Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla created secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslas, by default, show "miles remaining" simply based on EPA rated for mixed driving. At least it seems to adjust it for actual pack capacity. Drive on the highway at speed and you'll not make those numbers. Drive conservatively in the city, and you might best them. What of the average consumer? The car says right on its screen it can go 351 miles... why should it go any less!

Other manufacturers provide a range estimate based on recent and current driving conditions. I've always thought Tesla's choice in the matter was a terrible shortcut that ultimately results in people overestimating the range of their cars in real world driving. That EVs have less range on the highway is counterintuitive to people used to ICE vehicles. Further, that cold weather can cut range in half is one of those fine print things new drivers are simply not expecting. Companies selling EVs would rather not mention it for fear of losing the sale. Today's profits at the expense of repeat customers.

We keep our car set to Percentage. The Rated Range display is not in the least bit useful, unless you're doing an EPA Range Test.
I have a 2021 Model 3, awd lr,,,,at to get close to 353 miles at %100 charge , I think I would have to drive at a speed that is impossible to drive anywhere except out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe 30 miles and hour of a flat road, no wind. Not a reality. Exaggeration? yes. I know of a few miles per charge tests like this>
300 miles at 70 mph. So..what steady speed to get the 353 miles that Tesla advertises...50 MPH? or? less? more?

Last edited:
I have a 2021 Model 3, awd lr,,,,at to get close to 353 miles at %100 charge , I think I would have to drive at a speed that is impossible to drive anywhere except out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe 30 miles and hour of a flat road, no wind. Not a reality. Exaggeration? yes. I know of a few miles per charge tests like this>
300 miles at 70 mph. So..what steady speed to get the 353 miles that Tesla advertises...50 MPH? or? less? more?
Try it to see if your assumption is correct. We will be interested in your results.

Try it to see if your assumption is correct. We will be interested in your results.
yeah, I posted that test..I know he got 300 miles at a full charge. What I am asking is at what speed would you have to go to get the Tesla Spec of 353 miles per charge..that is all I am asking. Obviously not at 70mph. Yes, I don't really care, I use percentage...it is still a questionable business practice by Musk.

Last edited:
What I am asking is at what speed would you have to go to get the Tesla Spec of 353 miles per charge..that is all I am asking. Obviously not at 70mph. Yes, I don't really care, I use percentage...it is still a questionable business practice by Musk.
You would have to drive the EPA test cycle to get the advertised range.

And you do realize that they are required to only publish the EPA rated range figure right? Tesla runs the tests/calculations the EPA requires and uses those numbers. (In some cases the EPA did the tests themselves and told Tesla what number to advertise.)

The EPA really needs to update/fix their tests and require everyone to use the same tests. So at least you can really compare across manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
Yes, but it is a totally self-inflicted injury

A good example of spending many tens of thousands of dollars to respond to a symptom instead of fixing the cause for a a fraction of that.

Basically Tesla's default for showing battery status should be percentage, just like other battery-powered consumer devices.

Telsa displaying the misleading "EPA miles" instead of percentage just creates this perception problem.

Reactions: GalacticHero