Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cockpit non-app BETA 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you please add an option to just give you the API key you need as opposed to our login credentials? It would make giving you access to our car a lot more comfortable if we can give you a revocable and expiring API key instead.

Thank you so much for the feedback.

We could definitely do that. We would also probably need to know when that key expires to remind you to get another key.

How many people do you think would understand A. what an API key is and B. know How to obtain the key?

One more note is when a pilot changes their password at Tesla that invalidates any API keys issued up to that point.

Thanks again for your thoughts here and we'll definitely add "Access Token Login" to the build list.

I'm curious: are the tokens Tesla supplies (afrey we authenticate) read-only, or do they allow access to open doors, start car, etc?

Thank you for your feedback!

The access tokens allow access to any of the functions in the vehicle (exposed through the API) up until the token expires. Tokens issued today expire in 3 months, but this is something Tesla could change at anytime.

This is key to SMART automation as it allows the system to react to the pilots needs and habits.

When we were pondering this whole thing and talking it out with the significant others one of the first things that came up was things like, "What if this thing goes crazy and does X". As we played out the different "worst case" scenarios we thought the two "worst" things that could happen is the automation drains the battery to a point where the pilot is stranded and second drawing attention to the vehicle by honking the horn in places that might not be as safe as others.

We also learned through testing that tesla "governs" these functions directly in the API.

For us this really wasn't enough and having the experience to expect the unexpected we did three things to mitigate the risk further.

First we completely abstracted the software that actually performs the function of receiving a request for a car function and performing that function away from the user interface and automation engine. This actually doubled as a security feature as we don't have to transmit or store any actual tesla credentials (username/password/access token) on the client (user interface), it also was a lot more work. :)

The second thing we did is build a governor right into the software that performs those vehicle functions. Today the governor limits actions on a standard functions per minute per function per vehicle rate but we can see if the future pilots having the ability to adjust it themselves.

Lastly we built what we call SMARTAudit into the system which at a high level looks for "unusual" patterns throughout the system but specifically around internal API CALL/ERROR metrics to alert us of any anomalies that could indicate an issue.

Having said all that human feedback is critical to create a more perfect algorithm and we can't say enough how thankful we are for all the feedback from the community.

If you are unable to click on a URL and see static HTML content which includes JPG images then perhaps you should stick to the app store.

I want to apologize for this comment. After re-reading this morning it's was a really dick thing to say in any event and I'm sorry.

I also want to say that after looking at the code this morning with "fresh eyes" you were absolutely right. Upon brand new browser sessions the user was redirected to the login page. If you clicked on the link subsequently and did not create a new session the redirect did not occur.

The issue has been resolved, thank you for pointing this out.

So not only were you helping us out, I insulted your intelligence and I feel awful about it.

Again my apologies and I'm committing not take feedback so personally in the future. :)

Ryan -- I takes a big man to apologize and your doing so publicly says a lot about your character. I certainly can understand your frustration yesterday/last night. You've obviously been working hard on something for a while, roll it out as a demo to the community and the first posts coming back are all questioning what you're doing and security concerns.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have responded to your comments about my clicking on a URL as strongly as I did either. I've spent the majority of my professional life working alongside and with incredibly talented, smart people pushing the edge of technology in many areas. I just got my gander up to that comment when I could see what the problem was and just didn't want to call it out because (to be honest), I still wasn't sure you weren't engaged in a Phishing operation to collect Tesla.com credentials. What I should have done clearly point out the redirect to the login page. For the harshness on my part, I apologize as well.

I honestly do wish you luck with your software. As I said, it does look like the kind of thing that would appeal to some owners and has the potential to really offer some value to the community. Keep pushing on it.

and, should you ever be headed to DC, drop me a note in advance. If I'm in town, would be happy to buy you a beer by way of apology.

Best,
Dave

Thank you, Dave, for the kind reply! I'm really glad we can move past all this and I'll definitely drop you a note if I am on the other coast!

As far as the project itself for me personally it fits into a larger picture of what I like to think of as "life automation", probably a decade long hobby for me. A piece of software that one can subscribe to or host on their own that integrates the different services and devices which includes vehicles one might subscribe to or own. This software would first and foremost make it easier to make those things "talk" to each other and secondly provide a mechanism whereby the "owner" if you will have the proper knobs, levers and buttons to tune the automation to them specifically and provide feedback to the algorithms. Stay with me, I realize that's probably a way away, just a long-term overview if you will. :)

Let’s at look home automation as an example which is becoming increasingly more popular and increasingly more confusing for the average person. Fortunately for me I had a brother that worked at SmartHome about a decade ago that got me started in the home automation game. Fast forward two houses later and we're building our third as we speak I've automated every switch, light, hack, fan, thermostats, dampers, pool, irrigation system, motion, leak detection, TV, video sources, etc. You name it we can control I, not to be braggadocios just to add context.

The problem with that is it really isn't automation is the sense of doing something for you, unless you specifically either tell "it" to do something like start the pool pump at 9AM and stop at 5PM or turn on the ceiling fan if the thermostat in the room goes over x temperature and there's been motion in the room in the last x minutes. There is also "things" that are already "automatic" like a thermostat for instance so that really doesn't count either and you still have to set cool/heat set points manually.

Wouldn't it be nice instead if a piece of software that you found at your cloud provider of choice that was communicating with your utility company to understand electricity charges as well as your salt water system on your pool to understand the quality of the water to avoid over pumping. And maybe just maybe cross reference that with motion information of when you're actually using the pool so it can both clean and run the fountains in the most optimal time window without you ever having to tell "it" do that? It is possible today, it's just the average person feels like they need a PHD in computer science to make it work reliably and to do it "out of the box" it ties one to a specific brand or service generally.

The opportunities here from a geek perspective are really limitless and before I get too far out in the weeds; what does home automation and a Tesla have to do with each other? From a 15k foot view "car data" is newer to us and we're getting a chance to understand what functions can be performed, what initial opportunities there might be for automation and add vehicle automation, another piece to the life automation puzzle. More short term example is right now I'm playing with Alexa integration and the Cockpit. So maybe you're someone who doesn't want software actually performing automatic options on your behalf, you may want be able to tell Alexa to start the heater while you're getting ready in the morning though. Maybe on sunny days you want to be able to push a button on a keypad in our house that puts your car in "cruising" mode which opens pano roof to 50%, windows to 45% and starts your favorite cruising playlist as your walking out the door. am I right? :)

I would also like to add I wouldn't have invested so much time and energy into Tesla if it wasn't for how impressed I am with the Owner, Mr. Musk, the product and fellow owners who are by their very nature early adopters and ahead of the curve in the general sense in my humble opinion.

The good news on the evolving compute landscape in general is the cloud is becoming increasingly more user friendly, through email the general public is starting grasp the concept of the "cloud" and trust is being built. Moreover, pretty much any new "digital" device (Tuners, Speakers, Hue, Sonos, TV's, etc.) has some sort of API that can be accessed through the network to control and ascertain information from the device. In the very near future we will start seeing "2nd generation" devices come online like refrigerators, washer and dryers, microwaves, etc. and hopefully stick with the same open model the first generation is coalescing around SOAP/REST over HTTP and JSON for actual request and response payload.

So, what I'm asking besides you staying awake for my diatribe is to look past the ugly exterior, that will greatly improve over time and most likely have native version(s) targeted towards specific functionality and see if there is anything that we haven't thought of in terms of vehicle automation.

At some point, we'll get this thing to where we can put it out to the public and they can extend and configure the software and make it their own or even create lifestyle specific algorithms like "Jim's Alaskan Watering Algorithm" or "Martha Stewarts glamour party lighting algorithms" that are more custom tailored to individuals.

Can’t be done without a great community effort and it’s been awesome thus far.

Thanks again for looking past my outburst and I hope you and everyone reading this has a very Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Happy, save and loving Holidays to all!

Reactions: NicB72 and drklain
Thank you so much for the feedback.

We could definitely do that. We would also probably need to know when that key expires to remind you to get another key.

How many people do you think would understand A. what an API key is and B. know How to obtain the key?
I think that with easy-to-follow instructions non-techies should be fine. I concur with another poster that just providing you the token would be much more comforting.

Thanks for the EXCELLENT work!!

Reactions: Newport Ryan
****Update: Tesla Cockpit integration with Alexa (Amazon echo)****

BETA 1 of the Alexa integration has been fully test and submitted to Amazon for certification. In this release, there will be 4 basic functions and we would love to hear any suggestions you all might have on how you would like use your vehicle through Alexa.

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit where my car is.

This returns the current location of the vehicle as a postal address when possible, city & state when not possible.

Alternative Utterance

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit where my Tesla is.​

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit to turn the climate on.

Turns climate of vehicle on

Alternate Utterance

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit to heat up my Tesla.​

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit to honk my horn.

Honks the horn

Alternate Utterance

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit to honk my Tesla’s horn.​

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit to flash my lights.

Flashes lights

Alternate Utterance

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit to honk my Tesla’s horn.​

Will update this thread when we get certified! Thanks again for all the awesome feedback.

****Update: Tesla Cockpit integration with Alexa (Amazon echo)****

...snip

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit to turn the climate on.

Turns climate of vehicle on

Alternate Utterance

Alexa, ask Tesla Cockpit to heat up my Tesla.​

snip...

Will update this thread when we get certified! Thanks again for all the awesome feedback.

As a head's up, turning the climate control on remotely has proven quirky for even the official Tesla app (on Android). After connecting and selecting "Turn On" the climate will appear to turn on and then a few seconds later will swap to off. I'm trained to stare down the little car on my phone screen after starting the heat each morning to see if it goes dark again. The second enabling of climate has, as yet, always remained on.

The wrinkle is that it's not consistent. Sometimes the climate will stay on with one attempt but most often it requires re-enabling a few seconds later.

A FURTHER wrinkle is that the delay in climate control cutting out is inconsistent as well. I've had it go out almost immediately and I've had it go out after probably 10 seconds.

My expectation is that it has something to do with the update interval in the app and I'm just catching it at different points within the interval but it still seems like this bug will be (and has been for Tesla) a nightmare to tease out the cause of.

Reactions: Newport Ryan
Thanks!

I'm having trouble with the 0-60. I've done a bunch of trips over the past week and it won't populate that data. Have definitely gone 0-60!

Thanks again for your feedback. We’ve been hard at work in the performance metrics area as there has been a lot of interest and feedback.

What we’re seeing is in the case of the missing performance metrics is either two things. The system isn’t getting a reading a 0 speed which starts a new performance segment within the drive. Second in areas of low/bad connectivity and/or low/bad GPS areas it can be spotty. J

To help us and pilots better understand these nuances we made it possible to load the dashboard right in the browser in your Tesla so the pilot can confirm the 0 speed reading.

Additionally, the system is now tracking dropped and missed vehicle readings (and sending directly to the pilot after drive) to better understand when interweb connectivity or GPS locking might be effecting performance metrics.

Lastly please feel free to email us at [email protected] and give us the particulars (time, date, etc.) and we can dig deeper.

Thanks again for the feedback and don’t hesitate to reach out.

As a head's up, turning the climate control on remotely has proven quirky for even the official Tesla app (on Android). After connecting and selecting "Turn On" the climate will appear to turn on and then a few seconds later will swap to off. I'm trained to stare down the little car on my phone screen after starting the heat each morning to see if it goes dark again. The second enabling of climate has, as yet, always remained on.

The wrinkle is that it's not consistent. Sometimes the climate will stay on with one attempt but most often it requires re-enabling a few seconds later.

A FURTHER wrinkle is that the delay in climate control cutting out is inconsistent as well. I've had it go out almost immediately and I've had it go out after probably 10 seconds.

My expectation is that it has something to do with the update interval in the app and I'm just catching it at different points within the interval but it still seems like this bug will be (and has been for Tesla) a nightmare to tease out the cause of.

Thanks so much for the reply. As far as the Cockpit a side effect of the architecture is it's built in a transactional and resilient manner which tends alleviate some of the experiences you've mentioned. Having said that some things are out of our (developers) hands. :)

I hope you give the Tesla Cockpit a try and let us know if you experience the same behavior or have any other feedback!

I have a hard time giving out my login and password to reputable app developers on this forum
I agree. I am not willing to give my Tesla log in information to anyone. Tesla has it, my wife and I have it, and that's it.

There is no way I can know who Ryan is or what his security measures are to protect Tesla logins entered into his app login page. This is not an accusation against him, just a statement of fact.

I have no professional expertise in the area of online security. All I can do is trust that Tesla will do everything they reasonably can do to protect my login information. Providing my login information to anyone else only increases the risk.

Everyone has to make their own risk/reward calculation.

I have no professional expertise in the area of online security. All I can do is trust that Tesla will do everything they reasonably can do to protect my login information. Providing my login information to anyone else only increases the risk..

The ones who tend to be the least trustful of technology are those with little security knowledge and those with a lot of it!

• Love
Reactions: boaterva and Max*
I agree. I am not willing to give my Tesla log in information to anyone. Tesla has it, my wife and I have it, and that's it.

There is no way I can know who Ryan is or what his security measures are to protect Tesla logins entered into his app login page. This is not an accusation against him, just a statement of fact.

I have no professional expertise in the area of online security. All I can do is trust that Tesla will do everything they reasonably can do to protect my login information. Providing my login information to anyone else only increases the risk.

Everyone has to make their own risk/reward calculation.

Thanks for the replies about security and believe me I get it. During early development, we had a need for a specific model for testing that a friend of mine had. I asked him and he gave me the look like you want me to give you my what? Since we had been friends for a long time that quickly turned into no problem. If someone I have known for a long time has reservations I can certainly see how the general public would be very skeptical.

The long-term strategy to address this is to rather than have a tesla owner sign up on “our” system they would sign up for their own service that they owned, controlled, etc from the cloud provider of their choice. Essentially that means each owner would have their own database, services and “portals” and the owner would only really need to trust the cloud provider as far as data security. As the developer at that point we would just provide software updates and support.

Unfortunately, two big things stand in the way of this today. Not enough cloud providers are mature enough to offer this sort of “end-to-end” offering for your average person.

Secondly, your average person isn’t going to understand the concept(s) or benefits thereof of cloud services, databases, etc. until it’s packaged in a more consumable\understandable “format”. Much like Mr. Jobs did with “apps” and mobile internet in 2005.

Having said all that, this is all a perception of security not necessarily more secure. Just like any <insert the fortune x company you trust most> isn’t necessarily more secure than your <insert your most trusted mom and pop dev shop> smaller/unknown outfit.

If you have ideas on how to help alleviate the perception of risk in the interim I am all ears and am thankful for any feedback.

An idea brought up by a number of the pilots is to allow them to enter in their access token directly instead of their username/password. The system actually already supports this. The problem we don’t know of a way for the pilot to get the access token without giving the system or a 3rd party their username and password. Any ideas here would be very much welcomed.

Sorry for being so long winded and thanks again for the feedback.

I will also add that in my experience and opinion the reason why the “next big thing” is often delayed isn’t because the technology isn’t ready/available but because we’re waiting for it to come from the “big boys/girls” instead of venturing out and discovering it.

And just to be clear I am not saying any of what I am saying/doing is the “next big thing” but speaking generally and include myself in the group that is wobbling in the non-early adopter section of the bell curve as I get more set in my ways.

The problem we don’t know of a way for the pilot to get the access token without giving the system or a 3rd party their username and password. Any ideas here would be very much welcomed.

From what I saw in comments from another user's web app, that can be done by sending a JSON request to Tesla's API server. Putting together a simple open source python app to accomplish that should be pretty simple if anyone wants to take that on. Might do so myself if I get the time/motivation. Benefit of using python being that it can easily be distributed as source code that can run on absolutely anything, so it can be double checked for malicious code by anybody and, therefore, trusted.

Thanks for the replies about security and believe me I get it. During early development, we had a need for a specific model for testing that a friend of mine had. I asked him and he gave me the look like you want me to give you my what? Since we had been friends for a long time that quickly turned into no problem. If someone I have known for a long time has reservations I can certainly see how the general public would be very skeptical.

The long-term strategy to address this is to rather than have a tesla owner sign up on “our” system they would sign up for their own service that they owned, controlled, etc from the cloud provider of their choice. Essentially that means each owner would have their own database, services and “portals” and the owner would only really need to trust the cloud provider as far as data security. As the developer at that point we would just provide software updates and support.

Unfortunately, two big things stand in the way of this today. Not enough cloud providers are mature enough to offer this sort of “end-to-end” offering for your average person.

Secondly, your average person isn’t going to understand the concept(s) or benefits thereof of cloud services, databases, etc. until it’s packaged in a more consumable\understandable “format”. Much like Mr. Jobs did with “apps” and mobile internet in 2005.

Having said all that, this is all a perception of security not necessarily more secure. Just like any <insert the fortune x company you trust most> isn’t necessarily more secure than your <insert your most trusted mom and pop dev shop> smaller/unknown outfit.

If you have ideas on how to help alleviate the perception of risk in the interim I am all ears and am thankful for any feedback.

An idea brought up by a number of the pilots is to allow them to enter in their access token directly instead of their username/password. The system actually already supports this. The problem we don’t know of a way for the pilot to get the access token without giving the system or a 3rd party their username and password. Any ideas here would be very much welcomed.

Sorry for being so long winded and thanks again for the feedback.

You can get the API token in several ways... but they are not trivial ways. Teslalog.com allows this functionality. Please just allow the functionality and for those that can acquire their API keys, they can use it, and for those that can't, then they won't. There's no reason to not allow a more secure method, even if not everyone can use it.

Reactions: Andyw2100