Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cockpit non-app BETA 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we're looking for any ideas you all may have to add functionality to Alexa.

I have a number of, reasonably complex, scenarios that I currently have to fiddle about with Phone APP and car Dashboard manually. My drive-to-work is 80% regular, and therefore not regular enough to just have a schedule. I also have recharge at home scheduled for Off Peak (midnight to 7AM), but I also charge at work and when visiting work I do not charge at home (unless SOC is very low). (Charging at work is ... ermmm ... "cheaper" :) )

I'd like to be able to say:

"Charge car for trip to XXX (or XXX miles) leaving at YYY"

To avoid ambiguity perhaps Locations should be specifically created Favourites, rather than just "towns". That said, Postcode here in UK represents a very small area, so "navigate to XX9 9XX" would be accurate enough for charging calculations (if speech recognised it correctly! Google will translate "XX9 9XX" postcode to an address, so reporting back what that equates to would be a reliable double-check).

What I would want is that:
  • If journey is over 160 miles charge to 100%, otherwise charge to 90% (regardless of shorter distance, unless some other criteria applies [e.g. home charging and also visiting work)
  • Do not continue charging after Off Peak finishes (unless required for a journey). [Currently no way to control this]
  • Start charging at midnight to take advantage of Off Peak. (Start earlier if my leaving time would require it)
  • Make sure that, in cold weather, the car is charged for at least one hour before departure (to warm battery etc.)
  • (Do not delay start of charging beyond Off peak start, in case of powercut, but stop and restart to get final charge for car warming; perhaps always charge "enough for journey" initially and then "top up further" for subsequent car warming, if required)
  • Turn Climate On a suitable period before departure.
If car is not plugged in I need a response "Car needs plugging in" or similar.

I would like to [always] plug in overnight at home, but I don't (except when needed) because scheduled charging would kick in. I leave for work at 5:30 - 6:00 and in Winter its often cold, so being plugged in and some warming before I leave helps. Turning on Climate form Phone when i wake is a pain ... so asking Alexa for it, the night before, would be WAY better :) So for that scenario I might actually want an hour's battery charging (automatically [without specific prompt], if weather is cold) at 4:30 AM and also cabin warming at, say, 5:15 AM

if Alexa could PREVENT normal scheduled charging when not needed then I would always plug in (AND I would have to remember to specifically ask for charging, when needed). I'd be happy that Alexa automatically charged, at home, to say 50% if it had no other command.

It would be handy to also say "Charge to 100% at work today" - if I have a long evening trip (so after I leave home change the Limit to 100% whilst at work, and then drop it back to 90% afterwards - unless a subsequent counter-command is given). Also, the more complex situation where I won't be at work long enough to get to 100% charge "I will be at work for 3 hours, charge to 100%" - that would require charging at home [the night before] if the drive to work, and then 3 hours charge, would not achieve 100%.

I think it more likely that I should give a specific command each night - e.g. "Prepare car for work at 5AM" to allow Alexa to charge only if needed (low SOC or cold weather). Work is about 40 miles away, so only a very low SOC would actually require charging. But Wifee might have already asked Alexa something, or vice versa, so a status report from Alexa would be useful - "What is [the current] car program?" or just "Car status" - response might be "Car is currently charged to XX%, overnight charge for trip to work leaving at 5:30 AM, N hours stop at work and then 100% charge"

Maybe a detailed status report too - "Car currently charged to 74%; current command is an overnight charge to 100% for trip to XXX leaving at 5:30 AM; Car will charge from Midnight to approx 3AM until 90% achieved; because weather forecast for 5:30 AM tomorrow is below 10C charging has been split. Car will charge again from 4:30 AM until 5:30 AM and 100%, and climate will be turned on at 5:15 AM. When charging finishes at approx 5:30 the charging limit will be reduced back to 90%"

Can't say that I would use Honk Horn or Flash Lights from Alexa (I'm at home, can't think of a reason to do that, but maybe others can suggest one?) I have had situation where Wifee parked in a car park, I had no idea where car was, I used DIRECTIONS on Phone APP to find the car park, and then Flash Lights (could have used Honk too ... bit anti-social!) to find it; but "at home"?

Reactions: Newport Ryan
Hello Naonak,,

We're really sorry you are experiencing the inability to login with a token. Would be so kind as to go back to the site and try again. Keep in mind if you are trying to login with a token you should click on the "New Token User" link first, create a username/password and enter the token. This may take a few seconds but you should be automatically logged in. If that doesn't happen please create a ticket by clicking "get help" and that will help us understand the specifics of the issue.

Thanks again for your feedback and looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi,

i'm not sure what I'm supposed to do at this point. I can't create a new account because it says it already exists. I can't login because it says the Username/Password are wrong. What do you want me to do?

Hi,

i'm not sure what I'm supposed to do at this point. I can't create a new account because it says it already exists. I can't login because it says the Username/Password are wrong. What do you want me to do?

Would you mind private messaging me the email you are using to login. We will clear it out in the system and then you will be able to login. We just pushed out a new build that addresses the issues faced by those attempting to create an account through a token.

Again thanks again for your patience and have a fantastic evening.

Pushed out a new build among other things added an additional section in configuration that allows for the control of if, when and how data is collected from the vehicle. Basically there are two groups of settings. First the general collection settings are for the times the car is in park.

Second is drive stream settings which comes into play when the vehicle is not in park. in order for us to calculate performance based metrics we need to get as many vehicle positions as we can. On the other hand we don't to bombard Tesla or the vehicle with requests when the driver might be sitting stopped in traffic as an example. The "Performance Window" covers this as it allows for a user specified amount of time to collect performance metrics but then reverts to a user specified more conservative rate of collection after.

DataCollectionInfo.png

If you have had issues creating a user by a token we have address these issues. If you are getting the message about a bad password just private message me with the email you are using and we'll get it worked out.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

we're looking for any ideas you all may have to add functionality to Alexa

I had some further thoughts, based on historical logs.

It would be handy to know what Range is, based on recent averages. My Wh/mi decreases significantly in the Winter. Not sure what I would actually want to "ask" rather than review, as a grid of numbers / graphs on my PC, but perhaps:

Range currently compared to previous couple of months perhaps?. "90% charge is good for 180 miles, this has decreased by 20 miles over the past 90 days"

I'm not a conventional showoff, but there are some things I do like to do. One would be to ask Alex for info about the car, when I have people round that I would like to convert to EV. Something like this perhaps:

"Alexa, how much am I saving driving a Tesla?"

"You have driven 1,234 miles this month using $ 4.56 of electricity at home, $5.67 at work and $6,78 elsewhere. You charged at Superchargers N times saving [or costing] $7.89. Compared to Range Rover XXX you have saved $99. Over the previous 3 months the saving was $999 and you saved XXX hours refuelling time."

Maybe there are some other "status reports" like that which would be worthwhile. "How much time has my car spent at the Service Centre"? :eek:

So...how does one set the geofencing locations, preferences, etc.

Can anyone answer this? It doesn't have to be @Newport Ryan.

Also, I do have some other suggestions for you, Ryan, now that I've actually started to use the site.

The charging notifications currently look like this:

--
Charging Started @ 23.20. Charge should be compeleted by Jan 16 2017 8:00AM. Currently estimated range is 140.52.

Charge Completed. 92 (rated) miles & 28kwh(s) added. Charge Time 01:51:09. Estimated current range is 244.00 miles.
--

So...first there's a typo in the charge started email in the word completed. Next, I'm not sure what that 23.20 means in the "Charging started" message. If it represents 11:20 PM, it's way off. My charge started at 5:00 AM, so it's not just the wrong timezone, etc, and my timezone is set on the website.

I'd also like to see rated range and State of Charge % in both email messages. Estimated range is OK too, if some people like that, but to me rated range is more important. Including the actual time the charges start and stop would also be nice. Adding the odometer reading would be a plus too.

Also, as much as possible, the two messages should use a parallel format.

Here is my suggestion for how I'd like to see the two messages:

--
Charging started at 5:00 AM Eastern Time. Rated Range-120.46, Estimated Range-140.52. State of Charge-52%. Estimated Charge Time-3:00:00. Estimated Charge Completion Time--8:00 AM Eastern Time. Odometer-38,008.19 miles.

Charging completed at 6:51 AM Eastern Time. Rated Range-225.4, Estimated Range-244.0. State of Charge-90%. Actual Charge Time-1:51. kWh added-28.5. kWh used-31.0 Charge Efficiency-89.3%. Odometer-38,008.19 miles.
--

Thanks, Ryan.

Can anyone answer this? It doesn't have to be @Newport Ryan.

Also, I do have some other suggestions for you, Ryan, now that I've actually started to use the site.

The charging notifications currently look like this:

--
Charging Started @ 23.20. Charge should be compeleted by Jan 16 2017 8:00AM. Currently estimated range is 140.52.

Charge Completed. 92 (rated) miles & 28kwh(s) added. Charge Time 01:51:09. Estimated current range is 244.00 miles.
--

So...first there's a typo in the charge started email in the word completed. Next, I'm not sure what that 23.20 means in the "Charging started" message. If it represents 11:20 PM, it's way off. My charge started at 5:00 AM, so it's not just the wrong timezone, etc, and my timezone is set on the website.

I'd also like to see rated range and State of Charge % in both email messages. Estimated range is OK too, if some people like that, but to me rated range is more important. Including the actual time the charges start and stop would also be nice. Adding the odometer reading would be a plus too.

Also, as much as possible, the two messages should use a parallel format.

Here is my suggestion for how I'd like to see the two messages:

--
Charging started at 5:00 AM Eastern Time. Rated Range-120.46, Estimated Range-140.52. State of Charge-52%. Estimated Charge Time-3:00:00. Estimated Charge Completion Time--8:00 AM Eastern Time. Odometer-38,008.19 miles.

Charging completed at 6:51 AM Eastern Time. Rated Range-225.4, Estimated Range-244.0. State of Charge-90%. Actual Charge Time-1:51. kWh added-28.5. kWh used-31.0 Charge Efficiency-89.3%. Odometer-38,008.19 miles.
--

Thanks, Ryan.

Hey Andy,

Great suggestions on the drive notifications, thank you! They have been updated take a look at let us know what you think. If you have any other feedback on the other notifications don't hesitate.

Thanks again.

Hey Andy,

Great suggestions on the drive notifications, thank you! They have been updated take a look at let us know what you think. If you have any other feedback on the other notifications don't hesitate.

Thanks!

I will take a look at the new notifications, and continue to make suggestions with respect to the others.

I am still wondering, though, how to set geofencing locations.

Thanks again!

I started using this once the login with authentication token was added - thanks for the addition, so far I like the product.

Quick question. I understand (from Ryan's post) that "in order for us to calculate performance based metrics we need to get as many vehicle positions as we can." I see that the drive message reports results such as:
"### position read(s) dropped and ### position read(s) missed."

Can you tell me what that means? I assume that the # dropped is the # "recorded" - but what does the # "missed" relate to? How is one "missed". Is it GPS errors? Just curious.

Thanks for all of the development work.

I started using this once the login with authentication token was added - thanks for the addition, so far I like the product.

Quick question. I understand (from Ryan's post) that "in order for us to calculate performance based metrics we need to get as many vehicle positions as we can." I see that the drive message reports results such as:
"### position read(s) dropped and ### position read(s) missed."

Can you tell me what that means? I assume that the # dropped is the # "recorded" - but what does the # "missed" relate to? How is one "missed". Is it GPS errors? Just curious.

Thanks for all of the development work.

Thanks so much for the question, you're not the first one to ask.

A dropped vehicle position means the car/api returned the exact same data as the previous position and missed means that the TESLA api threw some sort of a temporary error.

Does that make sense?

Here are the two charging notifications I received:

--
Charging started at Jan 18 2017 5:01AM. Rated Range: 184.14mi, Estimated Range: 150.36mi. Battery Level: 74%. Estimated Charge Time: 8:45:01. Estimated Charge Completion Time: Jan 18 2017 1:46PM. Odometer: 38,064.44mi. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.
--

--
Charging completed at Jan 18 2017 5:49AM. Rated Range: 225.18mi, Estimated Range: 183.87mi. Battery Level: 90%. Actual Charge Time: -2:0*:0*. kWh added: 11. Odometer: 38,064.44mi. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.
--

So...there is something wrong with the formatting in the "Actual Charge Time." Also, would it be possible to include kWh used, as TeslaFi does, and then do the division and include the efficiency?

Also, I'm not sure why the estimate in the first message is so inaccurate. The estimate was 8 hours and 45 minutes. The charge took 48 minutes. I don't know if this had to do with the battery being cold or what, but if there is anything you can do to get a more accurate estimate, you should probably do it.

Finally, I'm asking for the third time now how do we set the locations for the geofencing. If you aren't answering because you haven't set it up yet, please just tell us that. Seeing you answer other posters on other topics, while ignoring that question is a bit disconcerting. It's OK if the answer is, "that's not ready yet."

Thanks!

Here are the two charging notifications I received:

--
Charging started at Jan 18 2017 5:01AM. Rated Range: 184.14mi, Estimated Range: 150.36mi. Battery Level: 74%. Estimated Charge Time: 8:45:01. Estimated Charge Completion Time: Jan 18 2017 1:46PM. Odometer: 38,064.44mi. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.
--

--
Charging completed at Jan 18 2017 5:49AM. Rated Range: 225.18mi, Estimated Range: 183.87mi. Battery Level: 90%. Actual Charge Time: -2:0*:0*. kWh added: 11. Odometer: 38,064.44mi. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.
--

So...there is something wrong with the formatting in the "Actual Charge Time." Also, would it be possible to include kWh used, as TeslaFi does, and then do the division and include the efficiency?

Also, I'm not sure why the estimate in the first message is so inaccurate. The estimate was 8 hours and 45 minutes. The charge took 48 minutes. I don't know if this had to do with the battery being cold or what, but if there is anything you can do to get a more accurate estimate, you should probably do it.

Finally, I'm asking for the third time now how do we set the locations for the geofencing. If you aren't answering because you haven't set it up yet, please just tell us that. Seeing you answer other posters on other topics, while ignoring that question is a bit disconcerting. It's OK if the answer is, "that's not ready yet."

Thanks!

Hi Andy,

Thanks again for the feedback!

Updates to the notifications have been pushed out to address the things you have reported, thanks again.

The Geo-Fence UI is also up now so you can create them from the configuration section.

geofenceinformation.png

Outside of these updates there are number of UI enhancements and bug fixes.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Updates to the notifications have been pushed out to address the things you have reported, thanks again.

There are still issues with these.

Below are my charge started and charge stopped notifications:

--
Charging started at Jan 19 2017 5:00AM. Rated Range: 188.89mi, Estimated Range: 161.54mi. Battery Level: 76%. Estimated Charge Time: 1:04:00 hour(s). Estimated Charge Completion Time: Jan 19 2017 6:04AM. Odometer: 38,087.09mi. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.
--

--
Charging completed at Jan 19 2017 5:43AM. Rated Range: 225.18mi, Estimated Range: 192.52mi. Battery Level: 90%. Actual Charge Time: -2:0*:0*. kWh added: 10. Overhead -3.79 miles, -1.18 kWh. Efficiency 111.66%. Odometer: 38,087.09mi. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.
--

The start email looks fine.

The stopped email still has issues with Actual Charge Time formating (asterisks, etc.). Also the overhead data and efficiency seem to be off.

The Geo-Fence UI is also up now so you can create them from the configuration section.

Thanks for getting this added, and addressing my question.

I'm wondering if you might improve the usability of the geofencing by allowing us to specify a location based on locations in the drive history. I'd like to be able to select a location the car has been at, name it, and geofence it. (For now I wound up getting the latitudes and longitudes from TeslaFi, but most of your users wouldn't be able to do that.)

Is there a way to set a radius around a geofenced location? If not, I think there probably should be.

Also, once a location is named this way, the drive notifications should use the names provided.

Just trying to help you improve your site.

Thanks!