Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cockpit non-app BETA 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just a note -- "weekday" is mis-spelled as "weakday".... and since "weekday" normally means Mon-Fri anyway, you might want to change the header to just say "Day of Week" or "Day"....

Glad to see you adding new functionality!

Dave

Once again thank you Dave! You stare at something long enough it all starts the look the same.

This fix along with many others going up this evening.

Thanks again!

Just pushed up a new build with a few new goodies
  • User Management
  • Notification Management
  • SMS notifications
  • SmartClimate Management which includes setting manual day/times for climate to start
  • Time Zone integration (uses the time zone the car is in but can be overridden in setting)
  • Minor bug fixes

smartclimate.png

Awesome additions to the site.

Something to keep on the horizon if it isn't already in your roadmap: do you have a way for the user to update/remove the API token? I only ask because the tokens generated expire after three or four months and those of us using that login method will need to have a way to provide a new one. Additionally, if the user has had to revoke the token for any reason (some other third party access misbehaving or whatever) the token would have to be redone here as well.

Also, I am still mildly concerned with how the site potentially stores drive statistic data. My pie-in-the-sky request would be for us to have the ability to remove entries (similar to how Google lets you go in and remove trips), but assurances that only our car, Tesla, and the e-mail we choose have access to this data would be helpful at putting my mind to ease :)

EDIT: Me fail english

Reactions: Newport Ryan
Hey Kevin,

Definitely on the horizon to be able to update the token. In the interim we can figure something out if you need to update yours just email us at [email protected]

As far as data removal we were thinking of offering two options. First "Delete All" which would literally delete all data related to a specific vehicle. Second, "Delete Drive" which would remove all vehicle position and meta data related to the drive.

Do you think we're missing anything there?

On the point about others having access to your data, only the user that the supplied the credentials has access to the data for that particular vehicle(s). This is enforced throughout the entire stack.

Also given my background with geo-spatial databases and since position data seems to be the most "sensitive" aside from username/password, we're also testing a new storage method for position information (lat/lon). This is something I have been working on for awhile outside this project in which position data is stored in an encrypted manner (keyed to each user) but can still be used for geographic calculations without decryption. Today we have to decrypt, calculate, encrypt again as well as there is a common key for all vehicles. This new method would solve both those problems. Probably a bit out for that specifically but wanted to demonstrate that security is "baked" into the roadmap.

Thanks again for your time and feedback!

• Love
Reactions: kevinf311
position data is stored in an encrypted manner (keyed to each user) but can still be used for geographic calculations without decryption
Maybe I'm slow, but this sounds... impossible.

If the data is encrypted (doesn't matter if it's one key, or keyed to each used given their login/password/VIN/whatever), and you want to use it for anything/geolocation/etc. you would have to decrypt it before using it. Even if you're decrypting on the fly, you're still dekeying/decrypting the data.

Maybe I'm slow, but this sounds... impossible.

If the data is encrypted (doesn't matter if it's one key, or keyed to each used given their login/password/VIN/whatever), and you want to use it for anything/geolocation/etc. you would have to decrypt it before using it. Even if you're decrypting on the fly, you're still dekeying/decrypting the data.

That's exactly what I said 2000 when my boss said to me, "Now that mobile phones can do this new thing called cell tower triangulation we are going to start storing our users locations. We need a way to store the data so we can't see it but we can still use". As a dev team we had a collective belly laugh. :)

As time went on and I thought about it more outside of the traditional general encryption methods, I realized points on a globe are in of themselves a key in a sense, enabling different encryption methodologies specific to geography.

I didn't throw it out there to say it was close to being production ready, just to illustrate the dedication to security and privacy.

Thanks again for the feedback!

As time went on and I thought about it more outside of the traditional general encryption methods, I realized points on a globe are in of themselves a key in a sense, enabling different encryption methodologies specific to geography.
So your proposed "encryption" method is instead of using lat/lon, to store it as ECEF or ENU? That's not encryption then, not in a direct sense.

I tried to login with a token... I think it created an account. But when I try to login again, it says Bad Username or password... so whatever account it created, it won't let me login with it.

Hello Naonak,,

We're really sorry you are experiencing the inability to login with a token. Would be so kind as to go back to the site and try again. Keep in mind if you are trying to login with a token you should click on the "New Token User" link first, create a username/password and enter the token. This may take a few seconds but you should be automatically logged in. If that doesn't happen please create a ticket by clicking "get help" and that will help us understand the specifics of the issue.

Thanks again for your feedback and looking forward to hearing from you.

Just wondering...can you share what your plans are with respect to eventually charging for what you are now providing at no charge? I ask because depending on what that cost may be, I may or may not choose to start using your site.

Thanks!

Hey Andy,

Thanks so much for reaching out. We haven't really put too much thought into that aspect of the service. A charging mechanism isn't even part of the software at this point as the TC was built by enthusiast for enthusiast.

In my mind if we did charge it would be to cover the costs of the compute and storage that powers the system but to be perfectly transparent we don't have any plans in that regard at this point.

having said all that you do bring up an interesting question, what is it worth to ya? :)

Thanks again for your reply and I hope you are having a fantastic weekend!

having said all that you do bring up an interesting question, what is it worth to ya? :)

Thanks again for your reply and I hope you are having a fantastic weekend!

Thanks, Ryan.

It's a little difficult for me to answer that question, as I haven't actually used your site yet. I will sign up, though, based on your answer.

Another reason it is difficult, and why my answer may not apply to others, is that I am already using other similar sites. I was a fairly early user of Tesla Log, which appears to no longer be supported, but which is still free, and I recently started paying for TeslaFi. I haven't delved deeply into that, though.

I think TeslaFi is about $50 per year. If your service did everything they do and more, and was priced similarly or better, I might consider switching. I doubt I'd want to pay for two similar services, especially while a third, free one is still working.

Thanks again for the response!

This looks great. Nice work. Any way to chance to KM and Celsius for us Canadians?
Alexa app would be wonderful - any update on when it may be approved and avail?

The Tesla Cockpit is now live on Echo (Alexa)! The skill can be found in the echo skill store (Tesla Cockpit (unofficial).

For this version Alexa can be asked the following;

Alexa, ask my car to turn climate on
Alexa, ask my car to turn the climate on
Alexa, ask my car to Heat up
Alexa, ask my car to Heat
Alexa, ask my car to heat my tesla
Alexa, ask my car to cool
Alexa, ask my car to cool down
Alexa, ask my car to cool it's jets
Alexa, ask my car to Honk the horn
Alexa, ask my car to Honk its horn
Alexa, ask my car to Honk my horn
Alexa, ask my car if i can can get a woot woot
Alexa, ask my car to speak
Alexa, ask my car to Flash the lights.
Alexa, ask my car to Flash my lights.
Alexa, ask my car to wink at me
Alexa, ask my car Where my car is
Alexa, ask my car Where my Tesla is
Alexa, ask my car where it is
Alexa, ask my car where it at
Alexa, ask my car what's its twenty
Alexa, ask my car dude where is my car
Alexa, ask my car what's its location

Now that it has been published we're looking for any ideas you all may have to add functionality to Alexa.

Enjoy!

Oh Ryan, you poor confused person. I looked at your personal web page (and your resume) and can factually state I have been programming HTML since over a decade before you started college in 1996 (full disclosure, I started college in 1985 so I am also likely over a decade older than you). When I click on the links you have provided from my tablet (Safari and Mercury browsers) and my desktop (Firefox, Chrome and IE), the following website appears.
Given that I apparently am too stupid to click on a URL, might you tell me where the URL is on this page? When looking at the page's source code (and yes, I am old school enough, that I write web pages in straight code vice relying on URL script programs so I actually do look at it), the ONLY static URL links on the page are the "Support" URL link beneath the "Enter Cockpit" button which points to a mailto: link and the link to clicky.com at the very bottom of the page (cut off in picture) from the clicky website analytics widget you put on your page. You also have some lovely java scripts on the page which you obtained from various script resource directories on the web.

Given your knowledge, might you tell me where this static URL I am too stupid to find and click on is located? I'll even give you a web design tip for free -- if you build a website where the average user can't locate the links you want them to click on...it's a poorly designed website.

If I'm wrong and any other user of this forum has the links Ryan is posting above going to anything other than the login page/script given the CURRENT website code and settings, I'll be more than happy to post a full retraction of my comments right here in this thread.
Give it a rest! The guy is trying hard to come up with a great innovative product.