Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cockpit non-app BETA 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla fans!

A group of friends and I put together a system for our own personal use to do things that can't be done in "apps". We've had a lot of fun putting it together and thought the community might be interested in the system as well as have new ideas given the capabilities of the architecture.

The system is browser based so you there is nothing to install and works on any device, platform or browser, accessible anywhere at anytime. We're also able to rapidly develop, deploy and troubleshoot much more quickly than classic "apps".

The "back-end" is cloud based in a highly secured location so there is no need to always have an app running and opens up an entirely new set of features, options and compute capabilities that we plan to build out based on our own roadmap and feedback from the community.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback!

http://beta.teslacockpit.com/?a=2

Especially since they are asking for our tesla.com username and password. That gives them full capability to login to mytesla as well as remote access our cars via the tesla app. This website/offer appears to have security vulnerabilities all over it. @Newport_Ryan has only ever posted these two posts. In the cybersecurity world, some might call this Phishing....

Especially since they are asking for our tesla.com username and password. That gives them full capability to login to mytesla as well as remote access our cars via the tesla app. This website/offer appears to have security vulnerabilities all over it. @Newport_Ryan has only ever posted these two posts. In the cybersecurity world, some might call this Phishing....
I agree.

I have a hard time giving out my login and password to reputable app developers on this forum, I wouldn't even click on that link from a new member.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Screenshots are up and great idea.

The particular topic of security has been something that we thought about from day one in terms of development and architecture as we intended this to used for us personally, including data of our friends and family. I won't go into the detail and invite attacks but our little team has decades of experience in enterprise software develop, operations and security.

Having said all that nothing is hack proof and personal data should be treated the same way we treat money and deposited accordingly. If you don't want to continue to use the system all you need to do is change your password at tesla.

As far as who, as I mentioned we're a group of techy friends, tesla enthusiasts and passionate the Tesla Cockpit. If you want to learn more about me personally my website is Ryan J Jones | Home

Thanks again for your feedback!

Nothing appears on that page but an all-red web page with a login request for our tesla.com credentials. There is an expandable flag to the right that says "get help" which opens a search box. There is no description of a feature set, no pictures, nothing. Any page we try to point to (links you give us) all go to https://beta.teslacockpit.com/Login. It appears your entire site is behind the login and inaccessible unless you have logged in, so you have some code problems on your site driving everything to the login page.

I would offer that if you are trying to put something like this out to the community, you might want to follow the model some of the other app developers have used. They have extensively detailed what they are doing (including pictures) in these forums. They have also addressed how their system uses the Tesla credentials to fetch the relevant data and how they are addressing users security concerns. As it stands now, you are putting nothing out except:

- you are a group of enthusiasts who have developed something really cool
- trust us with your login credentials

Links you are sending us to which supposedly show screenshots and feature set data don't work which speaks to either (a) your lack of knowledge about your own website's code, (b) your lack of testing what you are putting out, and or (c) your lack of understanding about the very real security risks you are creating. None of those inspire a lot of confidence in you or your team. You and your team may have the coolest thing out here but I would suggest a bit more attention to detail and steps to build confidence in you and the product.

Oh Ryan, you poor confused person. I looked at your personal web page (and your resume) and can factually state I have been programming HTML since over a decade before you started college in 1996 (full disclosure, I started college in 1985 so I am also likely over a decade older than you). When I click on the links you have provided from my tablet (Safari and Mercury browsers) and my desktop (Firefox, Chrome and IE), the following website appears.
Given that I apparently am so stupid as to click on a URL, might you tell me where the URL is on this page? When looking at the page's source code (and yes, I am old school enough, that I write web pages in straight code vice relying on URL script programs so I actually do look at it), the ONLY static URL links on the page are the "Support" URL link beneath the "Enter Cockpit" button which points to a mailto: link and the link to clicky.com at the very bottom of the page (cut off in picture) from the clicky website analytics widget you put on your page. You also have some lovely java scripts on the page which you obtained from various script resource directories on the web.

Given your knowledge, might you tell me where this static URL I am too stupid to find and click on is located? I'll even give you a web design tip for free -- if you build a website where the average user can't locate the links you want them to click on...it's a poorly designed website.

If I'm wrong and any other user of this forum has the links Ryan is posting above going to anything other than the login page/script given the CURRENT website code and settings, I'll be more than happy to post a full retraction of my comments right here in this thread.

Go to the root URL without /login

I know (I took at look at his root URL). My point was that both of the links HE posted in this forum don't point there. He's sending people to http://beta.teslacockpit.com/?a=2 and https://beta.teslacockpit.com/?=2. The problem is he's not posting a link to http://beta.teslacockpit.com. It's his error for posting bad links in this forum. See the links he put above in posts 1, 2 and 8 to this forum.... It's why I told him that the current links he is posting in these threads aren't working.

I know (I took at look at his root URL). My point was that both of the links HE posted in this forum don't point there. He's sending people to http://beta.teslacockpit.com/?a=2.. The problem is he's not posting a link to http://beta.teslacockpit.com. It's his error for posting bad links in this forum.

When I click his link now, it takes me to the root. So idk, not insulating who is at fault, was just trying to help you get to the page he was talking about.

I think you went a little overboard here.

Update -- he changed his site settings, the links are now pointing to the static webpage vice rolling over to the login page.

Certainly can appreciate your point in my going overboard, but that was in reply to a comment aimed at me telling me I was too stupid to click on a static URL and was clearly only capable of using apps from the app store.... (see his comment immediately above mine).

Those of us who were interested in what he was posting about earlier today expressed concerns because what he was sending us to was a login page which asked for Tesla.com credentials. If (and this does assume a person not knowledgeable about computers) a person had gone there and just entered in their Tesla credentials, they would have compromised themselves and their car's security without even knowing they were doing so.

I've looked at his current site and it may be something that appeals to some owners, and of course there are other owners who have no desire to use anything (website or smart phone app) for their cars at all. To each his or her own. It was the obvious potential security issue that certainly could have been a phishing attack to collect Tesla owner's login credentials from a new user making his first post ever on this forum that raised my (and several other forum member's) concerns.

Last edited:
A big thank you to those of you those that made Tesla Cockpit part of your experience.

Based on the feedback we are going to focus on the following in the very short term;

UI enhancements;

· “placeholders” in module(s) in which no data currently exists rather than completely hiding them.

· “Captcha” authentication upon login

Notifications

· Customized templates for notifications so the information sent for each notification can be customized.

Drive

· Live map not updating in google chrome on Mac.

A big thank you to those of you those that made Tesla Cockpit part of your experience.

Based on the feedback we are going to focus on the following in the very short term;

UI enhancements;

· “placeholders” in module(s) in which no data currently exists rather than completely hiding them.

· “Captcha” authentication upon login

Notifications

· Customized templates for notifications so the information sent for each notification can be customized.

Drive

· Live map not updating in google chrome on Mac.

Did you see my question above about the 0 to 60 tracking?

I might try it for that feature alone![/QUOTE]
Interesting... how does it calculate "best 0 to 60"? Is that in seconds?

I might try it for that feature alone!
Interesting... how does it calculate "best 0 to 60"? Is that in seconds?

I might try it for that feature alone!
Hello and thanks for the reply. Each time the car goes from Park and back to Park again that is a drive segment. The best 0 to 60 is calculated by taking the initial vehicle position at 0 speed and the next vehicle position at speed 60 and subtracting the timestamps for each drive segment. We've found that the better the internet connection to the car the more samples can be taken increasing accuracy. 3 bars gets you generally 5 samples per second which is 150ms time slices and conservatively accurate to the second.

This is an area we would like to be more accurate in.