Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging $1915 for rear quarter window replacement!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got broken into in Oakland where they broke into the small rear quarter window. Called around to Primer based on recs here; they didn't have the glass available. Got an updated estimate of 1900 from Tesla!! The breakdown of parts shows "ASY BRIGHT MOLDING" is the most expensive part at 896.40. THe window glass is $240. What is this and I'm looking for advice. thanks

Unfortunately if it’s a MS it’s probably not out of line with what they charge. The wife wanted a license plate holder for the front bumper of our Plaid. I asked the SA about it and she said it was $50. For an aluminum rectangle painted black. $8-$12 on amazon.

The chrome trim is totally intact. The top of the window has one continuous strip that extends over the main rear window. Perhaps I can ask them to keep the same trim, although one forum member said that it may not look right as apparently they have to break binder/glue to install the glass. Anyone with experience on this?

I had this happen a few years back on a Model 3.. "courtesy break in" they called it.. for the window and the trim, with installation from Safelite was $485... Model S is probably higher, but it was an OEM glass and trim, so I'd give them a call. Didn't even submit an insurance claim since it was below the $500 deductible I have for comprehensive. Give them a call, they come to your house or work.

As a note and behavior I try to perform, when I'm in any area where I'm relying on Sentry mode and safety, I pull one of the rear seats forward so an interested party can see into the trunk area (assuming there is nothing in there) so as to maybe minimize their interest in trying to find a briefcase, laptop, valuables, etc.

Last edited:
I had this happen about 2 years ago. The cost was about $1000 from an independent. They warned me that they try and save the chrome strip, but it often gets damaged when removing it, which bumps the cost/labor. The chrome strip must be removed to replace the window. For me, they were able to save the chrome strip and the cost didn't go up. Unfortunately, they gouged the paint down to the metal below the window and I had to have the panel repainted (at their expense).

It took about a week to get the window repaired (they did it in my garage), so I made a temporary cover while I waited: To Catch A Thief – Tesla Breakins – TeslaTap The cover made it a lot quieter and reduced risk of water intrusion.

Safelite quoted about $1000 from their online estimator. One shop (HighTech Auto Glass) in Redwood city quoted $500, and offered mobile service. A body shop quoted 500 for parts, but estimated 6 hours labor with total price: $1500. The estimates are all over; seems like 4-6 hour labor is a stretch from what I've read. Looks like there's a risk of not getting a perfect result with some muscle involved trying to keep the original chrome trim, but without glass coverage I'm leaning towards taking a chance. Any experience with High-Tech auto glass in redwood city, which offers the rock bottom price of $500 ? Thanks for the help, this forum has always been full of good advice.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Safelite quoted about $1000 from their online estimator. One shop (HighTech Auto Glass) in Redwood city quoted $500, and offered mobile service. A body shop quoted 500 for parts, but estimated 6 hours labor with total price: $1500. The estimates are all over; seems like 4-6 hour labor is a stretch from what I've read. Looks like there's a risk of not getting a perfect result with some muscle involved trying to keep the original chrome trim, but without glass coverage I'm leaning towards taking a chance. Any experience with High-Tech auto glass in redwood city, which offers the rock bottom price of $500 ? Thanks for the help, this forum has always been full of good advice.
I’d go with the RC option (sorry, mis-read the post, go with cheapest, if it’s the RC place all in, that sounds best, SL is always solid).. ask them though if it’s GLASS AND TRIM, or if they think they will use the existing trim. This area had SO MANY rear window break ins in the past 3-4 years, a place like that must have been doing it often. The install should only take about 45-60 minutes overall. There is de-lam, heatgun work, then measurement, then applying adhesive, then install. Measure twice, cut once.

okay, I just went back over four years of credit card statements, this is the place locally I used back in 2019. Tesla Glass Replacement | Precision Autoglass | San Mateo

Give them a call or check their pricing maybe. It was $409.10 back in Apr 2019. Of COURSE it will be somewhat higher, although maybe not too much.

I have no affiliation with this company at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne