Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Karpathy on working with Elon Musk: "He's an incredible person, I'm still trying to map out his superpowers. Incredible intuition even with lack of information. Great judgement. He's a double edged sword because he wants the future yesterday. You have to have a certain attitude to tolerate that. If you can, you will thrive at Tesla."

I'll trust Karpathy over some anon on the interwebs. After all, Karpathy led the traffic control, fsd beta, and Tesla Vision features, which are above and beyond what any other company can achieve now and (for the next 1-3 years IMO).

Karpathy is not prone to hyperbole. He speaks of the challenges and unknowns of fsd development in his talks. I trust his intuition. He's also sacrificed a lot for Elon, Tesla, and the pursuit of fsd. You can tell he's poured his heart and soul into it, so we have to wonder if Elon is such a horrible person to work for, why does Karpathy "fall for it."

Elon is his boss. I would expect him to praise Elon in public interviews.

Unless you're planning to invest in Tesla, why is this even important? Musk is the titular head of Tesla, which I appreciate, but no one asks me to swear fealty to him.

The issue is that Elon / Tesla have blurred the line between customer and investor. Talking $3-$10K for something that will be delivered "in the future" with no timeframe? That is an investment, but it wasn't sold that way.

This is a discussion about FSD and Tesla's customers. It's important because we have accidentally invested in Tesla, and thus Elon, and the things he says as CEO make a difference, particularly when he is specifically talking about FSD timeframes. Just like his tweets and behavior move the Tesla stock overall when he talks about the future, they matter for FSD investors as well.

Reactions: diplomat33
I know a handful who've worked directly with him.

Dude is highly competent.
I've worked with and hired multiple people from Tesla.
He's highly competent.
He also doesn't design everything.
He's also awful to work under if you're not one of the top couple people.
Can you imagine being someone working on Autonomy in 2017 and hearing FSD is just a few months away? That is crushing if you have any ethics or integrity.

It's a very mixed bag (like most companies). It's not some magic place run by an infallible, perfect leader.

Interesting, thanks. But what happens when you disengage AP with the gear changer while your foot is not maintaining acceleration with the pedal? How does the car stay at speed and then how would you go from not using the pedals at all, to slowing down the car with the accelerator that isn't currently pushed at all? Does the car just gradually come to a stop until you accelerate again? I.e. if I'm going 85 on AP and disengage AP, do I have to immediately slam on the accelerator to make sure the car doesn't quickly stop?
You get a feel for where the accelerator needs to be to maintain speeds. When I disengage I start pressing down on the pedal to maintain speed right before I tap up on the shifter.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I've worked with and hired multiple people from Tesla.
He's highly competent.
He also doesn't design everything.
He's also awful to work under if you're not one of the top couple people.
Can you imagine being someone working on Autonomy in 2017 and hearing FSD is just a few months away? That is crushing if you have any ethics or integrity.

It's a very mixed bag (like most companies). It's not some magic place run by an infallible, perfect leader.

Totally agree. I wouldn't work there.

Elon is his boss. I would expect him to praise Elon in public interviews.

Karpathy has rarely talked about Elon. In fact, that's the first time I've heard him say anything about Elon or his working conditions. Karpathy also avoids interacting with Elon on social media or in any media... If Elon was simply his boss, he doesn't need to go as far as describing Elon with "super powers."

Karpathy knows he can work anywhere he wants. He even took the job anticipating only lasting a couple months because of the pressure of the job.

Karpathy has rarely talked about Elon. In fact, that's the first time I've heard him say anything about Elon or his working conditions. Karpathy also avoids interacting with Elon on social media or in any media... If Elon was simply his boss, he doesn't need to go as far as describing Elon with "super powers."

It could simply be complimenting the boss or maybe Karpathy is a genuine Elon fanboy? Regardless, that is just Karpathy's opinion of Elon. Not sure why it matters.

LOL

if he's independanty wealthy, then maybe. but usually it IS about the money and/or stock.

what world do you live in? by the things you say, I really wonder sometimes.
Passed a certain point, money is just numbers.

If I'm making $50k at a small company in a relaxing role, I might be inclined to jump ship to a more stressful role at a larger company for $100k more.

If I'm making $250k working on something I enjoy waking up to do every day, I'd be less willing to gamble away that position for another $100k if the position was offered for somewhere that didn't align with my interests.

levels.fyi puts "Sr Staff Engineer" at Tesla at $465k. If I were making even that amount (he probably makes more), there wouldn't be much more money you could offer me to change roles from something I believed in.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
pretty sure almost no working engineer makes even half that, at tesla.

bay area salaries max out at $250k (give or take) when you are a top TOP engineer and 'irreplaceable' (sort of) to them.

normal salaries are $120k to $180k (again, a very very rough number). tesla tends to underpay from what I'm told by ex employees (and seeing their linkedin salaries for jobs).

I have to tell those who are NOT from the bay area: that's just BARELY enough to live on and also have some money saved for the future.

bay area salaries just barely pay for your kids' schools, the house, the cost of living here.

the ONLY way you can start to think about leaving your job and quitting is if you have serious stock options. likely, the key players have those golden handcuffs to keep them there.

but the salaries for telsa are quite low in the industry, overall. that's one reason they attract freshers (new workers in the field).

the 465 figure is 100% fantasy. or, it includes stock value (which still sounds quite low for a high valued stock oriented company).

the 465 figure is 100% fantasy. or, it includes stock value (which still sounds quite low for a high valued stock oriented company).
Pay at Tesla is inflated right now because of the stock run up over the last 24 months. They issue RSU's like most big tech companies, and employees do well when stocks go up much more than expected, until the issued RSUs adjust and start coming alive 12+ months in the future.

But $300k+ for a senior tech person isn't that out of line in modern tech. Of course, neither are $3M starter homes.

But $300k+ for a senior tech person isn't that out of line in modern tech. Of course, neither are $3M starter homes.
maybe I need a pay raise, then. lol

starter homes are still in the $1M range. STARTER. unless you mean palo alto and that's never really a 'starter' is it?

in my experience, being in the bay area for nearly 30 years (coming from the boston tech area, before that) - that's still a pretty high salary, even for a manager in the bay area.

again, maybe I'm behind the curve or the times - but lets not have the non-bay area folks think that pay is THAT high around here. its not. not in my experience, at least. a search on linked-in, for example, back when tesla and others were posting salary -ranges- (if you can believe them) - there was a $200k ceiling for almost all the car related tech jobs around here. usually it maxed out around $175 for a senior staff engineer. again, very rough numbers and they do NOT include ANY mention of stock - this is just pure salary we are talking, not even any annual 'bonus', etc.

maybe I need a pay raise, then. lol

starter homes are still in the $1M range. STARTER. unless you mean palo alto and that's never really a 'starter' is it?

in my experience, being in the bay area for nearly 30 years (coming from the boston tech area, before that) - that's still a pretty high salary, even for a manager in the bay area.

again, maybe I'm behind the curve or the times - but lets not have the non-bay area folks think that pay is THAT high around here. its not. not in my experience, at least. a search on linked-in, for example, back when tesla and others were posting salary -ranges- (if you can believe them) - there was a $200k ceiling for almost all the car related tech jobs around here. usually it maxed out around $175 for a senior staff engineer. again, very rough numbers and they do NOT include ANY mention of stock - this is just pure salary we are talking, not even any annual 'bonus', etc.

Yeah "most" jobs are probably limited in base salary ceiling to around $200 to $250k. But then the big profitable companies give more and more away in stock and bonuses. Facebook and the like could easily give someone $100k + in stock per year, plus a $100k sign on bonus. So there's definitely plenty of software engineers making in sum over $350k a year.

Those are the people who can afford houses around here!

You're right that base salaries cap out at around high 100s. Beyond that is almost always some sort of stock they promise to give you if you stick around. The figures I mentioned include the yearly stock units (RSUs) as part of the total compensation.

$240k is the median total salary across all levels and companies here. I make a little above that as a mid level engineer at one of the larger companies; though only $170k is from the base. I have no problem believing that senior and principal engineers make more than $100k, $200k, or more than I do.

Buying a house (that I would actually want to live in) where I live in Fremont would be difficult if not impossible for me. I rent a three bedroom house for $3,500, but the estimated mortgage on Zillow is almost twice that. My landlord is a senior level software engineer manager at Tesla, so I have to assume that he's making a bit more than me.

Money doesn't work the same in the bay as if does everywhere else. $260k is still a lot, but it's nothing like having a $260k salary almost anywhere else in the country. It is enough, with my current lifestyle as a single adult, to where I mostly don't have to think about finances. But I don't have kids and I'm certainly not thinking of buying a house.

a friend who was at cruise told me of his sign-on bonus. it was quite a large numbers (less than 100k, but you can still be a large number even below 100k. ...and non-bay area folks are wondering: "WTF!")

annual bonuses can be nice, too. but the sign-on and annuals are not something you can count on. even the stock, for most places, is a huge gamble. to own a house around here, it takes a past stock success and/or a good high base salary. and the race-to-the-bottom for salary is still in effect, so dont expect super salary numbers, even in this so-called labor shortage.

if one could deal with working and commuting actually *in* the city (san fran) then you'd be looking at cruise if you were job hunting. they do have a great comp pkg and they're one of the ones to bet on (imho!)