Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla confirms recently updating Model S/X media computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The old MCU is a high failure item, and they'll eventual run out of spares. My Nov 2017 MX MCU failed in Jan, and the refurb they replaced it with is starting to act wonky. I just talked to a December 2017 MS owner who had the same issue. If my MCU fails again, I'm going to ask for a new Intel model, because going without heat and air for weeks sucks. Come on Tesla, it's time to improve quality!!!

The old MCU is a high failure item, and they'll eventual run out of spares. My Nov 2017 MX MCU failed in Jan, and the refurb they replaced it with is starting to act wonky. I just talked to a December 2017 MS owner who had the same issue. If my MCU fails again, I'm going to ask for a new Intel model, because going without heat and air for weeks sucks. Come on Tesla, it's time to improve quality!!!
What kind of issues were you getting from the MCU to call it a high failure item? I've had mine for almost 1.5 yr with 16k miles with no issue on the MCU.

What kind of issues were you getting from the MCU to call it a high failure item? I've had mine for almost 1.5 yr with 16k miles with no issue on the MCU.

Short version: My MCU failed at 2.3 years and 63K miles after logs weren’t analyzed in timely manner from a week prior. Had they been analyzed in a timely manner, the low voltage condition that I suspected was in fact the case would have been confirmed in time instead of the day after the failure.

Trust me, you don’t want the long version. But I’d recommend the ESA to anyone considering keeping their chariot more than 2-3 years.

well i didn't think it was a big deal until i saw this:

honestly since we are the "premium" model of Tesla we should be offered an upgrade to the MCU at owner's cost

i still don't think it's a performance issue but more of a perception issue, and the new MCU is clearly more responsive so much so that an upgrade should be allowed for those willing to pay for it

well i didn't think it was a big deal until i saw this:

honestly since we are the "premium" model of Tesla we should be offered an upgrade to the MCU at owner's cost

i still don't think it's a performance issue but more of a perception issue, and the new MCU is clearly more responsive so much so that an upgrade should be allowed for those willing to pay for it

very true. a model3 should never have a better MCU than an X or S.

Even a Model S built in 2012?
They should've put the new MCU in the X/S before putting it in the 3. EM has always said the S/X has better/more advanced technologies but reality says otherwise.

“We want to be super clear that Model 3 is not version 3 of our car. Model 3 is essentially a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S with fewer features,” Musk told investors. “Actually Model S will be better than Model 3, as it should be, because it’s a more expensive car.”

EM Tweet: "Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advanced technology."

Reactions: MIT_S60
They should've put the new MCU in the X/S before putting it in the 3. EM has always said the S/X has better/more advanced technologies but reality says otherwise.

“We want to be super clear that Model 3 is not version 3 of our car. Model 3 is essentially a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S with fewer features,” Musk told investors. “Actually Model S will be better than Model 3, as it should be, because it’s a more expensive car.”

EM Tweet: "Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advanced technology."

The issue with the Model 3 is whatever they put inside it, its going to have to stick for a LONG time and across 2 million cars. As soon as they could fit it on the S and X they did.

They cannot change the MCU, or AP hardware around it anytime soon or ever because pissing off 2 million people will not be good for PR.

I believe the Model 3 will be the closest thing that Tesla will have when it comes to "Model years" - like not expecting many changes from a Model 3 2018 to Model 3 2022.

If a HUD comes for example, it's not going to hit the 3 before the S. I'll bet every Tesla share I have double or nothing (who wants that bet?)

yes but I know I'm dreaming. at the very least, an X/S should always have the right to upgrade a part at owners cost.

I agree but the challenges are:

1 - Tesla really has to focus on Model 3 ramp and AP improvements for 2.0/2.5
2 - The cost is going to be -expensive- given the cost of labor in California. I'm not sure if selling something for $5,000 for faster web page browsing is a good value for them to offer to the customers. Maybe that changes later when the benefits are more concrete.

The issue with the Model 3 is whatever they put inside it, its going to have to stick for a LONG time and across 2 million cars. As soon as they could fit it on the S and X they did.

They cannot change the MCU, or AP hardware around it anytime soon or ever because pissing off 2 million people will not be good for PR.

I believe the Model 3 will be the closest thing that Tesla will have when it comes to "Model years" - like not expecting many changes from a Model 3 2018 to Model 3 2022.

If a HUD comes for example, it's not going to hit the 3 before the S. I'll bet every Tesla share I have double or nothing (who wants that bet?)
Ah so the 2 million people are people Tesla doesn't want to piss off. While those who spent $100k+, helped bringing Model 3 to production, are people Tesla has no intention to please.

Ah so the 2 million people are people Tesla doesn't want to piss off. While those who spent $100k+, helped bringing Model 3 to production, are people Tesla has no intention to please.

I'm one of those who helped bring the Model 3 to production so I understand.

Big picture is no one will be around to service our cars 3 years from now if Tesla cannot execute on the Model 3 launch.

I got my Model X uncorked for free, I think Tesla tries where they can.

If you can't even pay Tesla a sum $5000? its going to be something like:

1 - Resources are too taxed to even perform this retrofit.
2 - It would cost too much and provide too little return to justify it to the customers.

I think Tesla does read these forums so the 'voice has been heard' but if its not practical to do something, it's not practical to do something (for now at least).