Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla confirms new models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.

I wonder how much detail we'll get on the Tesla chassis as this will be the critical partner to the drivetrain in the success of future vehicles.

I must admit, I thought that they would continue to license the aluminium bonding technology from Lotus. Seems such an obvious choice.

I think it makes sense that they move toward an entirely in house build. If they are truly serious about branding (and it seems they are), it doesn't make sense to be so closely linked to another car company. Uninformed people still refer to the roadster as an electric Elise. Some might agree with that assessment, I certainly don't. But, they do need to create their "stand alone" car company.

Last edited:
Tesla to work with other brands, Roadster priced at £108k | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

CAR Online has seen sketches of the Model S hatchback. It echoes the Roadster’s front end styling with very similar, almost horizontal lamps but with a deeper, oval front grille. The profile is coupe-like, with a BMW-style Hofmeister kink in the rear side glass.

lol

Tesla will confirm the location of the factory for the Model S in the next few weeks, but it will be in the San Francisco Bay area, and not in Mexico as previously rumoured.

Last edited:
That article was jammed full of a lot of info. Tesla has plans for an SUV in 2015? Other manufacturers are interested in the powertrain? A Roadster 1.5? All of this is very interesting...

Still, it doesn't mean much until they figure out production of the Roadster. Isn't it 12 days till September when ramping up of the new drive train Roadsters is set to begin?

We already have Powertrain 1.5 now(ish). Shouldn't it be Roadster 2.0?

Model S five-seat electric hatchback on sale by 2010 in both the United States and Europe. It will be priced at around $60,000 (£31,800) with a 160-mile range and $68,000 (£36,000) with a 220-mile range, with a 300-mile version to follow. All will have a sub-six second 0-60mph time.

300 miles. That would be fantastic for around 2012-13

Last edited:
CLS trunk:

48.jpg
49.jpg

CLS is a good looking car. Too bad Whitestar will not look like that. But DS's comments go back to Whitestar actually being a HATCHBACK in the truest form. And that is a real bummer to me.

Well they said it is a coupe-like hatchback so there is still some chance that it will look like a CLS given that is a "coupe-like sedan".

There are some coupe-like hatchbacks that look fairly good:
bmw_z4_3q_side.jpg

mazda-rx8-exterior.jpg

You can also design hatchbacks that don't look any different from a standard sedan:
mazda6_hatchback4.jpg

mazda6_hatchback3.jpg

Having Darryl Siry confirm some of the inconsistencies with the article is exactly what we need. A viable EV SUV is not possible until battery technologies move ahead by several degrees. Has Tesla confirmed the base Model S with 160-mile range? A number of sources indicated it would be > 200 miles for the base model.

When does the Model S waiting list start? :biggrin:

stopcrazy,

Coupes do not fit the promised 4 door approach. I am not apposed to a hatchback that looks like a sedan. As I said the lines of the hatchback are what bothers me. The Red car looks like a sedan from the outside and that is cool with me.

Iz,

I totally agree. I wish TM would make up their minds as to what in the world they are making. All this wishy washy crap is for the birds. It just tells me that they have no idea what it looks like yet and they are hedging all of their bets. My take of the situation and how I fell is they are just going to disappoint EVERYONE now. Sedan people are pissed. Cross Over and SUV people are pissed now and soon the Hatchback people will be pissed that it is not what they said. Lose lose lose all around.

Article says it is a Saloon. Which according to Wickipedia is a Sedan ...

A sedan car, American English terminology (saloon in British English), is one of the most common body styles of the modern automobile. At its most basic, the sedan is a passenger car with two rows of seats and adequate passenger space in the rear compartment for adult passengers. The vehicle most commonly has a separate trunk (boot in British English), for luggage at the rear. However, rear-engined sedans include models by Chevrolet, Tatra, and Volkswagen.

This adds even more confusion to the mix :confused: I am just thinking the more people that get their hopes up for what they want - like me - the more people that will be disappointed. A sedan is a 3 box car which means it is NOT a Hatchback. All this talk just makes TM sound stupid and ignorant. Makes them sound like they have no idea what it is that they are building.