Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Elon is winning at the game of pennies.

That's OK, holding TSLA long, one day a share will pay for an MCU2...
I'm glad you feel so charitable to the multi-billionaire sucking pennies from all of us.

Also - don't forget to ask the Tesla employees forced into an unpaid week of leave the last week of December how they feel. All so Elon can prop up his Q4 results.

Shame on him. Hope you don't condone stuff like this.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
I'm glad you feel so charitable to the multi-billionaire sucking pennies from all of us.

Also - don't forget to ask the Tesla employees forced into an unpaid week of leave the last week of December how they feel. All so Elon can prop up his Q4 results.

Shame on him. Hope you don't condone stuff like this.

No, but wall street does apparently.

It hurts the brand whenever he does bonehead things.

Just wanted to chime in on this thread.

All the usual issues others face. My frequency is roughly twice per week. Some times it reboots itself, other times the screen freezes completely and I have to force reset with the wheel buttons. I am presently on my 5th SC visit because of this. First time since the eMMC notification email I got the other day. I hope they replace it!

Correct me if I am wrong but one could certainly argue a complaint with the NHTSA due to lack of auditory notifications. I have been told the NHTSA only pays attention when you are talking about a safety concern. Last week on one of my reboots I had the car in FSD mode and was getting onto the highway. What alerted me to the failure was that the turn signal didn't make any sound and then I noticed my map was frozen to a place I was probably a mile ago. The car successfully completed the merge onto the highway. Now I am angrily tapping on the touch screen trying to see if there is any interaction. None. Now what I found absolutely startling is I feel my wheel moving in my hand and when I looked up from my touch screen to the road my car was in the middle of two lanes directly over a line! FSD was completing a lane change for me but I had no auditory notification that it was doing so. Now obviously there is the "pay attention at all times" argument and of course I was.. but to a less alert driver this could be deadly! There is a reason you can't turn off autopilot notification sounds.. Safety

Just wanted to chime in on this thread.

All the usual issues others face. My frequency is roughly twice per week. Some times it reboots itself, other times the screen freezes completely and I have to force reset with the wheel buttons. I am presently on my 5th SC visit because of this. First time since the eMMC notification email I got the other day. I hope they replace it!

Correct me if I am wrong but one could certainly argue a complaint with the NHTSA due to lack of auditory notifications. I have been told the NHTSA only pays attention when you are talking about a safety concern. Last week on one of my reboots I had the car in FSD mode and was getting onto the highway. What alerted me to the failure was that the turn signal didn't make any sound and then I noticed my map was frozen to a place I was probably a mile ago. The car successfully completed the merge onto the highway. Now I am angrily tapping on the touch screen trying to see if there is any interaction. None. Now what I found absolutely startling is I feel my wheel moving in my hand and when I looked up from my touch screen to the road my car was in the middle of two lanes directly over a line! FSD was completing a lane change for me but I had no auditory notification that it was doing so. Now obviously there is the "pay attention at all times" argument and of course I was.. but to a less alert driver this could be deadly! There is a reason you can't turn off autopilot notification sounds.. Safety

This is the issue with claiming FSD/MCU1 is ok.
If the navigation isnt reliable, MCU constantly crashing or freezing, how is in the hell is FSD going to work. Tesla may consider FSD working 70% of the time within spec. Not me

I had another symptom I have not noticed before. The other day my volume control became unresponsive. I could mute but not decrease or increase the volume. Tried different sources as well as advancing to next song/track and nothing changed. After stopping the car for 20 minutes I got the control back but it was sluggish. I need to give it a reboot probably.

Reactions: Akikiki
I had another symptom I have not noticed before. The other day my volume control became unresponsive. I could mute but not decrease or increase the volume. Tried different sources as well as advancing to next song/track and nothing changed. After stopping the car for 20 minutes I got the control back but it was sluggish. I need to give it a reboot probably.

i have the same issue with the volume being in responsive....re boot fix it

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I already have my mcu1 replaced under warranty with another mcu1 in Dec 2019. I am experiencing a variety of funny things from this thread like. Occasionally car is still on when I have walked away, won’t lock/unlock, lagging controls/music/nav, car takes 30 sec to wake half the time, “battery too low” when it’s charged up!, and the most annoying is getting in and closing the door and then it all goes dark and then everything comes after one second. I was waiting for the right time to submit a SC request and finally did last night. What put me over the edge was the SLOW supercharging.

copy and paste from ticket...
My car sometimes takes up to 30 sec to wake and boot up. Sometimes it will say “waiting for system”. Also, it doesn’t matter if I just used the car 10 Minutes ago. It will do it again. Also, when I open the door the car will wake and then I get in and close the door then everything goes dark and I wait for it to wake. Usually this always happens.

Slow supercharging. This is the same supercharger I used summer 2020 and same spot and no one else plugged in. I did not experience this slow rate of charge. Also the car would not wake while I was plugged in and inside the car for 15 minutes. SO I was sitting in the car with no heat or entertainment. This is unacceptable.

A few times this year I got a message that says your “battery is too low” this happens after a long wake up time. Please see me record log on December 11, 2020 around 12:30pm. (+/- 15minutes). That was the last time that message came up. This is worrisome.

I already have my mcu1 replaced under warranty with another mcu1 in Dec 2019.

My car sometimes takes up to 30 sec to wake and boot up. Sometimes it will say “waiting for system”. Also, it doesn’t matter if I just used the car 10 Minutes ago. It will do it again. Also, when I open the door the car will wake and then I get in and close the door then everything goes dark and I wait for it to wake.

Me too. Replaced in May 2020. I have the same intermittent issue on the 30 second-1minute boot up. As you noted, sometimes it's only a couple of idle minutes, and it still wakes and reboots. Sometimes it's weeks between happenings.

Slow supercharging. This is the same supercharger I used summer 2020 and same spot and no one else plugged in.

If it's an 85 battery....welcome to the batterygate club. Lots of threads about this. Mine was nerfed last spring. Runs at less than half speed. What used to be a 20-30 minute charge is now 1- 1 1/2 hours. I now use my ICE car for my 350 mile (550KM) trips to Montreal - as I need to stop twice in the cold weather months, and I'm not adding 2 1/2 - 3 hours to a 5 1/2 hour trip.

• Informative
Reactions: David.85D
Me too. Replaced in May 2020. I have the same intermittent issue on the 30 second-1minute boot up. As you noted, sometimes it's only a couple of idle minutes, and it still wakes and reboots. Sometimes it's weeks between happenings.

If it's an 85 battery....welcome to the batterygate club. Lots of threads about this. Mine was nerfed last spring. Runs at less than half speed. What used to be a 20-30 minute charge is now 1- 1 1/2 hours. I now use my ICE car for my 350 mile (550KM) trips to Montreal - as I need to stop twice in the cold weather months, and I'm not adding 2 1/2 - 3 hours to a 5 1/2 hour trip.
I hear Quebec is warm and breezy in December. Why not take a walk during the extra charging time ?

So I just got my vehicle and did a road trip to get the vehicle home. The MCU1 crashed on me multiple times. So I reset it after learning how. When I called Tesla they needed an exact time stamp to address it. Unable to supply this they still took a look but didn’t replace anything. :/ I guess I’ll have to wait until it gets much worse. Bummer because I hear many folks happy with the replacement. I also have FSD. But it doesn’t show on the monitor.

This is very possible. I’m still learning and only know what people tell me. Tesla service told me I have it. ‍♂️
Probably a corruption of the term "Full Self Driving". Since Tesla is only now releasing software to provide something close to "Full" Self Driving (but not really FSD yet), they have defined several degrees of FSD ranging from simple "AutoPilot" to (eventually) Full Self Driving. AP1 works on MCU1 (and could be affected by eMMC flakiness) and some of the features of the FSD "suite" will work on MCU1 but to have real FSD you will need an MCU upgrade.

Probably a corruption of the term "Full Self Driving". Since Tesla is only now releasing software to provide something close to "Full" Self Driving (but not really FSD yet), they have defined several degrees of FSD ranging from simple "AutoPilot" to (eventually) Full Self Driving. AP1 works on MCU1 (and could be affected by eMMC flakiness) and some of the features of the FSD "suite" will work on MCU1 but to have real FSD you will need an MCU upgrade.

Confused what you are trying to say. So we both agree Tesla is full of it claiming FSD will work fine with MCU1? Because a lot of people have HW3/mcu1.

I hear Quebec is warm and breezy in December. Why not take a walk during the extra charging time ?

LOL You've captured our winter weather perfectly
I usually stop at Belleville ON and Cornwall ON in winter. Both cities on the Lake Ontario/StLawrence River waterway. Here's a nice warm winter photo from this area
1FF74D52-7A47-43E5-9847-09C21F771D76.jpeg

Beaver Tails!

Nah....That's more of an Ottawa thing, although they have "Queues de Castor" in Montreal.
Montreal: Tortiere, Poutine, Montreal smoked meat from Schwartz's (beats the snot out of NY pastrami), and steamies

beavertails_-_beavertails_official_instagram.jpg