about this issue and some ppl advised to contact Tesla support to reset the account.

I submitted a ticket, but was told that streaming only comes with premium subscription. They provided this link, but of course this is the updated agreement. Connectivity

I checked the web archive and it listed the music and video streaming as part of the standard connectivity working through WiFi. I showed them this image but was told to purchase the premium subscription. Can they change the agreement anytime they want? Connectivity
My read on that is that they just clarify you need a subscription to that specific streaming service for it to work, not that you need premium connectivity.

From this thread, the included Slacker subscription varies from 1 year to 4 years depending on when you bought the car (check your manual from the date your car started). It was not unlimited.
People also says the free account is not compatible with Teslas. It's the Plus and Premium that works. It may be because Free has ads and Teslas might not support the ad serving.
Tesla Slacker Subscription ONLY good for 1 year

Yes, it is the slacker radio. I just created a free account, but it shows as invalid account when logging in.
I didn't see this comment. If you are talking about Slacker, then what I put above applies exactly to you. The 1 year premium Slacker subscription that came with your car has expired, that's why it no longer works.

It has nothing to do with the Wifi.

By the end of 2019, it definitely is no longer 4 years Slacker included according to that thread.

You can check the different versions of 2019 Model 3 manuals here:
Wayback Machine
Wayback Machine

Edit: I'll save you some work as I was just curious also when they changed things. The 10/31 manual still has a passage:
"Note: Tesla also provides you with a complimentary Streaming Personal Radio account for four years. To use your own Slacker Plus or Premium account instead, scroll to the bottom of the Streaming source, enter your credentials, touch Use High Bitrate to stream higher quality sound (if your Model 3 is equipped with the optional Ultra High Fidelity Sound package), and then touch LOGIN. To switch back to your Tesla account, simply touch USE TESLA ACCOUNT; you don't need to enter a user name or password for your Tesla account. You can purchase your own Slacker Plus or Premium account at www.slacker.com. Model 3 does not support basic (free) Slacker services."
Wayback Machine
The 11/24/2018 manual had the passage completely removed, so presumably that was when they changed things (although the passage on Tune-in was still there):
https://web.archive.org/web/20181124151343/https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf
11/08/2019 version the Tune-in passage was removed and replaced with:
"Tesla may provide account credentials for some internet radio and music streaming services. You can use your Tesla account or you can sign in with your own account by scrolling to the bottom of the streaming service window and entering your account credentials."
Wayback Machine

Last edited:
Curious what the 1-yr of 'premium connectivity' includes. I tried clicking on a few streaming services, and all asked for login info, so figured none were included. So which streaming services on a 2021 car you can use your Tesla account info to log into? Thx.

Curious what the 1-yr of 'premium connectivity' includes. I tried clicking on a few streaming services, and all asked for login info, so figured none were included. So which streaming services on a 2021 car you can use your Tesla account info to log into? Thx.
Premium connectivity simply means you have access to a LTE connection for those services (and don't need to rely on Wifi). That doesn't mean Tesla is necessarily providing the logins for those services. Quite frankly the $10/month is the price of a very basic data plan for most mobile carriers out there, so it's unlikely Tesla can throw in much if any subscription services for that price. As pointed out up thread, Slacker is $3.99 for Plus, $9.99 for Premium. TuneIn Premium and Spotify Premium is $9.99. Note some of these have Free tiers also, although Tesla may not necessarily be able to support those (my guess is it has to do with ad serving for those not compatible).

You can try services like Youtube for example that don't need a login as an obvious example of what's available with that connectivity over LTE. Once your premium connectivity expires, you would have to connect to wifi to access that.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Premium connectivity simply means you have access to a LTE connection for those services (and don't need to rely on Wifi). That doesn't mean Tesla is necessarily providing the logins for those services. Quite frankly the $10/month is the price of a very basic data plan for most mobile carriers out there, so it's unlikely Tesla can throw in much if any subscription services for that price. As pointed out up thread, Slacker is $3.99 for Plus, $9.99 for Premium. TuneIn Premium and Spotify Premium is $9.99. Note some of these have Free tiers also, although Tesla may not necessarily be able to support those (my guess is it has to do with ad serving for those not compatible).

You can try services like Youtube for example that don't need a login as an obvious example of what's available with that connectivity over LTE. Once your premium connectivity expires, you would have to connect to wifi to access that.

you get an internal spotify premium account for free with every car. even without premium connectivity.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
you get an internal spotify premium account for free with every car. even without premium connectivity.
Are you sure? On my 2021, I had to log in to my premium (family) account to be able to hear it from the car, as far as I remember. We don't plan to pay for premium connectivity once it expires, since we don't really use anything. The only thing I use is the car's Spotify, so if the car will retain it, it'd be awesome. Otherwise, I'd just stream it from my phone, like I do with all other vehicles, so no biggie.

Are you sure? On my 2021, I had to log in to my premium (family) account to be able to hear it from the car, as far as I remember. We don't plan to pay for premium connectivity once it expires, since we don't really use anything. The only thing I use is the car's Spotify, so if the car will retain it, it'd be awesome. Otherwise, I'd just stream it from my phone, like I do with all other vehicles, so no biggie.

oh interesting. i wasnt aware of that. theres been a couple of videos were bjorn is using spotify on non premium i think?

I have tried logging into Spotify with my Tesla info to no avail.
Also, you get some form of streaming for free. If you go to the music icon and steaming, that stuff doesn't require a login.
That's what I figured (no Tesla acct login). And without logging in, there's nothing you can hear, for what I remember.
And on the 'free' streaming, I haven't tried every icon... BUT my question is if we don't pay for premium connectivity, will the 'streaming' icon disappear? My guess is yes, so there wouldn't be anything there. We'll see, I guess :). I'll be until Dec 31st though.

That's what I figured (no Tesla acct login). And without logging in, there's nothing you can hear, for what I remember.
And on the 'free' streaming, I haven't tried every icon... BUT my question is if we don't pay for premium connectivity, will the 'streaming' icon disappear? My guess is yes, so there wouldn't be anything there. We'll see, I guess :). I'll be until Dec 31st though.

I don't think the icon disappears because it's baked into the software, but probably won't have any content display unless you are on wifi.