Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot-20201212-122425-Adobe-Acrobat.jpg

Took my 2017 Model S in for EMMC service. I told them I have video of the MCU freezing and rebooting. I also submitted bug reports after the reboot. They didn't even want to see the video. After running diagnosis I was told there was nothing wrong with the EMMC. The remedy was flashing the FPGA.

In a text message they also stated Tesla Engineers are working hard on releasing a new firmware that can resolve these issues.

I got the warning on the IC a couple of weeks ago and scheduled a service appointment. Wednesday, they cancelled because they don't have the part. But they did send me an email confirming the part order. That's better than last time they needed to order a part for me. (The didn't order the part, let me come in for the appointment before saying, hey, we need to order the part!)

It's a relief that I got the warning, because I'll be completely out of warranty in early February!

Suggest you check the email with the order. If it says "Ship date: Pending" you might be in for a wait. 9 weeks for me.

They might not replace the board even if it is in stock. I scheduled with the clear intent of paying for it but they indicated they would not replace it unless it was unresponsive.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
He was pointing out that the eMMC has nothing to do with the Tegra processor. You had mistakenly used that term when you were really talking/asking about the eMMC.
The new eMMC itself is prob not bad, just like mine prob isn’t bad. Most likely s/w issues/corner cases with handshakes between a new daughter board with the rest of the ecosystem.
egg-xactly

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Anybody got MCU2 upgraded instead of getting eMMC fixed after this program was announced? what's the discount they are offering who opt to go for MCU2 instead of eMMC upgrade after getting message on screen?

Just had MCU2 upgrade installed Wednesday. LOVE IT !!! My 2015 P85D feels NEW again !!!

NO MCU2 discount... Not even after documenting my MCU1 crashes, freezes, sluggishness, etc. with date & time stamped videos and pictures.

Just had MCU2 upgrade installed Wednesday. LOVE IT !!! My 2015 P85D feels NEW again !!!

NO MCU2 discount... Not even after documenting my MCU1 crashes, freezes, sluggishness, etc. with date & time stamped videos and pictures.

Looks like you lost this round of the "game of pennies" But on the bright side, you will be keeping you car longer which is more sustainable.

Looks like you lost this round of the "game of pennies" But on the bright side, you will be keeping you car longer which is more sustainable.

"Game of Pennies" :D

We typically keep our cars 10 years. Will probably keep my 2015 P85D until we can get a Performance Tesla with 500 mile range that FSD actually works... Hopefully before our P85D warranty runs out July 2023.

Reactions: morrisdl
"Game of Pennies" :D

We typically keep our cars 10 years. Will probably keep my 2015 P85D until we can get a Performance Tesla with 500 mile range that FSD actually works... Hopefully before our P85D warranty runs out July 2023.

Last car is still the daily driver at 463k and 26 years...now I have a plaid and CT on order.

Don't know what went wrong, blame it on Tesla I guess.

The range is really what I'd like to have over my 15 85D. It stays in chill mode all the time.

He was pointing out that the eMMC has nothing to do with the Tegra processor. You had mistakenly used that term when you were really talking/asking about the eMMC.
The new eMMC itself is prob not bad, just like mine prob isn’t bad. Most likely s/w issues/corner cases with handshakes between a new daughter board with the rest of the ecosystem.

Apologies,I should have included the missing letters DB in my final statement to clarify that I meant the Daughter Board (with included eMMC chip) replacement of the Tegra 'ecosystem' is not the fix to the corrupted display/lockup issues that we have been experiencing. I had incorrectly assumed that would have been inferred by the reader since I had previously stated that my DB was replaced, so thank you for clearing that up for everyone else who isn't technical :) Fixed below for additional clarity:

Same! I had lockup and corrupted graphics about a month AFTER the daughter board replacement. When they did the replacement they did a full factory reset. I opened another service appointment today and they asked me to do another full factory reset and they were re-pushing the same 2020.9.4.2 firmware to my car. It doesn't seem like this Tegra DB chip is really fixing the issue. :rolleyes:

I wanted to let everyone know not to expect things to be working 100% smoothly once they do get their Tegra Daughter board (2728211-S0-A) replaced since I am still experiencing issues after my replacement.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Anybody got MCU2 upgraded instead of getting eMMC fixed after this program was announced? what's the discount they are offering who opt to go for MCU2 instead of eMMC upgrade after getting message on screen?
In the announcement about the Warranty Adjustment Program, they tell us that after Feb 2021 they will have news regarding refunds or compensation for those that spent money on this issue. there's no more details. We don't know if it includes or excludes MCU2 upgrades, MCU1 replacement cost that were very high compared to Tegra board replacement that are reasonably priced. So stay tuned for more news in Feb/after

Reactions: c0smicdirt
In the announcement about the Warranty Adjustment Program, they tell us that after Feb 2021 they will have news regarding refunds or compensation for those that spent money on this issue. there's no more details. We don't know if it includes or excludes MCU2 upgrades, MCU1 replacement cost that were very high compared to Tegra board replacement that are reasonably priced. So stay tuned for more news in Feb/after

Thanks Akikiki. I found this on the FAQ page - So I guess it's going to be simply around $50 for the eMMC card and $100 labor, probably $250 max reimbursement. Any thoughts?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I opted to purchase the Infotainment Upgrade, will I receive reimbursement from Tesla? 

If you paid for Tesla’s Infotainment Upgrade after Tesla Service diagnosed that your vehicle’s eMMC was malfunctioning due to accumulated wear, you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade.

More information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursements will be available by or before February 2021.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reactions: Akikiki
I'm almost decided to upgrade to MCU2 instead of eMMC replacement. But after HW2.0 to 3.0 and MCU1 to MCU2 on my MS 2017, what features will still be missing compared to factory HW3.0 and MCU2 with respect to FSD and MCU2 features? I know I loose FM with MCU2(unless I pay another $500 for FM which I don't want to), are there more such things I will not get? Loss of settings are fine. But I want to know if I will miss out on Games, Netflix, FSD Visualization etc., compared to a stock/factory Model S with MCU2 and HW3.0

Thanks Akikiki. I found this on the FAQ page - So I guess it's going to be simply around $50 for the eMMC card and $100 labor, probably $250 max reimbursement. Any thoughts?

That isn't what it says at all:
you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade.

So if your MCU1 failed out of warranty, and at the time they were still only replacing the full MCU for a cost of $1,600 and you opted for the $2,500 MCU2 upgrade instead you should get $1,600 back, as that was the cost of the eMMC repair at the time of your upgrade.

So if your MCU1 failed out of warranty, and at the time they were still only replacing the full MCU for a cost of $1,600 and you opted for the $2,500 MCU2 upgrade instead you should get $1,600 back, as that was the cost of the eMMC repair at the time of your upgrade.

I'm not sure how you were able to interpret the "failed out of warranty" part from the FAQ I shared.

As far as I know 8 gb eMMC repair cost is NOT the same as MCU1 replacement cost. So, I assumed the reimbursement is going to be cost of the 64 gb eMMC card + labor.

According to you, what do you think I will get as reimbursement if I opt for MCU2 instead of 64 gb eMMC on MCU1? I'm still under warranty with 11 months left, the error message on my screen shows "Center Display storage device degraded - Ok to drive - Use mobile app to schedule service".

I'm not sure how you were able to interpret the "failed out of warranty" part from the FAQ I shared.

Well if it was failed in warranty the repair cost would be $0, so you would be due no discount.

As far as I know 8 gb eMMC repair cost is NOT the same as MCU1 replacement cost. So, I assumed the reimbursement is going to be cost of the 64 gb eMMC card + labor.

Originally a full MCU replacement was the only repair option Tesla offered. Some people paid ~$2,600 for that repair, and they should get all of the money back.

According to you, what do you think I will get as reimbursement if I opt for MCU2 instead of 64 gb eMMC on MCU1? I'm still under warranty with 11 months left, the error message on my screen shows "Center Display storage device degraded - Ok to drive - Use mobile app to schedule service".

I don't know that Tesla is offering the discount now, though at least one person has said they do. (The reimbursement was for upgrades done instead of repairs before the warranty extension.) But if they do offer a discount now, the current eMMC repair is $120 for the part plus ~$300 for labor. So it would be ~$420.

Some people paid over $2000 for mcu upgrades, I believe some were even close to $3000 at one time.

Some people paid over $2000 for mcu upgrades, I believe some were even close to $3000 at one time.

MCU upgrades have always been, and still are, $2,500, or $2,250 if you kept your old screen. MCU1 replacement costs have varied over time, but in relation to the question, I don't think the MCU1 replacement ever cost more than ~$1,600 while the MCU2 upgrade was available.