Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's much like any recall from any car maker... at least for physical recalls. Some take a long time to complete based on parts availability but you can't sue them for refusing to fix the issue if they ARE actively fixing it as quickly as their parts and service capacity allow-- even if that means it takes a while. Doubly so here (compared to a recall) since there's no safety problem endangering the driver.

How many years is reasonable? I'm sure you could sue any car manufacturer if they were deploying recalls unreasonably slowly, or else every car manufacturer would just deploy one car a year for recalls they don't want to do, claim parts availability. Tesla has new parts btw, since they are producing new cars with them.

I do think if they don't deliver L4 anytime soon (and I don't think they can, esp. on HW3) then you will begin to see some lawsuits over it on exactly that 'reasonable' basis from those who bought FSD prior to March 2019. The "good" news for Tesla I guess is that's a relatively small # of people, and they only paid ~3k for it.

Yea, $3K for the FSD option, but customer may have chosen a Model S over say a Toyota Corolla primarily due to FSD. Model S was the cheapest "FSD capable" car available at the time. Maybe they were a retired couple who only bought it so the car can drive them around as they get older. Now they are stuck buying another expensive car, a Mercedes, to even get Level 3 ADAS.

How many years is reasonable?

That is, literally, for a jury to decide if/when someone files a lawsuit over it.

Tesla has new parts btw, since they are producing new cars with them.

Yes- they are... which is why they don't have enough spare ones to do all upgrades at once without shutting down production lines which is unreasonable. Also, they don't have infinite spare service capacity either.

Yea, $3K for the FSD option, but customer may have chosen a Model S over say a Toyota Corolla primarily due to FSD.

I wish you the best of luck convincing a jury you bought a $100,000 7-seat full sized quick luxury sedan over a $20,000 slow econobox primarily due to a feature that did not exist at the time and had no promised delivery date.

Had cars that had hood ordainments at the end of a squared off hood where you could see the end of the hood.

🤣
I never had a car with a hood ornament, yet still managed not to bump into things, either forward or reverse. I guess parking a car without assistance joins such other arcane knowledge like map reading folding and long division.

I never had a car with a hood ornament, yet still managed not to bump into things, either forward or reverse. I guess parking a car without assistance joins such other arcane knowledge like map reading folding and long division.
How close to the front bumper to the high curb can you reliably park without any cameras or laser dots? A foot, 6 inches, 1 inch, 0.5 inch?

Agreed, L4 is the minimum that fits what they described in the pre-3-19 stuff.

No, it's not.

See the "both long and short trips" line for example-- no court would find 100 feet in one place a long trip.

But moreso, note the "in almost all circumstances" language.

They could probably get away with "unless it needs to go on an interstate to park" though I can't imagine when you'd need to as a limit... or maybe even "except in very heavy rain"

But "only within 100 feet of our factory" would not fit "in almost all circumstances" nor would any other INSANELY heavy georestrictions.
I meant if L4 definition allows operating only in geo-fenced areas and there is nothing in said definition about a minimum size of the L4 geo fenced area, then Tesla could use this to claim delivering L4. This is Tesla after all, the guys who advertised motor horsepower for cars, only to admit years later that was very literally the maximum power those motors could ever produce, if they were in a better car, with a better battery, and only for some limited amount of time. If you give Tesla a way to literally and minimally interpret a definition to their benefit, they will. I've been telling people since 2016 that FSD capable car means FSD capable floor mats, seats, hood, etc - 90% of the car is FSD ready and Tesla will at some point claim that's close enough to meet their promise of "FSD capable" cars they sold. After all, 90% is pretty close, right? ;) Early FSD cars don't even have redundant actuation btw, not something Tesla is retrofitting either, they will use it as "evil regulation preventing cars without redundancy from enabling FSD". Ok, some did have a secondary harness, but harness wiring was not sufficient to use it (wires were not the same as the primary harness).

There's been quite a few videos from influencers that show it working pretty good.

But there's one from a UK dealer that shows a lot more of it's flaws. Worth a view.

This really does look par for the course as far as Elon's brain-fart features, pretty much as I would expect it work based on all other "coming soon via software update" features Tesla has delivered in the past. Tesla/Elon usually delivers a limited subset of functionality which works 70% of the time - this is why they continue to label those features Beta forever, because they are just experiments. This one doesn't work 70% of time yet, but it will in 5-8 years. It's funny the guy used the same phrase my relatives did after testing out the vision based park assist - "Better than nothing".

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Turn on your rear view camera as you are pulling in and use the line that separates your driveway with your garage as a reference point for how far to pull in. You can even add a piece of tape to the ground as a reference point.

I look at my rear view for that line between the garage floor and driveway that aligns perfectly with the door. When I see about 12” in the display I know I’m well clear of the garage door and yet have enough space to open the trunk without hitting the door.

I also have tape on drivers side on garage floor to know that I’m far enough form left to know I can open door without worry of hitting anything and likewise same on right side for passengers.

How close to the front bumper to the high curb can you reliably park without any cameras or laser dots? A foot, 6 inches, 1 inch, 0.5 inch?
Personally, within an inch or two, reliably. Really not trying to be an arse about this, and I know nobody on this thread thinks this is an valid answer (but you did ask..) but people genuinely have been parking cars with no assistance systems for the entire existence of motor vehicles. It’s not witchcraft, it’s just a skill like any other.

Incidentally, seeing an object and predicting its position after it is out of sight based on the movement of things you can see is exactly how the vision park assist will deal with the blind spots.

I can’t find the exact video but this is close enough.

The original video is an old black and white with a professional Lambo racing team driver parking the car similarly to this video while putting it into a a tiny garage only wide enough to just get the car in.

These Lambo drivers know how to park.

I meant if L4 definition allows operating only in geo-fenced areas and there is nothing in said definition about a minimum size of the L4 geo fenced area, then Tesla could use this to claim delivering L4.

Except they never promised "L4"

They promised taking long and short trips, in almost all circumstances, without requiring anything of the person in the drivers seat.

And while by SAE standards that would require at least L4, it ALSO requires a non-trivial ODD.... so no, they couldn't do "it's done because it works in a single, tiny, geofenced place" and be in line with what they explicitly promised.

This is Tesla after all, the guys who advertised motor horsepower for cars, only to admit years later that was very literally the maximum power those motors could ever produce

They did pay out a lawsuit over this FYI.

They did pay out a lawsuit over this FYI.
Care to provide a source for this?

I had a P85D until a month ago (bought it new). Tesla did not pay anything out to me, nor was I notified of any settlement. You might be thinking about a settlement in Europe by a dozen or so people, where Tesla did pay out. In the US you'd have to sue Tesla separately and the European case cannot be used as precedent since it was a settlement, not an admission by Tesla of any wrongdoing.

I can’t find the exact video but this is close enough.

The original video is an old black and white with a professional Lambo racing team driver parking the car similarly to this video while putting it into a a tiny garage only wide enough to just get the car in.

These Lambo drivers know how to park.

True 360 view ;) No way to stick your head out the roof of the Taycan though. Also, Taycans means not just for sunny weather, so it would be unpleasant to do in rainy Seattle for example (though I must say, the Taycan's cameras get all wet in the rain anyways so it's already miserable to park the Taycan in the rain).

Care to provide a source for this?

I had a P85D until a month ago (bought it new). Tesla did not pay anything out to me, nor was I notified of any settlement. You might be thinking about a settlement in Europe by a dozen or so people, where Tesla did pay out. In the US you'd have to sue Tesla separately and the European case cannot be used as precedent since it was a settlement, not an admission by Tesla of any wrongdoing.

It was in Europe yes. but you're off by an order of magnitude on the # of customers involved.

Unsure why you'd have to sue separately in the US- class actions are a thing here. In fact Tesla paid out one in the US to EAP owners whose features were delayed from the 2016 original on-sale date. I think the difference is technically it DOES have that # of HP from a certain point of view and the US has fewer consumer protections compared to some European countries to ding folks who are "WELL TECHNICALLY IT DID THE THING..." but I haven't dug too deeply into any attempts in US courts on the issue (the fact there's nothing easy to find suggests I'm on to something with how much less a case US consumers have on that specific claim though)

It was in Europe yes. but you're off by an order of magnitude on the # of customers involved.

Unsure why you'd have to sue separately in the US- class actions are a thing here. In fact Tesla paid out one in the US to EAP owners whose features were delayed from the 2016 original on-sale date. I think the difference is technically it DOES have that # of HP from a certain point of view and the US has fewer consumer protections compared to some European countries to ding folks who are "WELL TECHNICALLY IT DID THE THING..." but I haven't dug too deeply into any attempts in US courts on the issue (the fact there's nothing easy to find suggests I'm on to something with how much less a case US consumers have on that specific claim though)
I stand corrected, 126 owners got paid, rather than "a dozen or so". My point was that while Tesla paid out on a lawsuit somewhere in a world, it doesn't mean all, or even most customers got a payout.

The fact the notoriously litigious US didn't have such a settlement suggests that Teslas behavior was less clearly illegal under US law.
Or the fact that Tesla makes very expensive to litigate, making it not worth while. Remember how much they fought the yellow screens. Think Elon's defense against the lawsuit of the Tai diver - Elon spent way more than $75K the driver was seeking to defend himself. Not enough P85D owners in the US to make it worth while for a lawyer to drive a class action suit.

Or the fact that Tesla makes very expensive to litigate, making it not worth while. Remember how much they fought the yellow screens. Think Elon's defense against the lawsuit of the Tai diver - Elon spent way more than $75K the driver was seeking to defend himself. Not enough P85D owners in the US to make it worth while for a lawyer to drive a class action suit.

Then why was it worth it for the lawyers to sue of the fact EAP features were almost 1 whole year late? That wasn't much money either in the end.

Or that the arbitration clause is such that it's not worth it for lawyers to get involved.

See again- it worth it for the lawyers to sue of the fact EAP features were almost 1 whole year late- arb clause didn't seem to get in the way there.

I think the fact they had a clear cause of action under US law was the more relevant part-- and less of one in the other cases being discussed.

Then why was it worth it for the lawyers to sue of the fact EAP features were almost 1 whole year late? That wasn't much money either in the end.
If I was to guess, a lot, I mean orders of magnitude, more EAP customers than P85D. P85D which was the most expensive of the 3 trims, with the largest delta ($25K) from the 85D (60 to 85D was $10K delta). Also, P85D was only sold for a fraction of time EAP was sold.