Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla coercing software updates!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly did you lose that you liked? I have only gained ,almost every month since owning this in the last 18 months. I gained a dash Cam, then again sentry mode then again dog mode then I gained text messaging then I gained movie theaters Netflix hulu YouTube games etc etc etc I have never lost a single thing.

They “gained” a battery less likely to catch on fire. They’re just Debbie Downers about it. ;)

What exactly did you lose that you liked? I have only gained ,almost every month since owning this in the last 18 months. I gained a dash Cam, then again sentry mode then again dog mode then I gained text messaging then I gained movie theaters Netflix hulu YouTube games etc etc etc I have never lost a single thing.

One of the biggest things we lost is working web browser. Bluetooth now often needs volume adjustment before other side of phone call can hear us. Some lost 10% range of car or more. Update capped max range to about 60 miles on some S60's and high milage ones are out of warranty so they need to buy a new battery for 15-17k if they need to drive more than 50 miles a trip. Many people with older batteries report about 1/2 supercharging speed or less. Some paid for the performance upgrade but now have a regular model since battery capped output from update.

You might be fortunate enough to simply buy a new car every 3 years like a new iPhone. But some people here bought their 100+k cars to drive more than 10 years and expect the same performance that was promised.

Model 3 is a bit different from Model S.

So is this a model S/x issue? Maybe that's why I'm not familiar with it as most of the groups I belong to are for model 3.

correct, this is also in the S section ;) Also early on all updates brough new stuff for us like it currently is for you. However you may see things change by the time Cybertruck/roadster 2 are out and 18 months into software that is focused on the new offerings.

However Model 3 may have better future support, Model 3 owners eclipse S/X owners in numbers. Many S/X owners are feeling left behind since they funded the start of tesla and the new updates are for mcu2 and model3 cars. I have a pretty good feeling there would not have been Model 3 if not for the support of S/X.

correct, this is also in the S section ;) Also early on all updates brough new stuff for us like it currently is for you. However you may see things change by the time Cybertruck/roadster 2 are out and 18 months into software that is focused on the new offerings.

However Model 3 may have better future support, Model 3 owners eclipse S/X owners in numbers. Many S/X owners are feeling left behind since they funded the start of tesla and the new updates are for mcu2 and model3 cars. I have a pretty good feeling there would not have been Model 3 if not for the support of S/X.
I agree. You guys made my car possible.

But didn't you guys in the S just get an upgrade to 390 miles distance?

The new S got upgraded batteries. That physical changed battery/motor update does not help the older ones get more range. Actually I didn't help with the initial investments. Too expensive for me :) I'm very thankful a early purchaser got his Performance S and then sold me the S I now drive daily :).

Incase your interested, I've documented a range lost issue with this car I purchased.
S60 Battery issue Car Build

Reactions: ICE collector
The new S got upgraded batteries. That physical changed battery/motor update does not help the older ones get more range. Actually I didn't help with the initial investments. Too expensive for me :) I'm very thankful a early purchaser got his Performance S and then sold me the S I now drive daily :).

Incase your interested, I've documented a range lost issue with this car I purchased.
S60 Battery issue Car Build
I believe I read that the current model s has the same batteries but had an internal chemical change in the mfg of the battery.....is that what you mean?

Still on 2012.12. Reminders every day, but no warnings so far. I'm in Europe. This car is still under warranty. Last Model S I had had the last firmware with 0 AP nags. Went in for a recall, specifically told them not to update the firmware, had them write it down on the intake form, take one guess what happened...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200217-203757.jpg
    Screenshot_20200217-203757.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 115
Normally, without an update, all existing features will not get any better and they all will stay the same as if they were not updated at all.

It's opposite from Windows Operating System updates: I updated a to Windows XP and my old printer for Windows 98 was no longer compatible. I then reinstalled Windows 98 back and everything was the same: I did not lose the use of my printer for staying the same!

That's what Tesla should do: Old versions will stay and work the old ways with no loss of any old features.

I'd be careful comparing with Windows - The most bloated and wasteful OSs out there! I've just had to reinstall several legacy programs that were working well but got uninstalled by Ten last update.

Sounds
Ok, so just because YOU haven't heard of it, or YOU haven't experienced it, it never happened? Yeah, that's logical.

If you think the reduced range and charging speeds are just in peoples' minds, go do some research and read up on it and then come back and make a claim that it's a "phantom problem". And no, it wasn't the superchargers that were changed.. it's been well documented that the firmware updates TO THE CARS did this. You are so misinformed it's not funny.

And finally, a Tesla is first and foremost A CAR. A MEANS OF TRANSPORT. The firmware update feature really is no different than updating the OS on an iPhone, which is a PHONE. Stop trying to make the firmware update feature bigger than it is, and for those of us significantly and negatively affected by the updates a reason not to have bought the car in the first place.

I'm done here.
Sounds like you should get rid of that piece of s..t and buy a car that doesn’t get updated regularly. If you have issues with a product or company, move on.

I’m fairly sure if you own any modern car and have ‘issues’ the dealer will read the codes and likely update ALL the firmware in the car without asking. Saying: engine control module firmware 1.2.3.74.1b fixes your observed engine stutter. Oh and windows XP (dead man walking)

Reactions: arghx7
Seriously. Software releases fix bugs. Do you think Tesla has found no situations where there was a bug on an opportunity to improve a safety feature such as lane-change warnings and cruise control? Over the 8 months I've had my Tesla I've seen numerous improvements in the UI, like much more voice control, Spotiy, and improved warnings for changing into an occupied lane or having an occupied lane encroach on me. Also, major improvements in regenerative braking.

For those of you who refuse to do updates, if something fails on your car and you get into an accident will you then decide to Sue Tesla despite the fix for that having been in one of the updates?
From what others write, the possibility of an upgrade worsening the car's behaviour is higher than the opposite. 2019.16.2 (should've stopped upgrading earlier, I know).

Reactions: kavyboy
I hope you're still using outdated software on your phone, and of course WindowsXP on your Business Computer. You wouldn't want to protect anything important if it costs a little more in electricity!
Apple and Microsoft don't take away 10% of my operation radius or make me sit 25% longer time at a SuC far away from my home just to reduce the risk of them having to swap my battery on warranty.

Still on 2012.12. Reminders every day, but no warnings so far. I'm in Europe. This car is still under warranty. Last Model S I had had the last firmware with 0 AP nags. Went in for a recall, specifically told them not to update the firmware, had them write it down on the intake form, take one guess what happened...
My rear motor needed to be replaced on warranty. They told me "we'll update your firmware, or we won't do any work on that rear motor". Talk about a gun to your head.
That was the worst car-experience I ever had when I received the car back with ver. 9 software. Double the number of screen touches for doing every day tasks and no more having 2 apps of my own choice on the screen.
Later I updated to get Dog Mode (which is great), and found out just after that I had lost 10% of battery capacity. Since then no more updates for me (on 2019.16.2 so still no SuC throttling) until the threatened feature crippling really kicks in.